Berry 2031A Monitor Comparison

BlindCowboy

OK! I got my new Behringer 2031A's in today... Mind you, today. Meaning, I haven't had the chance to fiddle with them, tweak them, position them, etc.

But, I did get the chance to A/B them to the Mackie HR824's that they had on the table. As a price comparison, Behringer's were purchased for $300 a pair. Mackie's were tagged at $650 a piece ($1300pr.)

The guys at GC hooked them up this morning because they were curious what they sounded like(They asked for permission when they called to notify me they were received this morning). From the story, they began a weeding process through the in-stock monitors. Event, Alesis, KRK, Mackie, and M-Audio were the one's that I saw in the room. When I got there, they'd been A/B'ing them with the Mackies for the past 30 mins. on a in-store mix that the employee's had put together. (Elements of the mix were Hip-hop based, with acoustic guitars, I heard both a backing drum track and a live drum kit, Bass, tenor male lyrics, keyboards focusing in the high mids, electric guitar. Pretty much, every damned thing in the place and a good song and mix.)

I noticed a reduction in the high-mids on the Behringer's when compared to the Mackies. EVER SO SLIGHT. Enough to justify the extra $1000 dollars? Hell, no. They look slick. They're housed in a black wood cabinet, and the front plate is a bit darker than the photo's. But, a dark graphite fiberglass look. Slick. They presented a tight focused bass response, and the Highs were crisp. The cone seemed to jog a bit more than the Mackies when I turned up the bass, but held nicely and never muddied. They compared nicely, in my opinion to the Mackie monitors. Which was the consensus I got from the 5 - 6 folks that had been dicking with them all morning.

I can't say on the other brands, because I didn't hear them. From the GC folks, they're nicer than the Events, Alesis, and the M-Audios. The KRK's weren't mentioned, so I don't know if they A/B'ed them.

I do know that 4 of the guys in there are ordering pairs and that they had placed special orders for three pairs for customers who had heard mine throughout the day.

When I know more, i'll tell ya. My buddy's studio has a pair of Event 20/20's that we'll be comparing them against. That's what i'll use if ya'll want a review.

Blind Cowboy...

I'm interested in how you percieve the differences between them and the 20/20s....

The Event's a fine monitor.... (In my opinion...)

Q,

They're not the 2031. They're the new 2031A monitors. Behringer just started shipping them on the 4th of this month.

Albiet, the next revision of the 2031 monitor.

Personally, I've always felt the the 20/20's we have lack in the mids and muddy the bass a bit. But, that's me. Mix's that sound good in the studio, get to the car with a bit more highs than I care for. My buddy's very fond of them and hates Behringer. So, it should be interesting. But, he's looking forward to playing with them, and so am I.

Good post dude...I am sure a lot of people will want this info? Behringer stuff is hit and miss, and this would be nice for a lot of people if they were a hit....I am waiting on the new KRK V8 series II...I have them on order. I would like to hear them as well, I wonder if all GCs have them? I will go down and check them out myself. Thanks....Lorde :)

I know that ther have been a few lemmons in the production run of these monitors but I don't believe that they are simply cheap or affordable, I believe that they are a GOOD VALUE.(when you get a pair that works)

Back