Best Audio interface For Analog to Digital Conversions

Quick question,

I wanna know the best/truest/least pricest way of converting analog sources to digital? I've used the cheapo way of sending the stereo 388 XLR outs to the XLR ins on the USB interface but this seems to come in way hot on the CPU and cause digital clipping. I like to record red, how would i push the tape on the machine while maintaining volume/clearity on the CPU?

limiters/interface/maybe even those cd recorders?

It would be cool to use the tape outs on the machine and be able to mix on the DAW as well

any suggestion appreciated

thanks,

ian

There are so many interfaces that can do that without a hitch...and even some very high-end stuff...
...but something as basic as the older Echo Layla24 boxes would be as good a choice, and better than most.

I use three of them...I transfer often quite hot tape tracks from my 2" deck to my DAW....but you seem to only need a 2-channel converter since you mentioned stereo outs.

I think your problem maybe more about level matching than it is about finding a specific converter. If you come out +4 then the converter needs to be set for +4 input. If you are at that point putting the converter into clipping (man that's HOT)...then just turn down the input on the converter to where it is not.

My favorite interface, bar none, is the ECHO Layla 24/96. My favorite CD recorder is the HHB CDR-850. But it sounds to me you're having some basic level issues. You shouldn't be sending your signal so hot into a digital audio interface. No reason to. It may be an matter of grasping recording to tape vs recording to digital.

I'm no fan of USB interfaces, but that doesn't sound like the main problem here.

This seller has everything you need... Complete Echo Layla 24, Adobe Audition 3 and the remote control (Red Rover) that was made for the software. This is a steal of a deal!

Layla Echo 24 96 8 Track Recorder Boundle | eBay

I'm guessing for the Echo Layla, it's a good idea to make sure it has the PCI card with it?

Yes and most I see on eBay lately are not complete. It won't work without the PCI card and proprietary cord that connects the breakout box to the PCI card.. It's part of the system. I've even contacted sellers over the years and told them they don't have a complete system and there's no way they can say it was tested and works. A couple have updated their listings to a parts only unit, but most are assholes.

The only complete Layla 24/96 on eBay at present is this one, and he's got some really nice extras along with it. But this seller is annoying the hell out of me because he/she keeps doing one-day listings, then lists it again right away after it ends with a lower starting price and buy-it-now. It's a killer deal, even with the stupid high shipping cost. If I didn't already have three of them I would snatch this one up! I really only need two, so one of mine will be listed soon... when I get around to it. In the mean time somebody grab this one! You'll be glad you did. The genuine Adobe Audition 3 software alone is worth the price.

Layla Echo 24 96 8 Track Recorder Boundle | eBay

so once I get a proper interface, what are some things to keep in mind for sending analog source to CPU? levels, db ratio, etc?

Not much really.

If your analog source is -10...set the interface to -10....if it's +4, set it to +4.

If you use your analog gear in it's normal operating range, the interface should accept that range without issues...but of course, it is possible to overload the interface and cause clipping, so just keep an eye on your meters.

Back