Best acoustic guitar brand

Ced

Still a Newbie
Hi everyone!
I'm about to buy a new acoustic guitar, probably a Taylor, and I just want to know what is the best acoustic guitar brand on the market. I heard that the "Arts & Lutheries" are damn good. :cool:

Your opinion on which brand is the best?!

yeah I know that's the best to do..
just want to hear what is the opinion of the crowd..

There is no 'best' but a few personal observations which may or may not be useful:

The best sounding guitar I ever played was a 1960 Gibson hummingbird. Of course plenty of gibsons don't sound that great.

My favourites across a brand range is probably Martin but I've played a few duff Martins as well.

My £500 seagull sounds better than lots of guitars costing many times more, more wood than string if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed you're in Canada, you should try a seagull.

Seagull and Art and Lutherie are BOTH made by the same company. (Godin) The ones of each I've played were very nice. IMO

Larivee

despite being sort of similar sounding, Acoustics are subjective....among other things, different guitars accentuate different frequencies - some have more bottom end, some have a lot of mid-range, etc.

With that said: Play a Larivee...beautiful tone, great action. I like the one I played a couple years ago (dont' remember which model, but it was around $1700) better than the Taylors I've played. That's better to my ears, though. You may (and probably do) have a different idea of what sounds ideal

I think Larivee's are Canadian also, aren't they? Maybe you can get a better deal up there.

Of all the production line guitars and I have several I would have to say Martin with Taylor coming in a close second, I really like Taylors expression system if you want to plug it in though.

The Taylors are so highly engineered you have to baby them to much.
Plus I think Martins smell better if that means anything to you :D

Screw Canada. Real acoustic guitars are made in the good old US of A. :cool:

*please don't count Taylors as real American guitars.

I'm guess if you're looking at a Taylor.....then the budget is way up there...

If'in this will be a main axe, like the one you'll be playing all the time, then most of what has been mentioned here are very nice, and will do you good.

Now....if'in this is a "second" guitar, maybe cause you play electric mostly, or whatever.....don't over look some less expensive boxes just because you have the money. I'm a Martin guy myself, and would go that way again if something happened to mine, but....I've played a bunch of Blueridge BR70s and they are nice. I also got to play a new Eastman dread recently, and I have to say it's the best production dread I've ever played.

Good luck in your search.........

I've played some lower end brands, that are about $300 that sounded better than some Taylor's, to me. Name brand doesn't matter, the only way is to go try out guitars at a shop. Start with some of the higher end ones like Taylors within your price range, then try a few lower end ones and compare them. Each guitar, especially acoustic, is a lot different, sometimes even the same brand/model can sound significantly different.

All acoustics have a flavour and style to them that is individual and subjective. I received a McPherson as a gift (not so ordinary ocassion) not so long ago knowing ahead of time I would have a say in the pucharse. It is an absolutely amazing instrument. However, it's muy expensivo. I'm still paranoid about playing it.

I actually played on an Ibanez Exotic Wood once at a Guitar Center that sounded better than most of the Martins and Taylors in there. I think it was just a fluke though cause I have never played on an Ibanez acoustic that I liked before or after that day...

Back