...best guitar for dedicated slide set-up...

fonts

...I'm thinking Les Paul because they are tanks and can withstand the alternate tunings and heavy strings etc...anyone?

I use a Les Paul for slide playing. Another advantage they have is the flater neck radius. I wouldn't spend too much on one though. I think that cheap guitars sound better for playing slide. Nasty sounding tone.

...such as Pagey's Danny?...hmmmm...always liked Allman's tone though...can you suggest some more cheapies please?...

I'd find a LP copy with horrible action. Basicly a stick O' wood with good electronics. I have an old Benly LP copy that I replaced the pots and pickups in with the action about a half inch off the neck that works out pretty well.

fonts said:
...such as Pagey's Danny?...hmmmm...always liked Allman's tone though...can you suggest some more cheapies please?...

Hounddog Tayler used a really cheap jap guitar he bought at Sears.

Yeah. Since it's just being played with a slide and not fingered. That way the slide doesn't knock on the frets. I just crank on some .13's and there you are. Of course you need a come along to tune the sonofabitch and from a profile view it kind of looks like a six string compound bow.

Track Rat said:
Yeah. Since it's just being played with a slide and not fingered. That way the slide doesn't knock on the frets. I just crank on some .13's and there you are. Of course you need a come along to tune the sonofabitch and from a profile view it kind of looks like a six string compound bow.

...heh,heh...adjustable scale-length compound bow...

I’m using 10s on a 72 re-issue thin line Tele tuned to open E.

I started off using it in standard tuning, thought it sounded nice but it played like a dog. So, I got rid of the horrible standard saddles, put on some graphtechs, raised the action, tuned her up to open E and....cool, sound great !

Dr_simon said:
I’m using 10s on a 72 re-issue thin line Tele tuned to open E.

I started off using it in standard tuning, thought it sounded nice but it played like a dog. So, I got rid of the horrible standard saddles, put on some graphtechs, raised the action, tuned her up to open E and....cool, sound great !

...what kind of amp(s) do you run this setup through?...

...thanks foo, someday I want one of your avatars also-do you have one and does it play decent for fretting also?...

Dr_simon said:
Fonts, it is into either a Pod Pro or a GNX2

...cool, doc...I can only recall seeing one guy use a slide on a tele(tho I'm sure there's plenty) and that was Muddy...

I do my slide work on an old Tiesco that I picked up in a junk store for practically nothing. It's ugly as hell but old
tiesco pick ups bring out some of the best "slur" sounds and that is what I like for slide. Also i use an open D tuning, like a dobro and a really heavy slide, the extra weight helps me to eliminate some of the buzz and rattle.

Check out:

that is the tele gowing into the pod (9D). I was aiming for a Muddy Waters -ish sound

Last edited:
...link no worky-worky but it might be my end...soooooo, I struck a chord with the Muddy comment, hmm?...Muddy was one of the all-time greats-my old piano player used to pattern himself after Pinetop Perkins...

...I don't know why but sometimes stuff will not play on this thing...some links play, others don't...

Back