Best Bass Amp Modeler

nonovice

I'd like to know whos using what, where and why? Are you using it for live sound, recording or to defrost chicken. I want arguments people. That being said let the games begin.

I have a SansAmp PSA-1, and a Boss GT6-B. Both have given me good results. Mostly, I got these units for live applications. When I need lots of power, or the ability to switch between a variety of different sounds on the fly, I'll hook one of the modelers up to a power amp, and drive my speaker cabinets with that.

For recording, pretty much anything is up for grabs. I think that there is a line out of every bass amp that I own, so it's easy to plug one of those in. The amp models in the PSA-1 and GT6-B are certainly good enough for recording, and I wouldn't hesitate to do so, if there is a sound that I can't quite get with one of my regular bass amps.

One comment that I would make about the PSA-1 is that, while the thing is incredibly versatile and can do just about any tone you can think of (it models guitar amps, too), it's certainly not very intuitive when it comes to fine tuning your tone. In the time it takes to dial in a particular sound that you're looking for, you could have hooked up a regular amp and mic'd it. So, it's only a good choice for recording if you're in a situation where you are NOT paying big bucks per hour to lay down the bass tracks. In that sort of situation, you'd probably be better off with a SansAmp BDI stomp box or an RBI. The Boss, on the other hand, lets you locate and fine tune your tone very quickly. It also offers a digital out, which is a nice bonus.

nonovice said:
I'd like to know whos using what, where and why? Are you using it for live sound, recording or to defrost chicken. I want arguments people. That being said let the games begin.

Line 6 Bass POD XT Pro
28 Modern and Classic Amp Models
22 Cab & 4 Mic models
Over 50 Stompbox, Synth and Studio Effects w/ Flexible Routing

Why i bought it: Studio Recording
I bought one of these to start off with, when i first started recording bass.
Simply because i couldn't mic the cab (noise issues). Since then, i've moved and done up my rooms properly.

It takes a good understanding of the unit itself to get a good sound out of it. However, for the most part it's not that difficult.
Editing patches is pretty simple being that you can just scroll through the menus you want to edit and select the parameter you want to edit.

The models are very nice and the range of sounds possible vary greatly providing models and options that will appeal to most bass players. They also have a good collection of stomp box models. A bit pricey, but the sound quality is good. It's a very dependable and sturdy unit and not all that noisy that I've noticed, unless of course you crank the treble.

I haven't tried any other bass modules, but i'm happy with the Bass POD XT Pro.
I'd still rather mic the amp (considering it's a decent amp).

Price Paid: $1450AUD (They go for about $700USD)

i have a regular bass pod (not xt) that i am selling. comes with original box, manual, mic stand mount, and fb4 footswitch. PM me if you are interested.. $225....

I had been using a SansAmp Bass Driver DI (which is more just a preamp rather than a modeller) and for what it did, it did a great job. However, I just bought a new Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo and I have to say there is no replacement for the thunder of a good, powerful amp!

SansAmp bass driver is the only one I would actually use (and I often do).I picked up the trick of running a Bass Driver and a DI from a Tchad Blake article. I would avoid Pod stuff. Never heard great results and the resale value on them is really sad. Buy a bass driver used. If you do not like it in two years its will sell for what you paid for it.

I use the rackmount Sansamp RBI. I have also used a POD and a behringer bass V-Amp and to my ears they don't even compare. Granted you don't have access to all the crazy effects but you get a fat, pure bass tone. The controls are extremely sensitive. Changing any parameter just a half a point can drastically change the sound, so basically you do have a huge amount of control over the sound but it is still just a basic bass sound. That was all that I wanted from this unit so I couldn't be happier. Also it has a great overdrive sound.

I agree. I had use of a Bass POD pro, and it was cool, but I would say 98% of it was usless effects, and the 2% wasn't as good as the bass run direct through a decent amp. Keep in mind that I prefer good bass tone over the effects, but I know that effects are popular on bass now adays.

Ronan said:
I picked up the trick of running a Bass Driver and a DI from a Tchad Blake article.

Yes Tchad Blake loves the Sansamp pedals, he actually not only uses them for bass but also for fatting up snaresounds!!

Point is the Bass Driver is very versatile for many different applications.

Back