Best Lightpipe Pre's?

bileshake

I'm recently considering the m-audio lightbridge and I'm wondering what's out there for the best value in 8ch mic pre's with adat out.

That ART unit looks interesting, but it isn't lightpipe from what I can tell. Firewire, but no lightpipe.

SonicAlbert said:
That ART unit looks interesting, but it isn't lightpipe from what I can tell. Firewire, but no lightpipe.
For some reason I thought it was. Thanks for the correction.

boogietube said:
Behringer ADA-8000
Presonus DIGIMAX FS
M-Audio Octane
SM Pro Audio PR8MKII + PR8IIA - ADAT Output
That's all I'm aware of that are cost effective.

Of these, which are the nicest Pres...overall...would be used for everything from drum mics to vocals to guitars to horns.

Anyone know what the SM Pro Audio PR8MKII goes for with the ADAT card? I've never seen this rack before. I like the idea of having an insert on each track. Sweet.
I keep thinking the Octane probably the best bet for tracking drums since it has all the little tricks on different channels I think could come in handy. Phase flip, low cut etc. And it's pretty cheap in comparison.

A friend of mine uses a Presonus eight channel unit for recording drums and is very happy with it. He's a professional drummer and records all sorts of stuff commercially. I think the unit he has is a Digimax LT.

Guitardude324 said:
Of these, which are the nicest Pres...overall...would be used for everything from drum mics to vocals to guitars to horns.

If that were my list I'd get the Digimax. We've owned 3 of them and will almost certainly buy another one at some point. They're great utility preamps and do reasonably well on most all sources.

I wouldn't even consider anything else on that list (but that's just me).

The RME Octamic D is a pretty good choice as indicated above, but it's about twice the price of everything else on the list. For that kind of money the Mackie Onyx 800R smokes it (I've owned both - sold the RME and kept the Mackie)

I guess I narrowed it down to the Digimax I just have to decide between FS or LT. They both seem to do what I want I'll just have to look at the specs and see what the difference is. Other than that I like the fact that the LT has all the I/O on the back.

Back