best boom mic stand in the ~$30 price range

geneticfunk

Can anyone recommend a good boom mic stand in the $30 price range? (Or a lower price range if a good quality stand can be had at a cheaper price)

Bump that price up to $50 and you can get yourself some good Tama stands. Otherwise you are kind of in the on stage territory, which I think most of us can tell you is not good.

If you find anything that cheap that's actually good quality and will last, please do share the knowledge with me. That would make my life a shit load easier.

Ben

The Apex tripod boom stands go for like $20 here in Canada and are very sturdy with good knobs and bearings. If you want a weighted boom you will have to look elsewhere, but these are about the best I've seen for the price.

emergencyexit said:
Bump that price up to $50 and you can get yourself some good Tama stands. Otherwise you are kind of in the on stage territory, which I think most of us can tell you is not good.

If you find anything that cheap that's actually good quality and will last, please do share the knowledge with me. That would make my life a shit load easier.

Ben

Can some more people confirm this? I just want to be sure that this is true and important before I drop $50.

I want to use this stand for in studio recording.

What particular aspects of the $30 price range stands are bad?

I picked up a couple of boom stands from Gandmas Music & Sound for $15 ea. Yeah they are not top of the line obviousley, but hey, its $15 and it works fine.

scrubs said:
Here's the Tama for $40: http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...d=40168045&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=50566

The problem with inexpensive stands is that they tend to be less stable (more prone to tip over) and the fittings wear out.

Indeed. Tamas are great. I'm using one of mine to hold my 10" add-on top and two cymbals at the moment (with a mic clamp and microphone hanging off the tom). I've used my Nady RSM-2 at full extension before, though it got a bit unstable at full extension when I extended it four more inches with a quick-release adapter. :D (If you don't know, that's one freaking heavy mic, weighing in at a whopping 2.75 pounds.)

All the stands I've tried in the $20 range have problems tipping over and have trouble even holding up an average LDC. Heck, the two Nady mic stands I have will barely even hold up a SDC (Nady CM-90 pencil condenser). On the other hand, when I got the Nady mic stand, it arrived broken, so the company shipped me a replacement and said to just toss the old one. I glued it back together, and thus now have two, which I use for my drum overheads (the aforementioned Nady condensers). At $10 apiece, I can't complain. At $20, they'd be overpriced.

Come on guys... The cheap stand are less heavy, hence they fall over much easier.. BUT if you dont set up your mic in a position where its going to take a crap (I.E. boom all the way out) you dont even have to worry about it. For project studios cheap stand are FINE. Sure its good to have one or two NICE heavy duty stands for vocal mics, but you would be JUST as careful with them. A good alternative is to counter weight the less expensive stands.

Heres a deal on some cheap boom stands (10 bucks per stand). I have a few and they work awesome, fittings are still tight and they dont shoe any signs of breaking. I use them for live shows and they get beat around a lot, so they hold up just fine!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Parts/Accessories?sku=450835

-Josh

A third (or fourth :confused: ) for the Tamas. I have 10 of them, and I've beaten the crap out of them doing gigs for a few years now--not a ton of gigs, but even so, they don't complain at all. Add a bit of weight on the base for the real heavy mics on full extension though.

The On Stage Stands MS7701B are good bang for the buck stands, although I am intrigued by these Tama stands.

War

Warhead said:
The On Stage Stands MS7701B are good bang for the buck stands, although I am intrigued by these Tama stands.

War

The clutch on the boom tilter is awesome, really nice piece of gear. Two pieces, one slides on the other, the hand screw squeezes them together. The hand screw is the sliding rod type, if you know what I mean, unlike K&M. Very sweet. Locks firmly and easily. Pretty heavy little things, but if they made black and telescoping I'd replace my K&Ms just because of the clutch design.

Ooh, here's a link to a pic. Clicking on a stand picture will give you an even closer pic.
tama stand

You know, you can take a lighter weight stand and slide a 5lb iron weight down the main shaft, and it will make it alot more stable when you have to boom out a long way.

Back