Behringer UCA202 - Can I use the headphone output to monitor computer sound?

dMuse

I bought mine (just received) to enable me to record analog stereo input to a Thinkpad, using Total Recorder Standard Edition recording software. I haven't tried that yet. However, the headphone output from my desktop's sound card has gone bad and I thought to try the headphone output of the UCA202, but am getting no sound. Is the UCA202 incapable of passing through the sound generated by the host computer (such as playing MP3s)?

Somehow the machine I tested on didn't pick up on the UCA202 and I believe that's why I wasn't getting headphones output. I plugged it into a different XP machine, this time one of my laptops and Add Hardware kicked in automatically. In fact I was wondering if something was wrong, because I was prompted to Add New Hardware at least 4 times and each time the process looked the same. Finally, Windows stopped doing that and indeed I had audio out from the headphones jack for sound playing in the computer (e.g. MP3s).

I also successfully tested the UCA202 for the purpose I bought it for, to get stereo line in to one of my laptops. Seems to work OK except for one thing -- there's no capability of changing the recording levels for some reason. I'd like to boost them somewhat. The recorded sound seems OK, but I have to think the levels of the MP3s that will be produced will be not inconsiderably lower than the levels of the MP3s I've recorded in the past. Not sure how to troubleshoot this or if there's a workaround...

Edit: The above was all done without installing any of the UCA202 drivers., I believe there are two drivers available, one for 32 bit and the other for both 32 and 64 bit. I don't know if either would make a difference. Does anyone know, or how to find out?

Back