Best broadcast / boom arm for the RE20...

Mike Rophoné

I recently received delivery of a brand new RODE PSA1 boom arm from Amazon, as it'd gotten a lot of great reviews, and seemed to be everyone's "go-to" choice. However, after setting it up, I was less than impressed, as the springs were audibly creaky, the action just wasn't smooth enough, and the middle joint sounded like something metal was rattling around inside it whenever the arm was panned or tilted. Not exactly the ideal environment for recording clean audio.

So, what I was hoping you guys could help me with, is choosing a professional grade broadcast / boom arm, that can be attached to a desk, and take the weight of my RE20, the 309a Shock Mount, as well as a pop shield (just in case I need a full loadout), and provide me with a smooth, noise free action.

What are your thoughts?

Although it is monstrous in size with the shock mount installed, it's not too heavy. I like the Heil Sound PL-2T (I have three of them). It is similar to the Rode, though.

The Yellowtec Mikarm Studio Mic Boom (Aluminium) YT3201 costs nearly $300 and doesn't come with a way to attach it to the desk. That brings the cost up closer to $400. It is internally wired, but has no plugs installed on the wires. Another expense. And its reach and flexibility are lacking. You have to tighten each joint in the boom arm after positioning it, and for me that means reaching completely over my desk while trying to hold the mic in a desired place.

Back