Best computer for Doctor Varney

I reckon he already has. The way the two beads then the one on the first row are all split up could be the abacus equivalent of a memory error.

I reckon he already has. The way the two beads then the one on the first row are all split up could be the abacus equivalent of a memory error.

Ah ha, yeah! But... you've gotta admit... you'd have to be a bit... special (?) to notice that... :D

I'm sitting here now trying to get a third computer (my Toshiba laptop) to accept a simple mic signal in from a USB interface and that just won't work, either. I've tried setting my DAW's audio settings from the interface to ASIO4ALL and all I get is the meters going into the red or nothing. I'm not even phased by it any more. I can't believe the amount of hoops every PC makes me jump through to get a simple job done. So many settings, too many options, far too much nonsense. In and out of Control Panel, try this, try that. It is ridiculous. So I'm just dreaming of owning a Mac now. When I can afford one or a decent hardware recorder, then I'll start thinking about taking recording more seriously. So, back to the pocket dictaphone. Push button, speak, job done.

Last edited:
Pisser that I bought a DAW I can only use on a PC. Pretty useless to me now. Wondering if I could sell my software on...

LOL don't think for 1 minute that switching to mac will be the end of computer problems, I use both, Mac in the day job, PC at the studio, and both types receive an equal amount of swearing. The smug Mac heads here at work try to tell me how good they are etc etc bla bla bla, but every now and them I catch them trying to quietly fix an issue without letting the people like me (Mac, PC or anything users that believe all computers have been put on the earth to frustrate us) hearing about the problem.

All computers are just circuit boards, hard drives and cables, it all boils down to the software you put on them and how you set them up. If you have a windows machine, set up windows as a platform only, don't load games, internet, any other crap, and just load recording software, you will get a solid performance.

alan.

Dr. V -
You might want to take a test and walk into a Mac store and get up close to the demos that they have all sprawled out ... just to see if any of them explode near your presence.

LOL don't think for 1 minute that switching to mac will be the end of computer problems

I don't expect that. I'm under no illusions. But when something isn't working, surely the intelligent thing is to try doing it slightly differently, until it does go right?

I use both, Mac in the day job, PC at the studio, and both types receive an equal amount of swearing. The smug Mac heads here at work try to tell me how good they are etc etc bla bla bla, but every now and them I catch them trying to quietly fix an issue without letting the people like me (Mac, PC or anything users that believe all computers have been put on the earth to frustrate us) hearing about the problem.

What sort of issues? I'm always (loudly) trying to fix some fundamental, rudimentary issue with my PC - like getting basic sound & vision to work. Getting programs I've bought to work properly, without crashing. Getting the computer to wake up, turn off properly and even to stay on while I'm working, without it switching off of it's own accord, whenever it feels like it. Getting the mouse to work. Getting a pen tablet to work consistently. Printing without scores of error messages telling me things that aren't true. Are these the sort of issues your Mac user colleagues are suffering on a day-to-day basis? You expect computers to fail every so often - but in 20 years I've never owned a PC which works 100%. On the other hand, I have friends, colleagues and relations who say their Mac was ready to use the second they brought it home. I read reports of people saying how their Macs ran and ran and were still going strong when they'd outgrown them and needed a more powerful model. You see them advertised second hand, still going strong. I go to work in theatres and I see plenty of sound engineers at work with my own eyes - and it's Mac, Mac, Mac, everywhere I look. Many of them go home to their PCs and play hard core games and they love that - but at work, it's all Mac, Mac, Mac. So I think it's time for a change.

All computers are just circuit boards, hard drives and cables, it all boils down to the software you put on them and how you set them up. If you have a windows machine, set up windows as a platform only, don't load games, internet, any other crap, and just load recording software, you will get a solid performance.

Course they are. And they're all going to develop faults and errors at some point. Shit happens with all electrical stuff. But I've never had solid performance from any PC in 20 years - ever. I never use games (not interested) and I do keep my DAW machine off the internet.

But the difference, as I'm sure you already know - is that if you're on on a low budget, you can build a PC out of a pile of Chinese junk. Which is the only reason PCs can be dirt cheap. On other hand, you send off for components, they arrive broken or with manuals in pigeon English and you can make wrong choices. If you showed me a motherboard, I wouldn't know where to begin choosing the right processor. Macs are only built by Macintosh - as a complete product. So of course I know that if I spent more, I could build a PC which rivaled a Mac in terms of quality and performance. But I can't build PCs can I? I'm just no good at it. Last time I tried building one, I nearly set fire to the curtains, because the PSU literally blew a sheet of flame into the air. I'm a danger to myself and everyone around me, when I am messing with computers.

So I'm going to try becoming a victim of corporate marketing - and just suck it and see. What have I got to lose, except my hair? So I'm going to shave my head, wear a turtle neck sweater and join the ranks of smug, satisfied Mac owners, who love the way their technology all syncs together and just... works.

Or maybe I'll try it and think "What's the big deal?" But I'll never really know for sure until I experience it for myself.

Okay - so I've got the haircut and the sweater so far. Now I've just got to find out a way of affording one... Maybe I'll find someone I can trust, who's selling one in working order?

We'll see...

Dr. V -
You might want to take a test and walk into a Mac store and get up close to the demos that they have all sprawled out ... just to see if any of them explode near your presence.

Well, I'll try it with the tin-foil hat on first. Then slowly remove it and see what happens...

If I got a Mac base unit, could I still use my monitors? Or would I need one specially
made for the Mac?

Last edited:
Modern macs have thunderbolt as their display output; Some have HDMI.

You can use adapters between thunderbolt, hdmi and DVI as far as I know so just make sure whatever monitor you have/buy has one of those inputs.
Most modern screens will have.

I've read that thunderbolt is based on the old mini display port and that there are adapters from it to VGA 15pin.
I've never tried it though.

Back