Best Kit for in the $500-$600 range (shells)

lost studios

Hello folks... A drummer friend of mine is looking at kits (just shells and basic included hardware). He seems to really like Yamaha SCA, Sonor Force, and Pearl Exports... He would like a 5 piece kit with a 14" snare, 12" & 14" rack toms, and a 16" floor.... and a 18" kick.

Can you recommend something in the $500-600 range?

I suggest going to the local SamAsh or other music store and playing what they have there. It's all about sound.
Ask them to show you the sets for under $600, and play them all...

Based on the ones I've played, I reccomend a Tama Rockstar or Rockstar Custom. The Rockstar Custom's are about $200 more, but have a better finish than the Rockstar's.

Lost Studios,
I see that you're in Brooklyn, I lived there for a while, I love Brooklyn. You're not too far from the GC in Carle Place, NY (that's on Long Island between Westbury and Mineola) They usually have many used sets for sale (all in real good shape) Yamaha,Tama, Ludwig, Pearl etc. A 5 piece Pearl export can often be had for just over $300 and under $400.
I've been pricing the Yamaha
Custom Maple Absolute (a top-of-the-line set) and The fellows at LI Drum Center in Plainview can hook me up with a 5 piece shell set used for about $800 (22" kick, 12" and 13" mounted toms, 14" and 16" floor toms, sorry no snare for this set). I know that's more than you wanted to spend but it's well worth it. A used Tama Starclassic (Birch shells) can often be had for well under $1000.( a really excellent set).
Sam Ash has their own line of drums, Sound Percussion, and they are usually not that great, however, they produce a 4 piece gig set with solid maple shells and snare- 18" kick, 12" mounted tom, 14" floor, 14" snare that really sound great (I like it better than the Yamaha gig set, and I love Yamaha drums.) This set is available for $389 brand new. The hardware is also quite good.

Thanks for the tips...

Rimshot. I've been to that GC in LI. Nice place. The guitarist in my band lives in Ronkonkoma so I'm out there often. BTW... I LOVE Brooklyn as well!!! :D

ls

CORRECTION

OOPS! Sam Ash's house label for drums is GROOVE PERCUSSION not Sound Percussion. They might actually be the same outfit that makes both, but Sound Percussion is in GC.
I have encouraged a number of drummers to purchase the Groove Percussion gig set and they have been very pleasantly surprised with the quality and the sound. That little 18" kick of solid maple puts out a big sound.
BTW I don't work for any musical instruments company. I just try to pass on good ideas.

tmix said:
Pacific Maples
(Made by DW)

I have to agree with you on those. I was just in my local Sam Ash and they had a set of the Pacific Maples and a set of the Pacific Birch and they are really SWEET sets, and only $499 for a 5 piece. The only real difference that I could detect between the Pacific and the DW was in the shape of the hardware and a slightly less polished finish. As for sound...they are real solid.

I have an addendum to my previous post: It seems tha Sam Ash has changed the configuration of the Groove Percussion Gig Sets. They are much smaller drums now. The kick is only 16", the snare is 12", the mounted tom is a 10" and the hanging floor tom is 12". I is still a very well made kit, but now MUCH smaller and less attractive to me. The new price is $379 and they throw in a couple of cymbals, a hi-hat stand and a cheap throne. Ah, well. Go for the Pacifics.

if you can get the pacific maple kit for 500 that's a no-brainer.

i've found it for 600.00 everywhere i've looked. the sam ash website has it at 600.00.

Back