best colored pre amp for under 1200$

Why do you want a pre-amp that's colored? It would seem to me that you would want the most pristine ones you could find. You can always muddy it up later!

70's how much of your budget are you allocating for acoustical treatments if you're recording at home? Assuming that's not already done of course.

You could end up getting a great recording of a crappy room...

Chris

P.S. A fine website is www.realtraps.com to read more about this BTW.

Toonsmith said:
Why do you want a pre-amp that's colored? It would seem to me that you would want the most pristine ones you could find. You can always muddy it up later!

My understanding is that color preamps are more suited for rock and hard rock. The clean preamps are for jazz and classical.

The TAB/Telefunkenwerk V-78M is a great 'colored' kind of pre for under $1k. The really cool thing about it is that the 'input sensitivity' switch actually changes the impedance of the input giving you a fairly wide variety of available tones and textures without costing a fortune.

Thanks Fletcher. With all the new preamps and channel strips out nowadays, I kind of forget about things like the Telefunken stuff. Really fat warm sounding pre's that may be the prefect thing for this poster.

DOT named the two pres I was looking at in that price range. I chose the Sebatron ONLY because it gave me two channels for < $1200. I'm very, very happy with the Seb, but if I could have afforded two channels of Great River that would have been my first choice. If I ever do get a GR pre, I won't be unloading the Seb!

The Old School Audio stuff is intriguing.

tdukex said:
The Old School Audio stuff is intriguing.

I had some good luck with a "A" on a vocal track for a quickie demo..Vocalist was a tenor..I think the mic was a.....AT4033 belive it or not

You can't go wrong with any of the Old School Audio stuff (I prefer the L and L3 for vocals in general, although they are all good)....$1200 is a nice budget for a 1 channel preamp, so you'll have lots of choices from many manufacturers. The thing is, is that one preamp won't do it all, so you want to get something that is a workhorse. Nothing too dark or bright, or too colored or clean.

Back