best compresssor?

PaLiC

alright,

everyone keeps talkin' about the RNC. what is the best compressor for the value?

the alesis 3630 is selling new for under 130 bucks and under 100 on ebay.

is taht no good?

the joe meek VC30Q seems cool cuz it has a preamp too with phantom power with XLR inputs as well as 1/4inch.

any opinions? i wanna spend under 200 bucks.

tony

-------
Check out my music:
http://www.mp3.com/palicmusic

go with the RNC..check out the alesis forum for comments on the 3630, I think it's crap. RNC=GOOD...3630=BAD

Behringer also makes some half-way decent comps also.
I own 3 and have no complaints....yet!

From what I've picked up from here, everyone hates the 3630. Everyone likes the RNC. I'm buying an RNC. You do that to. Or get the Joe Meek if you like spending more money. But I don't think I've seen a Meek compared to the RNC...anyone?

I think used Ashley stuff is the biggest bargain in compressors these days. You can get an Ashley SC-50 to behave like a Distressor on certain things (electric guitar comes to mind), all for 100 bucks or so...

you cant really compare a meek to an RNC..I would choose an RNC over a meek any day of the week. the joe meek compressors have a 'sound' that just doesnt sound good to my ears. the RNC is clean *almost* transparent compression. so even though they're both compressors, it;s still like comparing apples and oranges.

but I'm trying to kill a bunch of birds with one stone... because the compact Joe Meek VC3Q has an equalizer/preamp (with XLR inputs with Phantom power!)/and compression. nice little package, eH/

anyone use one? i really want some real feedback on this one, cuz i'm thinkin' about buying. but man, the RNC MUST awesome....everyone in the board everwhere i turn talks about it! i was looking on ebay for used stuff and noticed that there are tuons of alesis 3630's selling for cheap. so i was like...hmm..what a deal! but then i thought... if everyone is trying to get rid of it... it must really SUCK! and i only see a few joe meek's which are usually the older models (they just want to upgrade)... and absolutly ZERO RNC's for sale. either that means no one has one, or that the people who have it won't sell it because it's good. i'm begginning to be very conviced taht the latter must be true!

thanks guys... i think i just talked myself into getting a RNC... but i need some clean phantom power. i don't want to buy a full mixer. i have a ROLLS phantom power adapter. it works alright with my 4-track, but it adds some hiss. but if you listen to my songs I have up on mp3.com... the hiss isn't noticable (except for what is expected from a 4 track).

i just don't want to regret buying anything and end up one of those guys on ebay saying "awesome deal on this compressor! barely used! like new"..... that's just covering up what you really feel about it...."it's no good!"

haha

tony
http://www.mp3.com/palicmusic

ametth - you're generalizing from personal experience, which is less than transparent thinking.

The Meek VC6Q sounds very good to my ears. With or without the compressor, with or without the EQ. Yeah, it's got a colored sound, but a very nice colored sound, so I think you *can* compare a Meek to a RNC, and you say things like: "The RNC's transparent, the Meek's colored, both of them are compressors, so listen to both of them if you get the chance before you pay for either." They're red delicious and macintosh. They're sunkist and mandarins.

Mind you, I don't have an R-121. Mind you, you didn't reply to my query about *your* R-121. Mind you, this isn't the mic forum. Sigh.

I love my 3630, all my friends have 3630's. we have parties for our super spectacular alesis compressors. oh how we love them.

Where are the RNCs?

Where are you guys buying your RNC units? I can't find a dealer that has them. Thanks!

I have a Meek Comp, I also have RNC's...this really is an apples to oranges comparison. The Meek has a less than subtle "sound" that works great sometimes, sometimes not...the RNC is definitely more transparent, but you "can" make it obvious.
So, it depends on your application...that stated, the RNC, like most who own one (or more) have said, is probably one of the best values in audio today... I just ordered my third, not sure if I'm done yet! (Would like to hear the HHB (TL Audio) Fatman Tube Comp though, it looks interesting and I've had good luck with other TL Audio purchases).

Good luck, compression is not a "bad" thing, tasteful or otherwise!

BW

Back