Votes: 30 23.8%
  • Presonus Firepod

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • Echo AudioFire 12

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Mackie Onyx 400F

Votes: 19 15.1%

• Total voters
How 'bout including an option for 'other' the next time you start a poll?

I've never started one --- do they let you modify the choices if you're the poll starter?

studiomaster said:
How come no one likes the MOTU 828? :o

Do you run a Mac?

Seems like I've heard over and over how MOTU doesn't support Windoze nearly as much as MAC. I would think the pre's in the MOTU aren't up to the Mackie or definitely not up to what's in the i88x. And I can't seem to find spec's on the MOTU sight. At least not any detailed spec's. Mackie does a great job of that and details even the converters they use. Yamaha support is nearly worthless from what I hear.

Looks like the 400F is having a lot of problems (check out the Mackie forums) so I would be a little hesitant for now. Too bad, looks like a great unit.

I use a PC, yeah. Lots of users are having a good time with MOTU's on their PC's.
What do you think about that Tascam FW-1082? Do you think it sounds better than the 828mkII?

therage! said:
Do you run a Mac?

Seems like I've heard over and over how MOTU doesn't support Windoze nearly as much as MAC. I would think the pre's in the MOTU aren't up to the Mackie or definitely not up to what's in the i88x. And I can't seem to find spec's on the MOTU sight. At least not any detailed spec's. Mackie does a great job of that and details even the converters they use. Yamaha support is nearly worthless from what I hear.

Looks like the 400F is having a lot of problems (check out the Mackie forums) so I would be a little hesitant for now. Too bad, looks like a great unit.

Count me as one person who had zero issues on a PC. I had the older 896 and it ran like a top. I have seen people talk about their PC woes though - guess I was a lucky bastard. I really liked the 896, but wasn't ecstatic about the pre's on it.

Also owned a Firepod last year and tracked a demo project for my Dad's band using it. I was pretty pleased with it, and it ran flawlessly on my PC using Sonar 4. The pre's a really decent IMO, I just missed a software control panel and wanted expandability for using Word Clock ins/outs.

Now I'm using a Echo Layla 3G and I really love it. It's PCI, but quality wise, it's similar to the Audiofire units. Great A/D & D/A IMO, and very solid drivers for PC. Thought about getting an Audiofire, but went with the Layla 3G instead (didn't really need Firewire portability).

PCs are good if you
A= Spend a little time learning basic operation and maintenance
B= Want supreme customizability and compatibility
C= DOn't mind paying less for more.

djhead said:
PCs are good if you
A= Spend a little time learning basic operation and maintenance
B= Want supreme customizability and compatibility
C= DOn't mind paying less for more.

I'd agree on all points above.

It's taken some work getting my PC optimized, but the work has paid off because I'm running Sonar 5 and am enjoying glitch free recording with my Echo Layla 3G.

Ohh yeah, my custom self-built PC didn't cost me an arm and a leg either. :D

Guys, do you think the MOTU 828 will do me good? I love the sound of it and features are awesome as well. My Windows is fully optimized for audio and runs smooth.

what does that mean anyway? Fully optimized? Like following those guides that tell you to turn off certain things and strip down the bells and whistles?

studiomaster said:
Anyone else care to vote??
Maybe I should have included one of the foolish 'smiles' --- as I seldom do --- with my post.

I asked because I wanted to know, not to have you ignore me.

:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D

"Motu don't work on a PC" is garbage.

Been using an 828mkII on an XP laptop with a Glyph firewire drive for over a year.

ZERO problems.

TimOBrien said:
"Motu don't work on a PC" is garbage.

Been using an 828mkII on an XP laptop with a Glyph firewire drive for over a year.

ZERO problems.

I'm with you bro! :) It works like a beast on mine. ;)

i HAVE A motu 828II to sell... anyone have a clue where??? I don't do ebay.

I guess $400 WITH logic6 IS A GOOD DEAL. 813 377 5707 i AM IN florida> WILL SHIP COD

i use a MOTU 828MkII and have had absolutely no probs with it , I use it in conjunction with a soundcraft ES mixer board and some outboard effects units and it totally integrates my outboard gear with my computer based recording.

I didnt like the presonus for studio work because i dont like having all the cables hanging out the front of the rack , plus the place that sells them locally has had a 20% failiure rate with the firepods and fireboxes.

Not sure if the firepod can , but the MOTU can store preset profiles and can be used in standalone mode without being used on with a PC. this is great for live work if need be.

2 motu828 can be firewire daisy chained for more ins-outs .

If you can stand to add some highs to your recordings, and, as said, have all your cables hanging out the front of your rack, you will be good with a Firepod.

Back