Behringer Ultramatch 24/96

futurestar

Has anyone tried one of these? (I know ... I know ... it's a Behringer)!!
http://www.behringer.com/SRC2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG
I'm looking for some digital in/out options, and most converters out there are way more $$$ than I'm willing to spend. (I just use my home studio for pre-production for the most part). I need something with optical and spdif ins/outs - this unit seems to have pretty good specs (for the price of course).

Quality digital recording is COMPLETELY dependent on the quality of the digital converters -- it's not an area you should be cheaping-out on......

It would be like buying a Sandowsky guitar (custom, $6K++) and then putting rubber bands on for strings!

Blue Bear Sound said:
It would be like buying a Sandowsky guitar (custom, $6K++) and then putting rubber bands on for strings!

a fine analogy! yeah a/d converters are your bread and butter my man.
you post says "willing to spend"....
id be willing to get the best conversion i could afford if i were you. :cool:

That depends on what his other gear is. If it's Alto and Behringer than he could get buy. If he's running grace and neve than get something way better.

BTW I wouldn't be using this with my main rig, which is Cubase SX 2.0, an Echo Mia, 2.4 GB PC, etc. I have a small portable Korg D16 demo set up, and just want something to bypass the preamps, via the Korg's optical inputs. (I can't imagine dropping the money on an Apogee to use with a D16) ! The Behringer unit has Delta/Sigma converters and obviously isn't going to sound ANYTHING like an Apogee ... but should likely sound a little cleaner than my D16 converters. :-)

How about looking at a used MOTU 2408? That would raise your sound card capabilities as well and most likely get you better converters than the Behringer. A used 2408 should not cost more than $400.

I just picked up an Ultramatch 24/96 on Ebay for next to nothing (brand new in a sealed box with warranty). It sounds better than I thought it would actually. I'm just using it to bypass the mic pres on my Korg D16. It's not an Apogee, but a definite improvement over the Korg converters.

Back