Behringer XM8500 Loud Background Noise

Darkadam

Hi, I am using a XM8500 with a RMX to 3.5mm cable straight through to my mic port on my motherboard.
However, there is a lot of background noise which gets worse if I increase the audio.

Is there a way to reduce it?

Will getting a mixer remove/reduce the background noise as well as increasing volume? I can afford something like the Behringer 502 Xenyx, if that helps

This is a sample: soundcloud(dot)co m/adamcovers/audio-sample

If your using the pc's internal sound card you will not improve your recordings with a mixer sorry.
That the reason we mostly use an audio interface for home recording.
Check out the sticky sand read up on mixers versus audio interfaces.
The difference is night and day.
Those PC sound cards are intended to play bleeps and boops to warn you, you made an error. They are made from very few componants and are really not for making recordings.
Plus most of these mic inputs supply a 5v phantom power needed for powering those little PC headset or desktop mics.
If you want to make a qaulity recording invest your $ in an audio interface is my advice.

Welcome to the forum Adam
Rich

Nope that won't cut it. It's Not an audio interface per say.
I was talking about one with a built in mic pre or similar. M audio used to make some reasonably priced ones.
There are bound to be loads more new ones out there. Since I last looked.
I would advise you to save for a while and consider your options while you do so.
There are an awful lot of options to bear in mind before you settle on a potential interface.
Did you read the stickys?
And you are welcome.
This is such a friendly forum. I've learnt loads and continue to do so.

Nope that won't cut it. It's Not an audio interface per say.
I was talking about one with a built in mic pre or similar. M audio used to make some reasonably priced ones.
There are bound to be loads more new ones out there. Since I last looked.
I would advise you to save for a while and consider your options while you do so.
There are an awful lot of options to bear in mind before you settle on a potential interface.
Did you read the stickys?
And you are welcome.
This is such a friendly forum. I've learnt loads and continue to do so.

I don't have enough to spend on a pre-amp and audio interface :(
So, could I just use something like a XLR to USB cable? I've read that they produce great audio without hissing

I don't have enough to spend on a pre-amp and audio interface :(
So, could I just use something like a XLR to USB cable? I've read that they produce great audio without hissing

http://www.behringer.com/assets/XM8500_P0120_S_EN.pdf

That^ is telling porkies. The mic does NOT have an "extremely high output to cut through". With a sensitivity of -70dB (you need to learn this stuff!) it is even less sensitive than the 50+yr old design of the Shure 57/58s whereas most modern dynamics beat those by at least 6dB (that's twice as hot).

You are I fear stuck between a rock and an extremely difficult if not hard place. Generally I would suggest you look for a second hand interface. The likes of the M-Audio fast track pro, Tascam US122 or 144 are fine but most of these "old" AIs had pretty low gain pre amps, you might however be ok if you are singing very closely and fairly loud.
One interface (not come across a cheap one so far!) that was said to have good pre amps was the Emu 0404usb but they are not happy with Windows 7 AFAICT so unless you are running XP still, no go.

I suggest you save your pennies for a Steinberg UR22 or a Focusrite 2i4.

Dave.

You should be able to get a cheap secondhand interface for roughly the same amount as behringer 502 mixer would cost you.
Bide your time, bid or buy carefully.
You would only be upgrading if you bought an Xlr to USB in less time than it takes to throw the packaging away.
Of course that depends on your needs. If you just want to roughly capture song ideas then buy a PC desktop mic. But if you want any kind of qaulity strive to get an interface.
Often interfaces include features such as built in mic pres. Pads, I suggest you take your time and do some research and make a list of features that suit your needs then see what fits your needs in your potential price range.
I hope this is of use :)

Search guitar center used for interfaces. I saw a great deal on there that I will PM you about.

Sorry, Charlie. The sad truth is- Real microphones don't plug directly into computers, and an interface is the most cost-effective way to do it. All other solutions suck, don't work at all, or are more expensive.

Nevermind, I purchased a USB to XLR cable, and now there isnt any background noise!
Thanks for the help anyway, I may consider an interface when budget allowed

Back