Best interface for your buck?

Lkoz91

I wanna get an audio interface to record myself singing and playing the guitar for now. Further down the line when I have enough money to buy some SM 57s I want to be able to record drums because that is my main instrument. I'm also currently a student in Drexel's music industry program and would like something that I won't have to replace further down the line but is still affordable and around the 500 price range. I was leaning towards the presonus firestudio but really don't know much about interfaces. This will be my first one so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I wanna get an audio interface to record myself singing and playing the guitar for now. Further down the line when I have enough money to buy some SM 57s I want to be able to record drums because that is my main instrument. I'm also currently a student in Drexel's music industry program and would like something that I won't have to replace further down the line but is still affordable and around the 500 price range. I was leaning towards the presonus firestudio but really don't know much about interfaces. This will be my first one so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

The Zoom R16 represents an outstanding bang for the buck deal. You get an 8 channel mixer, 8 in 8 out USB interface (@24bit/44.1khz) and a control surface for your DAW all in one package. It also can be pressed into duty as a stand alone recorder that can handle up to 16 tracks and store them on SD cards. It will also record at 24/48 or 24/96, 2 tracks simultaneously. It also has onboard FX and guitar processor fx as well...very versitle little piece of gear.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/r16/

I own one and I can highly recommend it. And, it's $400 @ Sweetwater.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16

Last edited:
that looks like an amazing deal for the price they're asking for. Will it limit me with any features compared to the firestudio? What are the big differences between the two because it seems like the R16 can do a lot more than the firestudio. Also, will I be able to hook up the r16 to my laptop using logic and clip it through my daw while recording? Can the recordings go straight to the computer instead of being saved on the R16?

that looks like an amazing deal for the price they're asking for. Will it limit me with any features compared to the firestudio? What are the big differences between the two because it seems like the R16 can do a lot more than the firestudio. Also, will I be able to hook up the r16 to my laptop using logic and clip it through my daw while recording? Can the recordings go straight to the computer instead of being saved on the R16?

I don't know which Firestudio model you're looking at, but I'll assume it's something like the Firestudio Project.

The FS likely has better mic pre's than the Zoom, although the Zoom's are usable...and I think the FS supports a higher sample rate with 8x8functionality, (although I'm having a hard time verifying this...Presonus doesn't really say) whereas the Zoom will only output 8 channels at 44.1khz.

It's only $100 higher than the Zoom and it does support 64bit OS, which the Zoom does not at this time.

And yeah, the Zoom can be used as a USB interface for your DAW.:cool:

The first two are fairly exceptional audio interfaces.
The Zoom R16 is an audio interface, stand alone recorder and a control surface for DAWs.
Hope that makes sense to you.

really appreciate the help btw

I can break these down for you but the summary version:

FS tube has 2 channels of dedicated tube preamps. The FS boxes have some 5.1 surround monitoring functionality....Both FS units have better pre's than the Zoom. The Zoom has a superior user interface...the layout is pretty intuitive. The Zoom also trumps the FS units as the Zoom also serves as a control surface for your DAW...you can use the faders and transport control to contol your mixes on your computer instead of mousing faders, et al.
Both FS units have a better sample rate : throughput than the Zoom...that is both will stream 8 channels at 48khz at least, and probably higher. The Zoom is $100 and $200 cheaper.
Here's a good guide to compare features:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/audio_interface_fw_comparison_chart.htm

http://www.tweakheadz.com/audio_interface_fw_comparison_chart.htm

The Zoom is not covered in the Tweak comparison but is probably one of the better USB interfaces...certainly at it's price point.

You have to determine how important those higher bit rate and sample rates are to you balanced against the superior user interface of the Zoom and the control surface funtionality. For the home recorder, the benefits of higher rates are pretty thin. 16/44.1 is still the CD standard and it is for a reason....it sounds great. I have no reservations about limiting myself to 24 bits and 44.1 khz. But, you need to make that decision for yourself...read up on it a bit.:cool:

Last edited:
Although it's not what I'd ideally be using because I want high end and it isn't, I'm using a Delta 1010LT. To me, it's a bargain because:

8 in 10 out
MIDI in/out
Word Clock
S/PDIF in/out
great on board mixer for monitoring
24/96 recording
works with Mac OS 9, OS X and Windows
$100 used on eBay, sometimes a bit more, sometimes even $80

I wouldn't know how to install a soundcard and would feel much better buying an external interface. I think I'm gonna go with the zoom. Seems like a really friendly interface for someone beginning in recording.

I wouldn't know how to install a soundcard and would feel much better buying an external interface. I think I'm gonna go with the zoom. Seems like a really friendly interface for someone beginning in recording.

Let me know if you get one and I'll hook you up with some very good Zoom forums. The manual is, ummmmm, somewhat lacking.:(

Ok, the manual is shit.:D

I beg to differ.

Hey lkoz91,

I am in the same position you are:debating on what "begginer" interface to get that will serve me well for at least a year until I can afford to make a major upgrade that will translate into a noticable improvement in my mixes. I say "noticable improvement" because from the research I have done, upgrading from a $500 interface to an $800 one hardly qualifies as an upgrade (of course there are other factors involved too that would prove this point wrong or right). Now that said, I am assuming you know that an audio interface is a box that houses two key components of your signal path from the mic to the DAW; the pre-amp(s) and converter(s). The pros get these components seperately and for a good reason; they are dedicated to their respective jobs and hence generally "better" than those you would find bundled in interfaces and mixers, which sometimes try to incorporate a million other features you might never need. But for those of us starting out, the real good dedicated pres and converters are not within the reach of our wallets so we have to settle for less (cheap interfaces).

Now this is where things get thick; which "cheap" interface should you get? Well for starters, it depends on what you intend to use it for. You mentioned recording a guitar and vocals. I'm not sure if you are recording both the guitar and the vocal at the same time (you would need two in-puts for this). If you are recording them seperately, you would only need one in-put (not sure there exists an interface with one in-put though). Either way, if two in-puts is all you need for now, I would strongly suggest you get an interface with just that, two in-puts. The reason I say this is because if you compare some of the multi-in-put interfaces people have suggested here that you get, with a "good" two-in-put interface of the SAME PRICE, chances are very high that the pre's and converters on the two in-put interface are way superior to the 8+ in-put ones. IF every input has it's own pre, then an 8+ input interface will have 8+ pre's and a 2-in-put interface will have 2 pre's. Now if both these units are the same price, which one do you think has the superior pre's? Basically, you get what you pay for and if a company bundles a million components and features in a "cheap" interface, be sure that those a million components are cheap and highly-likely of low quality.

Now that said, you mentioned you will be using logic which means you are on a mac. Same here. May I suggest you look at the apogee duet
( http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Duet/ ) which is exclusively for the mac. I have not used it myself but I am strongly leaning towards it as I have heard/read very good things about it. It has all I need and nothing I don't.

Good Luck.

*addition*

ammmm...I'm not sure where I got that "logic" part (maybe from a difeerent post...damn, I need a drink). But either way...you get the point...it applies to both Mac and PC so whichever platform you are on, find something suitable for you.

Last edited:
Well I'm looking to record drums so I would need at least an 8 in. Thats why I'm debating between the Firestudio and the R16. I'm leaning more towards the R16 because it's cheaper and will be a good entry level piece of equiptment to practice recording on.

Oh and there is a 1 input: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...h-Microphone?sku=502416&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Apogee just seems like you're paying for an easy user interface, like everything else apple endorses. But I guess the mbox pro is around the same price, so maybe not. Forgot how expensive everything is in the music industry!

Does the zoom link up with their MRT3 drum machine like the MRT4 does?

If it does Id highly recommend one to anyone owning these zoom machines...I picked one up recently and it is awesome for lack of a better word..excellent little machine, great samples and very easy to programme..plus it syncs with the zoom interface automatically

Does the zoom link up with their MRT3 drum machine like the MRT4 does?

If it does Id highly recommend one to anyone owning these zoom machines...I picked one up recently and it is awesome for lack of a better word..excellent little machine, great samples and very easy to programme..plus it sincs with the zoom interface automatically

I have no idea. The manual doesn't mention anything about that, but then again, there's quite a few things the manual doesn't mention.:D

yeah all my manuals have been translated into Mandarin, then German, then English I think...especially Roland ones for some reason

Well the MRT3 cost less than $100 and it beats some of my software for sample sounds...its also tiny, runs on batteries for hours. and has a brazillion presets to get you started or to edit

does quantisize everything so not suited as your one an only drum option but more fun than a bag of vaginas :)

Back