Behringer X32 in Studio

David Artis

Hey everyone,

I am trying to help a friend make a decision on getting an X32 for his project studio. Right now he is running PT10 ITB and using a small 8 channel interface. He has gotten a contract with a small label that will require him to start doing a lot of sessions where he is going to need more than 8 channels in at a time.

I am interested in hearing comments form those individuals that have integrated an X32 into their studio and how it has worked out for recording and mixing sessions.

Any useful replies will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about the X32, but if I needed to get more serious about inputs, I would upgrade my interface and get better mic pres.

Mixers mix. I don't see much use for them on the input end of things.

I don't know anything about the X32, but if I needed to get more serious about inputs, I would upgrade my interface and get better mic pres.

Mixers mix. I don't see much use for them on the input end of things.

Appreciate the reply but it does not answer my question for my client/friend.

Other than faders and metering, practically everything a digital mixer can do can be done by a bigger interface and/or the DAW itself. If I were to go the mixer route I would get a quality analog console so at least I could offer true zero latency monitor mixes.

Other than faders and metering, practically everything a digital mixer can do can be done by a bigger interface and/or the DAW itself. If I were to go the mixer route I would get a quality analog console so at least I could offer true zero latency monitor mixes.

I appreciate your opinion but my friend thinks this is what he needs and I am just trying to see if anyone has been using it in a studio environment. I am not looking for other suggestions but strictly for information concerning the X32 in a recording/mixing use in a studio.

Well, what we are politely trying to say is...at first glance, we would recommend against it. If the mixer has the ability to keep all channels separated through the firewire or USB connection to the computer, then it may be productive as a recording interface. However, if it combines all channels on the way in to the recording computer, then it seems to defeat the purpose of the multi-track recording, editing, and mixing process.

From an audio quality standpoint, the mic pres in cheap mixers are generally not that good. Noise and soundfield blurring may rear its ugly head.

But hey, knock yourself out.

Well then, if he's going to use the remote stage box in his studio tell him to be sure to use the right CAT5 cable otherwise static discharge might result in loss of sync. It would be nice to run a network cable through a studio wall than a bunch of copper cabling. You could have a rack with the stage box and a headphone amp. Set it where it's convenient and drop an office grade cable protector over the CAT5 for a clean setup.

Well, what we are politely trying to say is...at first glance, we would recommend against it. If the mixer has the ability to keep all channels separated through the firewire or USB connection to the computer, then it may be productive as a recording interface. However, if it combines all channels on the way in to the recording computer, then it seems to defeat the purpose of the multi-track recording, editing, and mixing process.

From an audio quality standpoint, the mic pres in cheap mixers are generally not that good. Noise and soundfield blurring may rear its ugly head.

But hey, knock yourself out.

The X32 is a serious 32 channel digital mixer, not one of Behringer's cheap little things. But it seems a bit more advantageous for live mixing than in a studio.

From what I've read about the X32 and seen in demo videos/reviews etc is that it can indeed be used as a multi-track interface into your DAW but lacks with the mixing capabilities. The DAW Controller side of it only uses the 8 bus's leaving the other 16 useless at that stage.

*Although I did read on another site that some people were building some of their own software/firmware to bring the other 24 faders/mute/solo/arm/eq and everything else into use for DAW Control. I don't have the link anymore.

So if you/he think it's going to be as simple as plugging it in and everything working as you think it should, you're sadly mistaken. Chances are very little will actually work as you want it too and you'll spend more time trying to figure it out than actually recording.

Personally, I would advise your friend read a hell of a lot before committing to buy one of these as he may find himself bitterly disappointed and may be better off, as advised above, with a bigger Interface with more channels and a much simpler DAW Controller to look the part of the mixer and give him the 'OTB' look/feel.

Maybe Henry (moresound) will be along later to offer more/better advice. He has an X32.

Last edited:
So basically, everyone's telling you not to get it. I'd agree too. Investing in a decent interface with good pres over the pres/conversion in the x32 is probly a better choice.

I guess the replies are a lot of why I don't visit more often. Except for one post it was the usual comments about Behringer with none apparently have used it.

No one actually answered my question which was directed at those that have integrated it into a studio environment.

Luckily from this site and GS I have had over a dozen members privately respond that they indeed are using it in a studio environment and very very happy with it.

Apparently for 2500 bucks it is quite a wonder.

BTW I have looked at other options since is budget is max at 2500.

Back