Best combination of mixer and sound card

B'emtza

I have sucessfully been using the M-Audio Delta 2496 sound card and Behringer 802 mixer to convert analog media to CDs and DVDs. I have a number of recording programs including: Acoustica 4.1, Audacity, Pyro 5, Mixcraft 4 and and older version of Cuebase. Recording into 3 to 4 programs at the same time from 3 to 4 different sources is simple. (There are two audio cassette decks, a reel-to-reel deck, turntable and two CD/DVD players) When it comes to editing I cannnot listen to what I'm editing in one program if I'm still recording in others.
I'm confused by input from the techies from a number of the big manufacturers and retailers. I've been told 16 channels for input/output are needed in some combination of sound card and mixer. Then I've been told, for example, I don't need a sound card if I have mixer with USB input to my computer. Another says I can only get single output from USB.
Does anyone have some really good suggestions for the best combination of sound card and/or mixer I need to do what I would like?

Thanks

B'emtza

Back