Best acoustic soundhole pickup??

King Elvis

I know that sticking a pickup in the soundhole of an acoustic is not a good representation of the sound. However, I dont feel like having the work done on mine to have a pup installed so I am stuck using one. What do you guys think is the best pickup to pop into a soundhole of the ones that you have tried?? I have a pos epi pickup that I hate.:confused:

The best is, and for the last twenty years or so has been, the Sunrise. End of story. If you want more on pickups, just do a search of the board. I did a very long post on the subject last week. Check it out.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Agreed. As a matter of fact I just bought one of these for my J45, along with some Waverly tuners. Sunrise makes a version that has a long cable for guitars that you don't want to have a permanent installation. You can get them at Elderly, but be prepared to pay. They go for $170-$190 ish.

Light - I'm planning on keeping the Fishman under the saddle of my Gibson. Do I need a stereo jack, or can most endpin jacks be wired for stereo?

Thanks

That looks intriguing. I think Sunrise makes some claims about sensing body and top resonance. What the heck, I've already got a Rare Earth, an EMG ACS, and now a Sunrise. I may as well have one of these, too. I'll just need a new guitar to put it in...

freshmattyp said:

Light - I'm planning on keeping the Fishman under the saddle of my Gibson. Do I need a stereo jack, or can most endpin jacks be wired for stereo?

Thanks

The end pin jack on your Fishman is also the preamp. It is a stereo jack, but I am not sure if you can access the ring conductor. In order to do so, you would need the Fishman Smart Chip, and I am not sure it will work with a Sunrise. I don't do many pickup installs, I am afraid, so I will have to ask our shop manager about that. Many people, just put on a second endpin jack. It is a little ugly, but effective. If you have controls on the side of your guitar, then that is where the preamp is, and you probably already have a stereo jack. You would still need a Smart Chip though, I would think. I am not entirely sure on this one. I will try to remember to ask our shop manager on Friday.

By the way, that is a good price on a Sunrise. We sell them for $225.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

freshmattyp said:
That looks intriguing. I think Sunrise makes some claims about sensing body and top resonance. What the heck, I've already got a Rare Earth, an EMG ACS, and now a Sunrise. I may as well have one of these, too. I'll just need a new guitar to put it in...

I have a backup guitar with an EMG ACS soundhole pickup..

you're one of the few people that I've seen that also has one (I bought mine locally on a whim)..

what is your opinion of that pickup and have you found any preamps or EQ's that work well with it? I do like the adjustable pole pieces for balance..

thanks...

Light - I found my answer. The Sunrise endpin jack that comes with my pickup is stereo capable. I'll have my installer use that and wire the fishman to the ring. I shouldn't need the preamp part since I'm using the outboard Sunrise Stereo preamp box.

Thanks for the reply.

CDT-sHaG said:
I have a backup guitar with an EMG ACS soundhole pickup..

you're one of the few people that I've seen that also has one (I bought mine locally on a whim)..

what is your opinion of that pickup and have you found any preamps or EQ's that work well with it? I do like the adjustable pole pieces for balance..

thanks...

I sent this to you in a PM, but I'll post it here as well. I didn't see your post before.

I really like the sound of it. To my ears it's better than the Fishman Rare Earth. I'll be interested to see how it stacks up against the Sunrise I just bought. I run all of my acoustics through a Boss EQ pedal, I think it's the GE7. I put a shallow smile on the sliders. That seems to work for me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Matt..I PM you and then realized I'd posted it here as well..DOH!

what I've done is take the high "b" and "e" string pole pieces completely out...that really balanced the pickup across the strings...

I've tried it through some tube amps, ART tube MP preamp, lr bagg's para-acoustic DI, and straight into my marshall acoustic amp...but it doesn't sound acoustic at all..sort of like a big hollow body.

my main guitar is a taylor 314ce with the new lace/pick-up the world NT3 system..this system is the best I've ever heard. ever.

here is some info:

http://www.lacemusic.com/store/product.asp?id=143&catid=11

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/

sound samples:
http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/sound.htm
scroll down to Jaquie Gipson.

best price:
http://www.samusic.com/amplification/putw.shtml

Back