Behringer UMC1820

CoolCat

I'll start a review on this Behringer unit. UMC 1820. I pulled the trigger today. Hopefully anyone owning this unit can add some real non-paid for inputs...preferably before my 30 days return is up! Maybe this HR fairly unbiased info will help someone, I know Ive been reading all over and it helps. Some bias on my part is the cost.
No, $4,000 RME's for this review.

So a rack mount version, 8 channels. $279 US ( $302 with everything included, tax, etc.) USB, 24/44.1, for Drums and stuff...real mics...real drums...HR stuff. Tracking some songs and sending out for Mixing/Mastering is the plan.

The main reason a 8 channel? recording live drums, and also wanted a rack unit to fit in the desk, no room on the surface.
The two goals eliminated many and left the Presonus, MOTU, Behringer, Scarlett..a few others....all rack mounts, only.
*I decided on new this time with warranty and full return policy, no hassle with used. I have had two old >10yr units die this year. RIP. Crackling knobs, dead channels, bad connectors etc...so new/warranty/return policy won out.

Price set around $500+/_

The competition for me came down to a new/2nd Gen Scarlett 18i20 at approx $50 more $349+tax.
Behringer of course "cheapest" $297 vs Scarlett 2nd GEN(not the new 3rd Gen).

Also having upgrade ability is an option on both...
So add a AD8200 could be easily tossed on for
8 more channels $219...sweet. (note they have to be 44.1 or 48....again cool with me)
and 192k? who uses that anyway?
This brings up one point...do you want or use 96k and 192k and 88k? no, I dont. 44,1 or 48 is fine for me.
Do I need USB 3 or USB C ? No....for simple direct recording drums and bass and guitar...USB 2.0 is fine, so this
allowed some savings and satisfys basic 44.1 and 48khz @ 24bit recording to Reaper. USB C is great for a power source but both these units have Wall Power.
Power ?
Wall Wart on the UMC and standard on the internal p.s. Focusrite 1820...
I like the Focusrite power in the unit but then swapping out a failed power supply is really easy with a wall wart p.s. for $12 Behringer.
Either is ok, yeah I like the large plug and internal p.s. but ...not a deal breaker.

Visual.....the Display! the UMC has no Display. the 1820Focusrite does. Focusrite wins this easily.

Simple or Versatile? User preference in a big way
The trade off was a large preference of the UMC1820 not having the other software I/O, making it simpler and less versatile and my choice.
I only wanted 8ch of mic/line IN with the gain knob...with least amount of hassle and leave the mouse work for REAPER. So using Windows PC, the UMC1820 needs ASIO driver is all. Main reason I chose this one and pulled the trigger.

The Scarlett has the I/O Software versatility, so some would think "why would someone NOT want more versatility?"....I had the Saffire and others, MOTU
and dont really want more pop up mixer I/O stuff to deal with , the less the better. Beh wins this one.

Monitoring- no big deal
Both units FR18i20 and the Beh1820 supposedly handle up to 250ohm headphones, both offer SPDIF 2channl outs to connect my Grace Design Headphone Amp to work and it handles anything. (I never use 96k, but the GD HAmp has the little display led lights up confirming what the audio really is at..kind of cool)
Also already have a Behringer Multi-Headphone Amp rack unit...ready for the band to show up.

misc:
*the MOTU and PRESONUS were pretty solid at $550 +....making it more confusing, more +/-. Others kept climbing up the price charts.
*Having my old unit slowly dying on me, I didnt want old used this time. I wanted new, warranty and RETURN options.
*so funny, so many used ones obsolete, old generations, unhappy customers, some just upgrading, some units look like they were abused...a graveyard of old tech
going through the internet, the old days of those flaming USB and praising FIREWIRE as the new god..is hilarious as it died off anyway.
Thunderbolt, USB 3 to USB C...I suppose this will never end...Fiber Wire? Carbon Nanotube Communication? who knows...
* using outboard preamps for some duties the preamp sounds and stuff dont matter so much...and all my interface tests over the years I never heard much a huge difference at all in the IC based interface preamps, maybe noise hsssssshhh....but not a big review factor.

NEXT POST: ARRIVAL, HOOKUP, SOFTWARE and PRESS RECORD.. (or RETURN ?)

Attachments

• 1820 Behringer UMC.png
    1820 Behringer UMC.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
This is what I'm on board to get the next time I "upgrade" for pretty much all of the reasons that you've pointed out. Hope it works out nicely for you.

I have one I use with an ADA-8000 as a mobile rig with Reaper. Not to bad an interface. I still use a MOTU as my main Gozinta-Gozouta

I've been using a Presonus Firepod for years. It's progressively dying, and had become annoying by losing synch at random,

I looked around for replacements, and had a lot of difficulty finding an interface that offered the same functionality as the Firepod.

In the end, and partially in desperation, I settled on the UMC1820.

It has now become resident interface.

So far I have been very pleasantly surprised by sound quality and stability.

My thoughts:

Price: superb value for money
Power: wall wart, which handily keeps noise away from the unit
Visual: no display, but that doesn't bother me as the firepod had none either. But there are signal lights on the channels that the firepod didn't have.
Monitoring: two headphones. Also handy mono or stereo button. Also Dim and Mute functions
Ergonomic: UMC1820, like many ohter interfaces, has just two combo inputs on the front, and the rest around the back. Firepod, on the other hand, had all eight combo inputs on the front, which is the best pace for them if you are going to realise the benefit of combo inputs.

I'm disappointed that the UMC1820 doesn't have inserts on 1 and 2 lke the firepod, but I'm learning to live with it.

Overall I am very happy with it.

thanks for inputs.....you have some time already on the unit thats some confidence boost.

Im glad I at least wanted a rack mount, because theres so many interfaces to choose from this "rack only" helped reduce it out of the gate.

the UMC1820 showed up here. unboxed and plugged in the walwart, USB 2.0 (larger plug) cable, I left the protective cover over the faceplate.
Install-
1) First thing is the knobs seem really sturdy and a lot better than my old Line6.
2) Downloaded the very simple Driver, used the newest version from the Behringer site. ( download to my old WIndow8 pc, with the free Window 10 from several years ago purchased tower)
3) Opened REAPER and recorded some tracks.
approx 30 minutes...very simple and smooth install for me. everything worked

I could be done here, 8 tracks in all showing in REAPER....playbacks in the headphone amps, everything good to go done. 30 minutes.
*remember to turn the P/B Monitoring knob to the right! this is like an Tascam 1641 I had. If its to the left there wont be any Playback to hear!

at 512 default buffer I was seeing 13ms and 128 7ms in my Reaper...I didnt hear any issues with latency though. I forget what my old interface was.

Playback- to a SPDIF outboard Headphone amp..and other Questions?

? then I tried the SPDIF out because my GraceDesign Headphone DAC outboard amp, it needs a SPDIF IN RCA connector.
I fumbled around and found I had to tell the Behringer SPDIF 11-12 OUT in the Windows tray to the lower right. For my playback to work through the Grace outboard headphone amp SPDIF select 11-12 PLAYBACK OUT, but then the Behringer Headphone outputs wouldnt work for OUT 1-2?
The 1820 wants Outputs 1-2 etc for Normal Standard Windows users..and the Music Players work.
Im confused on this...as my old interface had both outputs playing at the same time while the 1820Behringer seems to only allow one choice. Not a huge deal.
The SPDIF /ADAT button on the 1820 headphone area seems to be for listening to incoming and not the SPDIF output.

! The outputs are turned on with the DAW- Reaper in my case. Add New Hardware Output in DAW and now have simultaneous MAIN out and SPDIF OUT.

OHMS?
Good news is the BEHRINGER 1820 Headphone Amps handle my Beyer DT880 250ohm without issues and are loud as Ill ever need it and more.
Its also a much quieter Headphone Amp, than the Line 6 UX, and very close to the sound of the GD, . But the Behringer has no problem with 250ohm Headphones which is very nice surprise. My lower ohm Senn HD280 are of course even louder with the 1820.

*Another surprise in a positive note was the Headphone Amps 1-2 and 3-4 BOTH work the same...(I never could get the odd 2nd mix extra 3-4 headphone jack to work on the Line6UX8, never, so they went unused forever)...the Behringer 1820 has a "true DUAL" headphone out puts...no software routing needed.

?? I also notice its 44.1 default, and Im not sure how to select 48 or 96, apparently ? my REAPER PROJECT is doing this I assume?
Anyone know? I use 44.1 anyway, so thats fine, but tech gear head...I like to be able to know I can change it if wanted. Even try the 96khz too.

! Setup in Windows and Reaper to select 44,48, 88,96

Its seems this will work fine.
Will it work for 5yrs? It comes with a 3yr warranty.
Is it better than the other interfaces? I probably wont go there. This one works and the minimal software worked so well with the DAW, its simple setup and minimalistic layout works for me.

I could see the GAS for a ADA8200 though....for $219 a full additional 8 channel preamps...hmm?

ADD PIC: SETUP for 24/44...48..88..96.....in WINDOWS and REAPER

ADD #2: The 1820 Outputs are activated through the DAW. So my SPDIF Outputs were "turned ON" by simply adding SPDIF to my Reaper DAW Output Main Buss-

ADD # 2- awhile longer has gone by. the UMC1820 is a great, straight forward unit but a UX8 came up for $99 and it has the PodFarm/RealTime plugs so that one won over it (poor mans Apollo 8ch). ..so the UMC is being returned (or my brother wants it!) :)

ADD #3: tried a MOTU MK3 Hybrid new one 2019-2021, like new great price. I wanted it for the displays and 192khz but within a hour of hooking it up, playing with the software and setup it was too much for me. Also the tiny knobs made it hard to even turn the headphone knob with the head plugged in. The headphone amp was a healthy volume with 250ohm but it wasnt as loud as the UMC1820 and easily less full sounding than the Line 6 UX8 (Grace Design 901 even better).
I get it, some people prefer the routing and extra software mixing board but I dont care for it, so I boxed it up and returned it. Also I didnt accomplish the Clock to "read" the PCM and Sample rates like my old system did, instead the MOTU 828 Hybrid mk3 allows setting the clock but doesnt "auto read" or at least I couldnt get it to.
It was a 1/2 tall 1 space compared to the Line 6 UX8, the latter having all kinds of space between knobs, large VU meters....subjective preference.

ADD #4: Anteolpe ZENGO...first of all I sold my Grace Design Headphone amp and miss it , then continuing looking for a new interface as the Line 6 is losing channels....the ZEN GO seemed like HIGH END converters and a small Interface and Headphone Amp.
-first thing loading up drivers etc...all went smooth with the old Win8/10 system, then found out the mixer software needs to be cranked up for Headphone power...and it handles the 250ohm in a safe and clear tone. It can go to 192 and 44.1 but so far doesnt detect automatically the HiRes file playing...maybe its me newbie? Then after turning the software heaadphone to max, the big nob to max or near it , the volume was fine. It doesnt allow distortion loud tennitis levels, but the Grace didnt really either. The old Line 6 headphone out was just as good and really fine too. So all 3 and the UMC1820 have good headphone amps.
- the software is well done, imo, not too much routing but also it offers some well laid out stuff like the PodFarm and I counted 52 realtime plugins.
Played some guitar and added nd removed FX and no issue....very simple...and SAVE AS is always a benefit with software.
*I would probably have the Display thing up all the time, it allows easy work.
- i also turned up the brightness on the display but all that is super simple, adjusting gains, no problem.
I havent used it for months so this is Day 1.....the biggest thing for me is going from these Large Rack Mount units to the table top...I use my reding glasses alot these days. hmm?

It was $459 total, with free 15 and AFX. Reading all the posts the unit today is tweaked with FIRMWARE and FX and DRIVERS that have fixed everything.
Its probably like the Line6UX2 & APOLLO TWIN.. with the real-time Guitar and Mic pre and compressors..etc..its 2021, I plugged into a USB 3.0 for Internet and used a Phone Charger USBC 45watt 3A to power it.

Attachments

• 1820 load.png
    1820 load.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1820 SOUNDCARD SETUP.png
    1820 SOUNDCARD SETUP.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1820 WINDOWS OUTPUT.png
    1820 WINDOWS OUTPUT.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back