Behringer Virtualizer Pro DSP1000P

virtual.ray

Anyone care to share opinions on the plus and minus of this low cost processor,preferably based on use in a mix either live or studio?

At the very least - for quality reverb - I'd go with the Lexicon MPX-500, even better - if you have the money the MPX-1.

Cheap reverb generally sounds... well, cheap!

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

I was looking at the MPX500 and noticed that there are only 30 slots for user programs,that seems too little given what the machine is capable of doing...BTW I've been playing around with the Behringer for a couple of days now here at home,and for the amount of 'verb that I usually use,which is just a little,it's fine.

I find the cheap effects (including the Behringer) tend to have a metallic, harsh quality to them (compared to the Lexi's, which sound very natural and real.)

But hey, if it works for ya... keep with it! But then, why'd ya ask??? :D

Bruce

bvaleria said:
At the very least - for quality reverb - I'd go with the Lexicon MPX-500, even better - if you have the money the MPX-1.

Cheap reverb generally sounds... well, cheap!

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Bruce please see my post on the MPX500 if you are familiar with it. I seriously need some help..

Ok Bruce,I already bought "your" RNC and have sung High Praises to it's clean,smooth and effortless operation,but now you're raggin' on my Beh.Virt DSP 1000! :) It's a decent
box that DOES provide more than adequate reverbs,chorus,
flange and delays! Now this processor is NOT in the class of
a MPX500 (huge price discrepancy),but it is extremely quiet,
and each effect algorithm can be adjusted by a ratio of .5+
and higher.(which the Lex MPX100,can't do).It also features
an adjustable EQ( well,it seems more like an adjustable "filter") with MIDI-capabilities and dual-processing engines (unlike some that are dual-mono). And for US$85.00,man you can't beat that!
Eventually,I will move up in sig/proc class,but for the time being the DSP1000,is more than sufficient!
But Bruce,you still 'da MAN! :)
Peace
Mr.Q

Hey MQQ... I got ya ta buy an RNC, now I'm trying to get ya ta buy a Lexi!!! ;)

I know all about the Behringer - if you saw the equipment list on my site, it's in there too. I use it from time to time on snares for a gritty sound - which it seems to work on! The one time I ran a vocal track thru it to check it out, I found it to be edgy and metallic (certainly when compared to the Lexi's!) I must admit, I've never really checked out a lot of the other patches in there (being unimpressed with the 'verb, there wasn't much incentive, but when I get a chance, I want to try the vocoder feature...)

HOWEVER - it isn't as bad as the ART FXR I bought many years ago for $150.00cdn - talk about METALLIC (but hey - easy "robotic" noises!!!) ;)

Bruce

Ah man Bruce,the LEXI??.Man,I'm broke and do want the 500!
The money I'm saving for now is to get the missus a car of her own so I can stop being the family cab driver. What's
worse,you got this gear-buyin' effect on me whereas,when i read your posts,especially when you sing the praises of a certain product,I get weak in the knees,start sweating,heart
palpitations and dizziness! :) I know,Iknow the MPX500 is a
good processor!Leave me alone! Go away........must have MPX500,must have MPX500.....I'm fiendin'!
D@mn Bruce,you're like a drug-dealer! (Gotta' fight the urge.......)

To answer your question,Bruce,when I first posted I had just found out about the machine and it's price.The next day I found out that my local store had one,so I decided to bring it home.They're cool with the possibilty that I may or may not keep it.

Hey VR....

Hope it works for ya... you may feel the need to upgrade in a couple of months though (don't say I didn't warn ya!)

;)

Bruce

Back