Best Compressor You Know?

SteveCPerrino

I'm currently looking to purchase a compressor for my studio and I just wanted some advice before I started buying.

Within a reasonable price range (nothing over a few hundred dollars or so), whats the best compressor that you know of on the market?

Alot of folks arround here like the FMR RMP...even though I bought a 1970s dbx 160 from a high end stereo dealer for $50...the chances of that happening to you is small...but there were other dbx compressors made in the 70s with the same circutry...and you might get lucky on ebay.

yup to darrin
I love my DBX 160A's
I also like the RNC and the RNLA
at this price point
Doesn't ART have one that some of you guys like? I myself have no experience with ART but it gets good press here from guys I respect and trust

Hardware under a few hundred $: RNC compressor, RNLA also if you want a limiter

Software: ReaComp (really good but you have to know how to use it), ReaXComp (multiband), ReaFir (multiband on steroids) all VST freeware available at the Reaper site. Blockfish by DigitalFishphones, also freeware.

yup to darrin
I love my DBX 160A's
I also like the RNC and the RNLA
at this price point
Doesn't ART have one that some of you guys like? I myself have no experience with ART but it gets good press here from guys I respect and trust

What he said!

That really covers most of the worthwhile options at that price point. The only other one that comes to mind quickly would be the Symetrix 501 comp which is discontinued but is really great for bass. Allegedly you want the one with the metal toggle power switch as the electronics changed in later models with the plastic push button power switch.

Keep in mind that the DBX 160x and 160xt are just older models of the 160a with some feature/connector differences and are available in the used market.

The ART Pro VLA is one of the best compressor money can buy at that price point. I own the RNC, RNLA Pro VLA, 166 and 160 compressors...the VLA is *amazing* for the price...every bit as good or better than the others. If you don't believe me, go ask the same question at Gearslutz...better yet, buy one on Ebay and try it for yourself.

Frank

In that price range, I'd be looking at plugs.

For hardware, I'd be looking for a used DBX 160, 160x, or 160A

I have an RNC and an RNLA and am not impressed with either - YMMV.

Maybe something from JoeMeek? I have a twinQ with a very cool optocompressor in it.

But for a few hundred dollars, you can get some awesome plugs.

That's a good point. Unless you're using really good conversion I'd definitely stay ITB.

Frank
yep, if you're on a mac, metric halo channel strip is worth a look. Plus, if you're using it for garageband, it's only $79 for a really good set of software plug-ins.

I once had a Levelar and it was trash...I cannot believe that I got on the toob bandwagon when I was a noob.

the levelar has nothing to do with modern ART gear. yes it was trash.

it's the pro vla that is a great compressor (great at any price range, used sometimes in real studios as well if they're needing that kind of tone).

very very nice compressor.

cheers,
Don

so a couple hundred bucks gets you a used Art Pro Vla or an RNC or a used RNLA. $300-$400 gets you a new Pro Vla or a new RNLA I think (which might be the only option if you can't find used in your craigslist or ebay if you're into ebay).

those are the three modern ones that are very good, as good as plugs with the advantages of being hardware (you can track with them and catch things before they get to your converters, you get knobs, dials, real meters). but of course plugs are cheaper and much more convenient, and some plugs that emulate high end comps will give you specific things you can't get from these relatively inexpensive hardware models.

used there are lots more options but also lots of crap so it's hard to list them all. tons of makes that are really good, more makes yet that just suck, and some makes have great and terrible units both (like art with the levelar that sucks and the pro vla that is awesome).

by the way a used behringer composer (like my composer pro mdx 2200) is like $60 and are really good clean comps similar to the rnc (not as good but not far off) and very versatile. there are lots of caveats and things you need to know if you own one, like don't use the single knob limiter at all, if you need to limit set the compression level to limiting (infinity or 20:1 or whatever high level reduction you think you want). also in general don't compress too much, you'll hear artifacts that you won't at lower compression levels. and with composers only run them in a fully balanced line. if they run unbalanced they sound like ass. if you don't know what that means or plan on using your board's inserts (which are unbalanced in all single-cable insert jack interfaces/boards), don't buy one. if you use an outboard mic pre with balanced output, into composer pro with balanced cable, out of composer pro into balanced input on interface or mixer with balanced cable, you'll get very very good sound. composers are vastly superior to most 3630s while costing less on the used market. rev 3630 being an exception, but still a different sound (a little darker than composer's transparency).

I'm not kidding here, I have some nice compressors too. the berry's are my cheap way of getting transparent compression for the time being (until more cash starts coming in again). nothing wrong with them if you use them well and follow those rules.

cheers,
Don

I'm currently looking to purchase a compressor for my studio and I just wanted some advice before I started buying.

Within a reasonable price range (nothing over a few hundred dollars or so), whats the best compressor that you know of on the market?

I have had an Alesis 3630 for years, sounds nice and I got it new for under $200

Go on Pittsburgh, PA's Craigslist. Search for a little bit, no more than a week ago (I honestly forget when it was) and a guy is selling a DBX 160A for $50. Yep. That's why I love it here.

And the Steelers. The fact that we have the best football team in the history of the Universe....pretty killer, also. But check out that 160A.

Oakland! (Pitt student) Though I do all my work except for a little bit of my live stuff out of Washington County.

Back