Best budget acoustic electric guitars

A.D.Ryan

Before you blow your paycheck...

You might want to check your local pawnshops. We have a couple pretty good deals on acoustics for $200 or less. And just because the sticker says $250 or even $400, don't walk away. The pawnbroker always has a little room to play with the price. Usually 15 to 30%. Ask him what his best price is. When he knocks the tax off, offer him 20% less, in cash, to walk out the door with it. Haggle: it's part of the job.
On a side note---
I took in a 1967 Gibson SG Bass on Saturday. We gave the guy $100 for it. If he doesn't come back and get it in the next three months, I will have made about $1500 for my boss. That's about $2000 to $2400 for the bass minus the $500 to $700 to have it refurbished.

You might want to check your local pawnshops. We have a couple pretty good deals on acoustics for $200 or less. And just because the sticker says $250 or even $400, don't walk away. The pawnbroker always has a little room to play with the price. Usually 15 to 30%. Ask him what his best price is. When he knocks the tax off, offer him 20% less, in cash, to walk out the door with it. Haggle: it's part of the job.
On a side note---
I took in a 1967 Gibson SG Bass on Saturday. We gave the guy $100 for it. If he doesn't come back and get it in the next three months, I will have made about $1500 for my boss. That's about $2000 to $2400 for the bass minus the $500 to $700 to have it refurbished.

Gosh mate! That`s insane. 100 bucks for that guit? I live in Japan, so it`s kind of difficult for me to haggle, since don`t speak good Japanese...
I guess I can just write down the price and show them the cash:))

I was recently in the market to buy an acoustic electric and did a lot of research before I bought mine. My budget was a little higher, around $500, but I found that the Takamine and Ibanez guitars proved to be the ones that played and sounded the best in that price range. I went to quite a few different stores and played everything they had, and ended up choosing a Takamine G series. But just like a car, what is best for one person isn't always the best for another. My advice would be to browse the local guitar stores and play everything you can get your hands on, including ones that are out of your price range. This way you can get an idea of what's out there, what is most important to you, and what is worth spending your money on.

If you're buying one strictly for recording, I would consider getting a straight acoustic and spending the extra money on a good microphone. In my limited experience, a mic'd acoustic sounds exponentially better than an A/E that's plugged in.

Here is the thing about low-priced guitars (accoustic, electric, or otherwise).

They vary wildly in quality and tone. A store could have 12 of what appears to be the exact same guitar and 6 could suck, 4 could be OK, and 2 could be great. If I were you I'd put brands and models out of my head and just walk into several stores and play what's there.

You could also get a better guitar for cheap if you drop the electronics. Cheap acoustic pickups sound pretty bad, so might as well get a guitar without any. No cost towards electronics means more cost towards actual guitar. Ditto for inlays and wood finishes (although the varnish actually can change the tone).

Hey guys. I`m planning to get rid of my YAMAHA FG-422 and buy an electric acoustic guitar. It would have to be cheaper than 250 bucks. So this is what I found. Is there anything better out there? Cheers
Applause AE128 Super Shallow Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Ruby Red by Applause 199 bucks
AE148 Acoustic Electric Guitar 249 bucks
Jasmine ES31C Acoustic Electric Guitar 169 bucks
https://www.youtube.com/user/1979ADRYAN?feature=mhw5
https://www.youtube.com/user/1979ADRYAN?feature=mhw5

Hey A.D. put an add up on the free adds for equipment. maybe someone will be selling if you ask.
Also you can PM Lt. bob he is most knowledgeable when it comes to guitars.

:cool:

You could also get a better guitar for cheap if you drop the electronics. Cheap acoustic pickups sound pretty bad, so might as well get a guitar without any.
I have to say, Chibi makes a good point here.
I bought an Ozark electro-acoustic (http://www.ozark-acoustic.com/guitars/electro.html) in 1990 for £100. I'd never heard of them and it was the cheapest one in the shop I walked into. Twenty years on, I still have it and I still use it. It's an OK guitar, not brilliant by any means, but it's always howled when I've tweaked {!}. It's sound when directly plugged in has always grated on me and I've always detested it. I find that with the lower priced electro-acoustics. One good result of that is that it's forced me over the years to look for different ways of getting a sound I can live with and acoustically, I've always liked it.

Here is the thing about low-priced guitars (accoustic, electric, or otherwise).

They vary wildly in quality and tone. A store could have 12 of what appears to be the exact same guitar and 6 could suck, 4 could be OK, and 2 could be great. If I were you I'd put brands and models out of my head and just walk into several stores and play what's there.

You could also get a better guitar for cheap if you drop the electronics. Cheap acoustic pickups sound pretty bad, so might as well get a guitar without any. No cost towards electronics means more cost towards actual guitar. Ditto for inlays and wood finishes (although the varnish actually can change the tone).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. When you are into guitars that cheap, they were all made by some combination of human and machine. Quality control is the second casualty, after materials. You have to find the one that no one screwed up! It could be any brand, although I admit I don't like plastic backed guitars. The jury's still out on graphite. But I appreciate your problem. On your budget, I wouldn't look for acoustic-electric. That limits your choices severely, the pickups in most cheap AE's suck anyway. Add the pickup of your choice later, if you need it. I can't take my Taylor camping, either. Everybody needs a backup for the main stage guitar, and at least one beater.

Sit your butt down in a big guitar store, there has to be one in Kyoto, and play a bunch of cheap guitars, until you find one that was made right by accident. It'll still sound like a cheap guitar, because the tonewoods just aren't that good, but you are way ahead if the neck is straight, and intonation is good all over the neck, with reasonable action, and no major buzzes. Look for cheap the guitar that at least you can play.

Anybody can buy a good $10,000 guitar. Just walk into a guitar store and wave money. It takes savvy, and a little luck, to get an $80 acoustic that doesn't totally suck! This is my baby-

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitchell-MD100S-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-100261031-i1166438.gc

I picked mine up very lightly used- a demo, I think. I had a 20% off coupon. They wanted $100, the neck was perfect, bought it for $80. When I need a pickup in it, I use a lace magnetic soundhole pickup. I find a magnetic, rather than transducer or mic based pickup, can be the right choice for a cheap acoustic. I don't really need to go to a mic with cheap wood. And, I find that when I play that guitar, I play different material, especially old blues. They didn't write those songs down in the delta with a $5000 guitar.-Richie

Thank you, guys! I will listen to you and probably go and try all the guitars I see at Ishibashi shop, apparently the second biggest second hand guitar shop in the world. Thank you for the input! I was gonna order it from Amazon:) Now i changed my mind. Cheers

Good for you never purchase an instrument by mail. And take a few days to visit the store to nail down the best one you can find.

:cool:

I got my Wesley five string bass by mail close to five years ago and I'm happy with that too. I got some Stagg cymbals and a set of timbales by mail too and I'm happy with them as well. Thinking about it, I got my Spider amp by mail too and I'm happy with it. Richie tells me I'm too happy !
{Our post lady is a secret agent}.

I went to the shop, tried more than 10 guitars and decided to keep my Yamaha. It sounds very good, and if it sells for 100-150 bucks second hand, It would be 250 bucks new. So my old guitar is my new guitar....

since you already have the Meola, I do not think that you will like an applause. But if I were you I would look into second hand and/or cosmetically damaged stuff (since you are already planning to carry it around). There was this Ovation ultra series (not made in America) maybe you can grab one second hand. Then again Japanese might be an issue...

edit: Just realized that my reply is already late.

in Japan, second hand stuff is so much cheaper than the new stuff. It`s probably because most of them have money and are after the new stuff.
Cheers. For the moment I`ll keep this one. There`s no point selling it for 50 bucks when I`m the happy with its sound. I wanted another electric acoustic. That was the reason why I started this thread.

Back