best distortion for recording?

lysis

i know everybody will have their own opinions; but i guess that's what i'm looking for. i'm told that the dan electro fab tone is absolutely awesome when recording distorted guitar. i'm looking for a cheap/effective solution for some simple home recordings. what do you guys recommend to get a clear distorted tone?

A Line 6 POD has a direct recording output, and is quite small. The range of overdrive sounds is extensive.

Ed

I doubt you will get anyone to say that some distortion unit is "the best" for recording. Recording engineers don't seem to even think in those terms. Think of it as what is the best distortion for the guitar tone you want, then figure out a way to capture that tone on tape.

Really the bottom line is what sound do you like and what sound are you trying to achieve? It makes a big difference if you are going for a death metal sound or a slightly dirty country sound.

My preference is to use a killer tube amp and crank the power tubes-- but I like tube distortion and you might want something different.

Go to Guitar Center or some other music store and try out every distortion pedal in the store. If possible, bring your amp and guitar into the store. That's really the only way to find out what you are going to like.

Nothing will beat a well-mic'ed tube amp. It doesn't have to be a Marshall stack... many rock classics were recorded using very small tube amps in the studio.

If you your budget is limited, or for some reason you can't or don't want to make "noise", I would get a Johnson J-Station.

It's similar to a POD, and although it has been discontinued you can still get it on eBay for around $100. You could start a long argument about POD vs. J-Station, Vox Tonelab vs. POD XT, J-Station vs. V-Amp, etc. Bottomline, for the money, you can't beat it.

Alternatively, you can use "virtual amps", that you use as plug-ins in your sequencer, but I personally haven't tried one that I really liked yet.

Crank up a tube amp and slap a 57 in front. I gave up on modellers/ digital amps and went for a Mesa Rectoverb head and cab. At about 4 it starts to cook and sounds terrifying - huge chunky thick fat greasy tone. I used to have a JCM 900 head that I liked but not as much as the Mesa.

Limited budget - go with a POD or J station - but it won't come close to the real thing. Although mic'ing a digital amp is still better than going direct. A huge amount of the tone comes from the actual pumping of the speaker - therefore you can't really get there with a speaker sim or direct.

Tube amps all the way. I have a Fender 212 DeVille with JJ tubes and it sounds great at about 40% volume on the regular drive channel. Great Rock tone with my Les Paul. It all comes down to your personal preference. This happens to be mine

The TUBE purists are always gonna say that mic'ing up a TUBE amp is best....but, ya know what, for 'drect recording' the new line of modellers are getting very close to the real thing, and they are way more versatile and convenient.

I've been playing guitar for 33+ years, and for the last 4 years, or so, I've been using Line 6 (and Rocktron) modellers, for my home studio recording guitar tracks...mainly because of the "volume" issue, and "consistancy"....

Sure, recording DIRECT...one does lack that "speaker cone to MIC" AIR PUSH element....which gives that truly warm/smooth kinda vibe.....however, I have heard many tunes and mixes over the past couple of years, where it's becoming very difficult to tell the difference between a real amp or a modeller in a full MIX.

It's no good, simply basing your decision on a stand alone guitar tone.....it's the final result "within" a full MIX that truly counts.

Most 'real' TUBE amps sound raspy/fizzy/harsh on their own, without studio post EQ, and or a bunch of pedals stuck in front of them.

YES, today's modellers DO need some 'tweaking' in order to obtain GOOD tones, but so do tube amps.....

Here's a couple of very quick samples I did with the Line6 XTPRO rackmount modeller...., and a couple my brother Rod did also with the same unit.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2136&alid=-1

Recently, a few of my friends and I have done blind JAM fest tests using the Line6 XT, Vox Tone Lab & Vetta II modellers......plus a real TUBE amp....and 95% of listeners (fellow guitarists) couldn't pick out which is which in a mix. :)

I agree, that in a perfect recording environment/setup...a tube amp, with the extra's will produce a better 'stand alone' TONE than a current modeller......however, whether or not, you will be able to notice the difference in a properly mixed & mastered TUNE, is another thing.

I seriously doubt it.

KEV

PS..Jeff Beck used the Line6 POD 2.3 on his last CD.

Last edited:
OK, I guess I'm the only tube purist that's going to fight back.

First of all, if you think "real" tube amps sound "raspy/fizzy/harsh" then you haven't played a nice tube amp. Just because something has tubes in it doesn't mean it sounds good.

Also, just because an amp has preamp tubes in it doesn't make it a "real" tube amp-- the sweet tube sound comes mostly from the power tubes. Which leads me to my next point.

I'm curious what kind of "real" tube amp are you and your friends are using for blind Jam fest tests. I've seen another post by you were you said your Pod sounded better than your tube amp. But your tube amp turned out to be a Marshall Valvestate. Not exactly a valid comparison, eh? Valvestates have preamp tubes only, so you basically compared a solid state amp to your Pod and then claimed your Pod sounded better than a tube amp.

Anyway, I'm not ragging on you, Kevs, I'm just trying to stand up for my fellow tube purists. :D

But you are right about one thing... PODs are more convenient.

Cheers!

You are right, a Valvstate is not a decent example at all, but that's what I did compare the XTPRO with/without, on that post...

But, needless to say, in 33+ years of guitar playing...I've played enuff good amps to know what I'm talking about ;)

Personally, I find most TUBE amps kinda raspy/harsh...and need either post EQ or FX pedals, comps., etc...to smooth the tone.

Mind you, that might be coz I also pretty much 'detest' DRY guitar tones, and usually use a delay/chorus/verb FX and TS808 combo for many of my tracks, especially lead work.

KEV

Back