Behringer

dementedchord said:
well johnny not sure why ya got it in for me and dont really care i suppose... perhaps the the fact that i only post in threads that i actually have some knowledge of leads you to beleive i'm a know it all... if you do a search of the threads i have posted on you'll not find many where there are errors... seems i remember a mic thread i had a misunderstanding about... and if i dont have firm info to share i preface comments with things like IIRC or seems to me that sorta thing... but whatever....

and as to the supposed berh bashing... really what kind of value could the opinion of some one who used to work on them possibly be???? he probably wouldn't say know what % of the product out the door got returned or anything like that... surely not.... but you go ahead with your little reach around....

It's the fact that you come on here and post that anyone using behringer gear is just trying to justify it to themselves. That's just rude . As I said earlier, my ada8000 has run fine for 4 years while my True Systems P8 has a channel out. I understand where you're coming from but you come off as an asshole while doing it, like your some kind of king shit in the audio world. Your post just absolutely slammed everyone who's got anything Behringer in their rack and that just isn't needed. You might as well go bash Michael Wagener for using Behri gear on the latest King's X recording while you're at it. And as far as any previous convo's we may have had, I don't dwell on those. That's the past and I certainly don't have it in for you, I just call each post like I see them and yours was just kind of rude. All that being said you do seem like a alright guy most of the time, and I apologize for calling you an ass and a know it all. I'd like to get to know my st. louis home rec'ers better, not make enemies with them.

sorry guy's but ya just dont know what your talking about... after do ing repairs for over 15 yr's and being certified warrantee for most brands encluding crown qsc kurz korg fender boogie yamama soundcraft a+h... getting the idea???? it's crap... and if your ok with crap then cool we got no arguement... but if you in ignorance are suggesting to other users on this board that they should purchase this shit then YOU ARE DOING A DISERVICE to them.... i really think your just rationalizing having been screwed as somehow worth it...

hmmmm.....
Well, I have always suspected that the Behringer bashers are the ones who are trying to rationalize having been screwed by paying higher prices for the other brand names on their equipment. :D

I have compared my Behringer equipment in sound quality and construction to brands that would be considered "elite" (that I also owned.)

Behringer wasn't the best and wasn't the worst. It was among the best BARGAINS and it sounded nearly indistinguishable from the best. If your recordings aren't winning Emmy's, it ISN'T BECAUSE YOU USED A BEHRINGER PREAMP ! :D

The Axis said:
hmmmm.....
Well, I have always suspected that the Behringer bashers are the ones who are trying to rationalize having been screwed by paying higher prices for the other brand names on their equipment. :D

I have compared my Behringer equipment in sound quality and construction to brands that would be considered "elite" (that I also owned.)

Behringer wasn't the best and wasn't the worst. It was among the best BARGAINS and it sounded nearly indistinguishable from the best. If your recordings aren't winning Emmy's, it ISN'T BECAUSE YOU USED A BEHRINGER PREAMP ! :D

Emmy's? Really?

Ironklad Audio said:
who/what is the worst then?

thought so.

On dirty guitars my ada8000 was noticably nicer than my presonus eureka. In fact that very incident led to the sale of the eureka. I've also tried those sm pro audio pre's and they were terrible, very nasty sounding.

thought so :rolleyes:

I

I hate all preamps. They all add noise at some level. I hate all mics. They change the sound and cost money. I hate all mixers too. Too much wiring and rewiring, patching and repatching. The whole process sucks.

To complain about Behringer equipment is like saying only Camels will give you cancer if you smoke them. As if all other cigarettes are cancer free. All equipment sucks. All recording sucks. Its a process that rewards expense and experience over creativity and passion. I guess its just safe to say that some people are more into having alot of expensive stuff rather than having alot of highly creative recordings. I come on these forums and listen to "pro" recordings all the time from people here who have full access to anything high end. And i think their recordings are miserable failures in some regard. People will use the same mics, the same mic placements, the same state of the art everything, and get the same state of the art results. Monkee see monkee do. Im sorry but i dont see what the point of recording as art is if everyones goals are just to have the hi fiest sound, and have everything sound modern as hell.

I have a theory that is unpopular to home recording forums. And its that people who cant create songs well or play well turn to recording. Because in recording you get to have all the fun of music, but in a way you can control (buy). No one strives for better songs because people dont know how to improve at that. Just higher fidelity, something you can buy. Better preamps. Better mics. And the old excuse you will hear time and time again is that "in the pro world you need to achieve pro results to keep your customers happy". Well honestly, for me, i would tell my customers to go ffuuck off if all they ever wanted to do was the same old tired proven and reproven tricks. I would fail as a recording studio. Because i couldnt stand working on such crap.

As crazy as this seems, the entire world of music would benefit from being banished to just two tracks with no effects or editing power and only sm57s for 15 years. Then after everyone has gotten bored because theres nothing to buy and show off, people would go off to find other hobbies like fast cars or home theatres and that would leave only the real musicians left. I know this sucks to say, but there are too many "musicians" these days. Its an identity now, not an ability. Its tvs fault really. But inclosing, since the beginning of time men have lusted after expensive and impressive toys because they hope that people will associate them with their gadgets and they can gain some respect among the other men of the world. And now its even going in the recording world. But i respect those who do alot with a little. In fact if you look back over the history of both recording and music itself its always those who do more with what they have that impress over decades and remain popular. Its never the spoiled rich old man. So use whatever works.

I still strongly disklike my behringer truths due to their buzzing and sometimes not even turning on, however my headfone amp works fine and was ridiculously cheap.

Those audio tech videos were awesome, had never seen them, too bad there isn't more footage or an interview with Uli Behringer.

who/what is the worst then?

thought so.

???
IMO the best I've heard is the Earthworks 1022
The worst was one of the JoeMeek models....can't remember it because I had no reason to.

Just my opinion.

Doesn't have anything to do with Behringer though.

I have a theory that is unpopular to home recording forums. And its that people who cant create songs well or play well turn to recording. Because in recording you get to have all the fun of music, but in a way you can control (buy).
I sort of agree, but wouldn't state it so brutally. :)
The recording technology gives an easily-justified DISTRACTION from the fact that great music and great artists sound great even if the recording technology is crappy. Conversely, great recording technology just makes mediocre artists sound CLEARLY mediocre. :D

just a note, I'm into behringer, read these forums and you'll find gear of theirs that I actually love over competitors at higher prices and I use it professionally daily.

that being said, I just got a DOD sr460 headphone amp for the equivalent of $10 in a trade (so I actually got it free), and I set it up beside my berry 4 channel headphone amp.

the dod blows it away for tone quality and delivers quite a bit of good solid power to all my phones, even my "hard to get high levels from" K240s. so even though I like some of their gear and still like their headphone amps, this dod unit I got (which of course isn't free most of the time but IS cheap these days) is actually, in some ways at least, superior. It has quite inferior routing however, but for it's basic task of driving phones for monitoring, it's better.

Now if only I could use the berry's mixing with the dod's sound quality and amps....

the berry's features ARE better and it does the job in many pro studios, I'm just surprised at how much better the dod is. Like I said though, the DoD focuses only on driving phones, no mixing of sources etc, although it does have a VERY useful input clip light, helps to show where the distortion is in the chain, so it's not without useful gadgets.

Cheers,
Don

I had a Behringer mixer and then replaced with a same-priced Peavey PV series and the peavey is far superior for a low-end product. Much quieter than the Behringer. I also have behringer outboard, e.g. FX and Compressors. I havent had experience with other equip but my recordings most certainly benefit from using them than not. Even if they are shit, they are better than no processors.

definately not a fan of the behr.. everything i've had broke or is shifty.

truth passive speakers = tweater gone about a month after warranty
behr compressor= pretty much just died.. 1 and half years in so i guess that's ok
i have a behr rack tuner and it won't recognize my guitar unless i turn the tone down (wierd)

however i know someone who lives by his behr mixer.. get's damn good sounds.. but he's also alot more skilled of an engineer than I am

Thank god for Behringer!
If it wasn't for them making affordable gear nobody in my band would be able to play except the drummer!

The Bassist owns the PA (berry amp, speakers and mixer) Both guitarists use V-Amps. I use their firewire soundcard to play softsynths on my laptop live. We use their headphone amp to jam at my brothers apartment without getting him thrown out.

No way we could afford all that stuff from any other brand. We would be sitting around talking about making music instead of actually playing.

You can bash it all you want but it serves a purpose.

Good Friend said:
I hate all preamps. They all add noise at some level. I hate all mics. They change the sound and cost money. I hate all mixers too. Too much wiring and rewiring, patching and repatching. The whole process sucks.

To complain about Behringer equipment is like saying only Camels will give you cancer if you smoke them. As if all other cigarettes are cancer free. All equipment sucks. All recording sucks. Its a process that rewards expense and experience over creativity and passion. I guess its just safe to say that some people are more into having alot of expensive stuff rather than having alot of highly creative recordings. I come on these forums and listen to "pro" recordings all the time from people here who have full access to anything high end. And i think their recordings are miserable failures in some regard. People will use the same mics, the same mic placements, the same state of the art everything, and get the same state of the art results. Monkee see monkee do. Im sorry but i dont see what the point of recording as art is if everyones goals are just to have the hi fiest sound, and have everything sound modern as hell.

I have a theory that is unpopular to home recording forums. And its that people who cant create songs well or play well turn to recording. Because in recording you get to have all the fun of music, but in a way you can control (buy). No one strives for better songs because people dont know how to improve at that. Just higher fidelity, something you can buy. Better preamps. Better mics. And the old excuse you will hear time and time again is that "in the pro world you need to achieve pro results to keep your customers happy". Well honestly, for me, i would tell my customers to go ffuuck off if all they ever wanted to do was the same old tired proven and reproven tricks. I would fail as a recording studio. Because i couldnt stand working on such crap.

As crazy as this seems, the entire world of music would benefit from being banished to just two tracks with no effects or editing power and only sm57s for 15 years. Then after everyone has gotten bored because theres nothing to buy and show off, people would go off to find other hobbies like fast cars or home theatres and that would leave only the real musicians left. I know this sucks to say, but there are too many "musicians" these days. Its an identity now, not an ability. Its tvs fault really. But inclosing, since the beginning of time men have lusted after expensive and impressive toys because they hope that people will associate them with their gadgets and they can gain some respect among the other men of the world. And now its even going in the recording world. But i respect those who do alot with a little. In fact if you look back over the history of both recording and music itself its always those who do more with what they have that impress over decades and remain popular. Its never the spoiled rich old man. So use whatever works.

And you're at homerecording.com why???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

The very early Behringer stuff sucked and they still make alot of useless gear I guess just to pad their sales but the ULTRAGAIN ADA8000 is an excellent piece of equipment for the price. Probably the best thing they make

To put this comment into perspective, I own avalon, neve and apogee gear. True I'd rather use a full rack of avalons through apogee a/d convertors instead of a ADA8000 when tracking live drums but it is still a very useable piece of equipment and I'm really pleased with it.

Using a presonus or motu device in its place isnt going be any improvement either. You will only note the tiniest of difference and it would be just that. Slightly different. Not better. I own examples of both and dont use them any more

In the end, if you cant get decent tracks using a ADA8000 then you have bigger challenges then gear.

Beck said:
The quality control (QC) is a big issue. Behringer epitomizes what can go wrong with the outsourcing to Asia model. They were one of the first to do it on such a large scale, and really forced other manufacturers to follow so they could compete. This combined with a relatively unsophisticated market base has given us what we have today – crap.

You can buy the exact same product with either Behringer or Mackie stamped on it (some Alesis too). Much of this is not the infringement issue that you hear about, but just the fact that these companies have contracts to buy cookie-cutter no-name Chinese whatchamathings. The Asian manufacturers paint them different colors and brand them with either the Mackie, Behringer or Alesis label. They are exactly the same on the inside.

The old Behringer stuff made in Germany was excellent IMO, but like many companies they are now just a name used to sell junk.

When you see new products by Behringer, Alesis, Lexicon, Kurzweil, Mackie, etc. you must understand that these companies have changed hands (some more than once) since their glory days.

If you ever wonder why I tend to recommend vintage equipment, now you know. And I’m not a gear snob, but in fact believe one can get excellent results with modest equipment. I’ve been doing just that for almost three decades.

Someone can acquire a company and sell anything they want with the name. The name recognition is often the most important thing they’re acquiring. Who knows, next year Behringer could be bought out and go into the chicken farm business in Arkansas. Unfortunately it would probably take something like that for most people to get a clue that it’s not the same company just because it has the same name. ;)

Actually, zero point to this except the first ones to outsource to china was the former USSR with weapons manufacture back in WWII. WAAAY bigger numbers than Behringer and the same results.

I have a real russion tokerav and the chinese built one. The chinese one looks the same but is a real POS in every way possible.

Nothing new. All manufacturers in any country, left unchecked, will always slide down hill.

MOFO Pro said:
And an exact duplicate down to the silk screening... oh sorry... the brand name is different

it's a rip off?????

well what do you expect. there's only so much to be done with cable tester design :)

brendandwyer said:
it's a rip off?????

well what do you expect. there's only so much to be done with cable tester design :)
if you're going to rob someone's house... at least do it in the cover of darkness... kind of arrogant to back up the van in broad daylight...

And what could Phil Collin's have ever done to you ;)

Back