Behringer Xenyx 802 Queries

ScottPGS

Hi all,

I'm a complete amateur so apologies if I sound like a bit of an idiot. I was recently gifted with a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer by a friend and along with my SM58 decided to give some light recording a try to see if recording at home was for me before I upgraded to some more expensive kit, so I purchased a Behringer UCA202 sound card to connect the 802 to my PC.

The microphone is connected to the mixer via XLR cable, and audio from my computer is fed to the UCA202 to the mixer, and then to my speakers via main out and headphones via the phones port. My PC is running Windows 10.

I'm having two problems with the mixer that i'm wondering if anybody would have solutions to.

The first is that no matter what I have the mixer set to, I can hear myself through the microphone very loudly on both speakers and headphones. Would there be any way to turn this off?

The second is that if I try to connect another audio source to the mixer via 2x RCA to 6.35mm cable, it ends up causing interference on the microphone recording. For example:

SM58 + 802 - No additional cable: http://www.scottjamesmusic.co.uk/soundtest1.m4a
SM58 + 802 - additional cable: http://www.scottjamesmusic.co.uk/soundtest2.m4a

Please ignore background noise, was sat next to a loud fan at the time.

I'm wondering if this may be a cable issue or something with the mixer? It happens no matter which line it's plugged into.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Ok, I have to be quick as I have to go out soon.
First, get into the Windows sound menu and set the RECORDING level down from 100% (betcha) to around 5% or less.

What is the "other audio source"? Sounds like you are creating a hum/ground/earth loop.

Read up on the use of the RCA "CD/Tape" in outs and the two associated switches.

Catch you later if no one else sorts you.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

I gave the Windows thing a try but sadly to no avail. Upon looking further it's the mixer itself that's outputting straight to the speakers and headphones without any involvement of the UCA202. Disconnected all wires and it's still the case.

The other audio source is a USB powered HDMI audio extractor I wanted to use for another project that wasn't home recording. I was hoping to just let it all sit in there and only use when appropriate but this one seems to have other ideas. Novice ideals I guess!

I will do some reading up on your suggestions.

Thank you.

I have a simple Portta HDMI converter and it works fine from this i3 HP laptop into a Freeview HD recorder which itself is ultimately earthed by a desktop PC (tis a very messy system but it works!)

I power the Portta from the laptop are you powering your extractor from the PC feeding the HDMI? If so try one of those mains plug USB power devices, pretty sure they are earth free?

Sorry AGAIN! Back but busy, can post some screen shots but probably not until the morrow.

Dave.

How are you connecting from the Xenyx to the UCA202 - what outputs on the mixer? If you use the 'control room out', then you have a separate volume control knob for that output than the main output (to your speakers). If you are using the '2-track output', that is the same signal as the main output, so you would need to disconnect the speakers.

Thanks Dave, i'll try that suggestion. Will go dig out a USB plug and let you know.

mjbphotos, i'm using the 2-track input and output so that's probably why. If I were to use the control room out, would that take the place of the input or output on the Xenyx to the UCA202? Happy to give it a try.

Sorry for the daft questions.

Dave, tried the plug to no avail. Did some messing around and it seems that the hum is coming from the HDMI extractor box itself - if it's not connected to the Xenyx there's no hum. If it's connected to the Xenyx and it has no power or HDMI cables, still no hum. The moment either a HDMI cable or power lead goes in, the hum is back. Guess that answers that question!

Now to try and find a way around it...

Thanks Dave, i'll try that suggestion. Will go dig out a USB plug and let you know.

mjbphotos, i'm using the 2-track input and output so that's probably why. If I were to use the control room out, would that take the place of the input or output on the Xenyx to the UCA202? Happy to give it a try.

Sorry for the daft questions.

Xenyx Control Room Out > UCA In

Back