Best free or cheap web hosting for musicians ? ?

rxkevco

Hi all,,
Not been on the forum for some time now,,, divorce,,,illness etc,, but have been quite active with my songwriting now i have a bit more time to myself !

I am looking for a free or cheap website of my own, to showcase 3 or 4 of my songs in wma/mp3 format, and to have a handful of photographs and a bit of speil about myself.
I quite like one of the templates on www.freewebs, but to be honest i cant get anything more than photos uploaded. The site wont let me upload any of my songs at all....

Whats the best way to move forward,,, any advice would be greatly appreciated,, cheers kev

I use doteasy to host my sites.. they're super cheap and sometimes you can get really good deals on domain names.. sites like soundclick and myspace are a great tool but they do not replace an actual website.

Do you have any design or programming skills? If not find someone who can design you a decent site. pm if you're interested on going this way.. it's actually what I do.. it sounds like you want something super simple..

Better off to use an mp3 hosting site for now and then take your time to work on your own site.

I was using dmusic however that site is F'd up right now due to servers or something and partial outage...whatever you call it the site isnt working anymore.

So Ive gone to mp3.com now and im posting my tunes there for free and they give you 100MB to use on free account...you can upload photos,video plus you can post in your own blog...also you can you can group your songs in an album with cover image...kind of a nice touch.

Site works well for me plus you get more traffic to your tunes on mp3.com...I am also working on my own site however its not done and it will be tough to get any type of traffic to it once its done.

If you sign up or after you sign up to mp3 to access your account click on the arrow top right of page and click on your account name/band name artists name...You can hear your songs right away however it may take some time to become live...also you can choose to let people download your tunes as well.

People can leave reviews to your songs as well.

My account is here.
http://www.mp3.com/artist/travelers-tale/summary/

I have some singles up plus one album Snow capped Mountain Moonlight...im somewhat new to recording so my recordings are average sounding...nothing pro sounding or spectacular yet however Im trying to improve.

You can use a free MP3 hosting site. Personally, I like having total control over the content/design of my site so I got my own. My friend is hosting mine for free, but he offers hosting for extremely cheap. Like $5/mo I think. And you have your very own site, with:

PHP/MySQL database
FTP accounts for uploading files
cPanel that includes pretty much everything
Starts off at 1GB/mo bandwidth, but if you need more he is reasonable and will probably increase it. (1GB/mo is only about 333 MP3 downloads per month on average).

If you're interested, let me know and I'll have him setup an account for you. This doesn't include a domain name (a www.something.com). That costs about $5 from 1and1: http://www.1and1.com/

For whatever the cost of that is, he can set it up for you if you like.

Back