Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Urine

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Don't ever clean cymbals...ever!

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

scrubs

Not of sound mind
I got a used cymbal (k custom session crash) on e-bay and, while I like the tone, it's a little darker than sound samples I had heard. It is also quite tarnished, so I'm thinking about cleaning it in hopes of brightening the sound a little. However, I don't want to remove any of the lettering, which seems to be a complaint about commercially available cleaners/polishes. What do you like? Should I just polish the areas around the lettering? Any tips/tricks for cleaning are appreciated.

Poll to follow.

I know this probably doesn't help.. I used to work at Guitar Center and we just opened a bottle of cleaner that they sold there and cleaned the new cymbals with it. No lettering fade or anything and they shined up real good. Gimme a few minutes and I'll try to look on the website and find what it was...

Okay I checked it out, I'm pretty sure it was sabian cymbal polish.... I dunno if it's like a hate crime to use sabian polish on zildjian cymbals but I think it will clean your K custom up good. I don't think you will need to worry about cleaning around the letters or anything like that... Just don't use brasso cuz that will for sure strip the badges off of it..

BTW I noticed you put dish soap as one of your choices. Has anyone tried that? It seems like it would be less abrasive, but would leave streaks...it WOULD dissolve the oils that cause it to turn green though....

sirslurpee said:
BTW I noticed you put dish soap as one of your choices. Has anyone tried that? It seems like it would be less abrasive, but would leave streaks...it WOULD dissolve the oils that cause it to turn green though....

I had seen it mentioned on a couple of drum forums. I'd use Cascade with "sheeting action" to avoid the streaks. :p

FYI...

I used to use Amway metal cleaner but I can hardly find it anymore. There is a lot of controversy over the Amway Company in the US so, they must be going away.

Anyway, that product worked better than any I have ever used in the past 30 years. (And believe me, I have tried them all.) You just squirt a little on, swirl it around lightly with a damp clothe, and rinse with water. Your cymbals will look brand new again. It got off the dirt, tarnish, black fingerprints, and everything. It was slightly abrasive so, I simply avoided scrubbing over the printed logo.

Oh well. I am looking for another good product again now too.

I'd have to say Groove juice is my favorite. It does'nt require as much elbow grease. I tried Brasso once and that stuff was a pain in the arse! Smells like ass too! I've also used a high speed buffer with a light rubbing compound with pretty good results.

B

sirslurpee said:
Anyone ever just get lazy and put your cymbals in the dishwasher?

HAHAHHHAHAAA

Oh lord I hope not

Also, I USED to clean/polish my cymbals with Groove Juice.

Now however, I tend to wipe them with terry cloths and maybe some warm water. And I really only do that every few months, because I don't notice any difference in sound/performance. Plus, I'm LAZY! :D

If I ever get rich, (or enough money to blow on cheap ass cymbals) I'm going to buy some and then run them through the dishwasher, and record the whole thing on video.

yeeeaahh.

sirslurpee said:
If I ever get rich, (or enough money to blow on cheap ass cymbals) I'm going to buy some and then run them through the dishwasher, and record the whole thing on video.

yeeeaahh.

I'll send you a 10 dollar cymbal, you just cover the shipping.
I WANNA SEE!

I have heard that groove juice takes away the labels, just thought i would say that since that seems to be what a lot of people are voting for. I personally only use water to wipe off cymbals with.

Elton Bear said:
Don't clean cymbals. Ever.

I've got a set of 3 Zildjian Avedis from the '60s or summat and they're dirty as hell - and that's just how I love it!
Dirt adds physical mass to the cymbal and dampens the sound somewhat. They begin to sound darker, (no pun intended,) and cannot ring as long. If you clean them, they will actually sound a little brighter and perhaps even louder. ;)

But, that is up to your taste. I know that some drummers prefer that darker sound and leave them dirty forever.

RawDepth

Yeah, I love the mystery of dark cymbals - I'm playing a lot of Funk stuff at the moment, and they're great for that.

Back