Best all round mic?

meltedtelly

Hi,

What would be the best mic to buy to use for recording vocals, acoustic guitar, double bass and cello? Not all at the same time, but tracking them individually?

Rob

:rolleyes: Let's see ..... which microphone is the biggest fad this month?

Just do a little searching and discover what they usta use for the single microphone to record complete orchestras and that should be the one to cover your wide choice of instruments that you need to record.

Mind you it may sound a bit like all of those old recordings if you don't watch your microphone placement.

I would for sure be looking at a multi pattern microphone. along the lines of a Shure KSM 44 or a tube microphone.

I'd get a good small diaphragm condenser--my personal choice is an old AKG451EB but there are others. It's not the perfect choice for most of those (though I choose them for acoustic guitar) but does a credible job on all of them. I've used them for everything from voice to brass to everything else when pushed and I find it a good all rounder.

The problem is that the question is nonsensical. There *isn't* a best all-around mic. Different mic designs tend to perform better in certain applications. What's the best all-around tool, a hacksaw, a screwdriver, a hammer, or a flat file? It's like asking- what's the best all-around shoe for ballet, long distance running, ice hockey, and basketball? And it gets worse for vocals, because there's no guarantee the shoe will fit your foot. If there was a best all-around mic, studios would own several of them, and they could get rid of those troublesome and expensive microphone cabinets. All that the best all-around mic can be is a compromise that isn't quite right for anything, but takes well to EQ. My best bet- Shure SM7b. Unfortunately, the sources that you have named ask for somewhat different qualities from a mic or mics. The cool part is that after most folks ask this question, they then add that it needs to cost under $100.-Richie

At the risk of starting an argument, I feel the SM58 is practically useless for anything other than close vocal miking in a live situation...and, as a 40 year old design, there are now far better even for that.

The problem is that the question is nonsensical. There *isn't* a best all-around mic. Different mic designs tend to perform better in certain applications. What's the best all-around tool, a hacksaw, a screwdriver, a hammer, or a flat file? It's like asking- what's the best all-around shoe for ballet, long distance running, ice hockey, and basketball? And it gets worse for vocals, because there's no guarantee the shoe will fit your foot. If there was a best all-around mic, studios would own several of them, and they could get rid of those troublesome and expensive microphone cabinets. All that the best all-around mic can be is a compromise that isn't quite right for anything, but takes well to EQ. My best bet- Shure SM7b. Unfortunately, the sources that you have named ask for somewhat different qualities from a mic or mics. The cool part is that after most folks ask this question, they then add that it needs to cost under $100.-Richie

In practical terms, of course you're absolutely right. I haven't counted the mics in my kit for a while but I have quite a few different ones. To do a proper job you need a choice of the right mic for the right job.

However, my answer above was based more on "if you want to buy one mic to start off with, what would you choose" and I stand by my answer.

Of course, if you throw in the vexed topic of budget, my suggestion isn't suitable. I'd probably answer the SM57 if it also had to be cheap...but that, for me, makes it even less suitable for many tasks.

However, despite all that, you can do a lot of things with one microphone and a bit of skill!

The problem is that the question is nonsensical.
I disagree. I don't think it's a nonsensical question, just one that has as it's underlying premise a notion that no longer applies. There was a time in recording history when there were very few tools to do the job because the 'job' didn't need as many tools. Or something like that ! As things progressed, as more elements needed capturing separately, as greater scope and invention and colours became de rigeur, so the number and scope of the tools increased.
Besides, the question is an important one if for no other reason that it elicits the kind of answers that you gave, which newcomers to recording need to understand.

Hi,

What would be the best mic to buy to use for recording vocals, acoustic guitar, double bass and cello? Not all at the same time, but tracking them individually?

Rob

...based on the applications you mentioned, I can suggest a wonderful multi-pattern tube LDC that's quite affordable (as 'moresound' recommends)...my partner freelance engineers at a couple of the bigger studios here in S. FL, and he raves about the CM-6 on standup bass and cello, as well as piano...I use it almost exclusively for vocal tracking, but it is a very clean, natural/neutral sounding mic with wonderful detail and "air"...read more here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...ded-tube-mic-soldering-skill-impaired-316010/

...you may also want to google "Stellar CM-6", as there's quite a bit on the web about this microphone...the fact is, this mics sells for less than the cost of the mods that are already implemented (upgraded capsule, transformer, custom-designed EF86 circuit featuring a high-quality TungSol re-issue tube)...this mic is a steal!

Last edited:
Nice one!!

This is a baptism of fire!!

Firstly, thanks for all the comments and I'm delighted that the question sparked a debate, and not all comments pointed out the flaws in the question!!

The flaw is in the title of the post; “all-round mic”. The analogies above about tools and shoes (though they are hilarious!) don’t apply to the question. So if I phrased the title correctly, what I am asking is something along the line of "Could I use a soccer boot to play rugby and golf?", "Can I use a violin to record lead guitar lines and bass lines?" etc. And yes, this is still silly.

Anyway, enough of that. The question shows how little I know. All I do know from hanging around studios is that there’s a microphone zoo with lots of varieties, i.e. mics for picking up bass drums which you wouldn't use for vocals; dynamic versus condenser (??) mics etc.

I will disappoint further by stating that budget is not an issue (within reason)! And we’re in euros not dollars!! But, I want one mic and not a whole host...for now. (I was toying with the idea of saying “100 dollars?? I wish! What can you get for 50??”)

So, I’ve a bit of reading to do on: “Shure SM7b”, “Shure KSM 44”, a “CM-6”, an “AKG451EB” or another “multi-pattern tube LDC mic”? Perfect! This gives plenty to start looking, thanks for all comments. Really appreciate them.
I’ll take everything on board and I agree that using an all-rounder will sound great with some but not so great with other instruments, as Richard says. I may lean more towards something that gets great results on the instruments and use the same mic to record roomy sounding vocals. With a really good instrument mic this will still sound cool, right? This is my staring point. One day I will have enough mics to warrant building a microphone cabinet!

Could I use a saw to cut wood, bread and my hair???

Be advised that the designation CM-6 is used by more than one company. (condenser mic or capacitor mic #6). I don't think he meant the Shoeps version, which while a *GREAT* mic, is not exactly what I'd call "affordable", unless you already own a Ferrari.-Richie

I'm not personally a fan of AKG C3000B, but I love its misunderstood little brother C2000B, which is one of the most versatile mics I've ever used.-Richie

At the risk of starting an argument, I feel the SM58 is practically useless for anything other than close vocal miking in a live situation...and, as a 40 year old design, there are now far better even for that.

But that makes it vintage. I am even older than 40 years, and I still work okay. That being said, I'd go with the SM57.

My view is that a decent all-round mic for live is Shure beta SM58A and for recording Rode NT2 if these options are within your budget? There's no way one mic will work well for both live and recording as it's a completely different requirement.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Back