Behringer UB series mixers

Karel Lootens

Hello,

I was looking at some behringer mixers in our local store the other day.
I know lots of people find the MX board to be noisy on the mic pre-amps, but the UB series has different pre's, promisingly called 'invisible mic pre-amp'...

anyone have any experience with these? I've read here on the forum during a quick search that UB's have very silent electronics for the price. I was also looking at the SoundCraft compact mixer which sells for triple the price (not so hard if you look at the Behringer prices :) )

we're looking at demo recording at home here, into a computer. Especially voice over Band-in-a-Box MIDI sequences rendered with Soundfonts for music. would I better invest in the SC compact? or maybe just get the Behringer, use it for fun later and maybe if we ever want to start serious recording go for a upper range mixer instead of the compact?

btw, this forum has helped me a great deal already. thank you everyone! :p

Karel

The UB series are a deffinate improvement over the MX, and are most deffinately great for the price.

But......

With mass-produced audio gear, you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Be prepared to hate them with a passion as your skills and ears improve ;)

That being said... they are cheap enough to learn on and throw away.

*squeals like a little school girl and jumps into Markd102's arms* EXACTLY! you hit the nail on the head....cheap enough to learn on and throw away. i paid 40 or so bucks for my UB802 i guess about 3 years ago and I've learned enough on it so i wont be one of those people who has a bunch of expensive equipment and has to ask other people how to work it! good answer....great answer!

sweet :D

I guess I've made a decision, I'm going for the UB802. don't need anything bigger, but I will need the phantom power so a 502 won't be any good. With the money I save wrt the Soundcraft, I might be able to get a decent sound card instead :)

thanks
Karel

distortedrumble said:
might i suggest the audiophile 24/96 for $99 bucks www.americanmusical.com
Might I suggest the yamaha MG series instead.

The behri's are great value for what they do, and the MG doesn't do it any better, but if it breaks (and recording gear at this price range will, especially behri), you'll be able to find someone repair it under warranty.

reshp1 said:

The behri's are great value for what they do, and the MG doesn't do it any better, but if it breaks (and recording gear at this price range will, especially behri), you'll be able to find someone repair it under warranty.

I'll second the Yamaha. I've got an MG10/2 and it's very nice.

I have used ub mixers for sometime now, you will hear everyoine talk about noise and quality and such.I have never ever experienced noise or bad quality with their mixers or any other behringer equiptment.

reshp1 said:

oh god here we go again. i have a place near me that repairs event, wharfedale, samson, mackie, soundcraft, behringer, yamaha and tannoy. but honestly, any mixer under $100 i would probably toss in the trash if it needed repair..it'd cost more to repair it than its worth. $300 mixers and up are a different story. just let'em play. if karel wants to get serious about recording, he/she will buy something bigger, better and badder.

Karel Lootens said:
...the UB series has different pre's, promisingly called 'invisible mic pre-amp'...

anyone have any experience with these? ...or maybe just get the Behringer, use it for fun later and maybe if we ever want to start serious recording go for a upper range mixer instead of the compact?

KL,

I have one of the Behringer UB 1202's, and like you have heard from others here, it is what is is: cheap and not anything to use for "serious" recording, however, it does have its uses. I use mine for band rehearsals as a mixer for our PA system, and as of recently, for mixing our in-ear monitoring system. Beyond that, it really blows. Yeah, the preamps are "quiet," but a pile of dog sh1t is pretty quiet too and that doesn't mean that I like it or would like to include it in my signal path. :D

-mr moon

Ok,

there is the usual objection to the Behringers, they probably are shit anyway, but since I can see others as well that are perfectly happy with their behringers and since I'm a beginner, I think it is maybe the wisest to start off with something clearly adequate but maybe not for the keener of ear instead of saving up for a year. that way I can learn to work these things.
its not like a 50 euro investment couldn't make up for the time i'll have to save up longer to get a higher class of mixer :) if the behringer lets me down that is...

cheers,
Karel

distortedrumble said:
oh god here we go again. i have a place near me that repairs event, wharfedale, samson, mackie, soundcraft, behringer, yamaha and tannoy. but honestly, any mixer under $100 i would probably toss in the trash if it needed repair..it'd cost more to repair it than its worth. $300 mixers and up are a different story. just let'em play. if karel wants to get serious about recording, he/she will buy something bigger, better and badder.

I'm talking under warranty. If the behri breaks, ole Uli ain't going to fix it for you, even if you do send it back to germany.

The MG's and the UB's are similarly priced for the respective units in the line, so why not go for the one with the better customer service? If you only need the UB802, then yeah, go with that since the MG's don't get that small, but if there's a chance you'll need the 2 extra channels go with the yahama MG version.
I don't see why people get all upset when I warn people about behringer and suggest alternatives. Nine times out of ten, someone else makes an equal or better product at the same cost. There are exceptions of course, like their headphone amp and control surfaces which are unique at the price point. But newbies tend to start looking to Behri first as THE low cost option, when a little research may pay off in getting something better value. That's why I tend to suggest the alternatives every time someone brings up Behringer. I don't want people to fall into the "if I need a (insert equipment) I'll just get the behringer version," cause I did that and got burned. Maybe you haven't had problems with their stuff but I have, numerous times, and so have MANY other users. IMO they deserve their bad rep.

Here in Australia the Yamahas are almost twice the price of the Behringers.
It has all to do with greedy importers :rolleyes:

Markd102 said:
Here in Australia the Yamahas are almost twice the price of the Behringers.
It has all to do with greedy importers :rolleyes:

Point taken. My little rant above probably doesn't apply outside the US.

reshp1 said:
I'm talking under warranty. If the behri breaks, ole Uli ain't going to fix it for you, even if you do send it back to germany.

The MG's and the UB's are similarly priced for the respective units in the line, so why not go for the one with the better customer service? ......I don't see why people get all upset when I warn people about behringer and suggest alternatives. Nine times out of ten, someone else makes an equal or better product at the same cost..... Maybe you haven't had problems with their stuff but I have, numerous times, and so have MANY other users. IMO they deserve their bad rep.

UB802....$50 bucks-----MG10/2 $100 bucks and warranty and whatever else. comparably priced? not really if all you have is $50 bucks. if he has a hundred then cool get the MG10/2....how much of a song and dance do i want for a $50 piece of equipment if it breaks down? same thing with $100? if thats all i have and ever planned on using then yeah i may fill out the warranty info and twiddle my thumbs for a week or so until i get it back...but when people accept the fact that its disposable and decide to use it and toss it when it breaks......let it go. its $50 bucks!.....i dont see my UB802 as gods gift or a piece of expensive equipment that i must treasure for life....I see it as $50 bucks i made last for 2-3 years. it'd be a blessing in disguise if it did break because i would buy something of more quality....actually I'm in the middle of that right now....but my UB802 still works...me and other people still use it and when it breaks..it goes in the trash.."thanks for the memories" "your usefullness has been duely noted...good bye". i havent personally been burned by behringer but one band i was in had the mx9000...the power supply crapped out.(scratch and dent item anyway). the ub2442fx i use at church has a few channels that died on it...3 years later of bi-weekly setups and tear downs of the pa system could possibly do that to any mixer. I'm not saying that behringer is shit....but there are mitigating factors in why those pieces of equipment died. theres arguements and defenses for both sides. but the one i bought(and rarely move) is still alive and kicking like i bought it an hour ago. when it dies, its gone. no skin off my back. it has served its purpose.

distortedrumble said:
the ub2442fx i use at church has a few channels that died on it...

There is probably an easy fix for this but it requires a bit of dexterity. PM me if you you want some help.

Tony

I run a Behringer UB2442FX-PRO at Church and would never buy another piece of Behringer equipment.

Its been back twice with faults in 18 months, and the effects unit is horribly noisy compared to another mixer I have used a lot, the Mackie CFX-20. Just turn the AUX3/FX return to 9 o'clock on preset 61 and you'll hear what I mean! (if you don't then let me know and its back for a third time...)

The Mackie also just 'feels' better - although this is obviously a subjective comment.

Granted, the Mackie costs about twice as much as the Behringer in NZ, but its been used by a hire company for about 3 years and has held up better than our Behringer which is pretty much only touched once a week. Saying it will last twice as long is probably an exaggeration but in my opinion the price difference is worth it.

For a really cheap entry-level unit the Behringers have their place, but it might also be worth having a look at Mackie's Tapco range.

Cya
Andrew

i have a ub2442fx-pro and i love it... im not seeing the problems that people always claim behringer has.

it's a great value, and it stands up firm next to a mackie or yamaha in the
same range. i smoke cigarettes and let dust collect on my project studio
and the behringer i had before this one didn't ever give me any problems..
I traded up to the bigger one here.

wilkee said:
There is probably an easy fix for this but it requires a bit of dexterity. PM me if you you want some help.

Tony

nah.....thanks anyway. see what would have to happen is that i inform the pastor of me wanting to fix it. he would let me but after he prays over it, puts his hand on my forehead and rebukes the devil so no evil force would stand in the way of me repairing the 2 dead channels. he doesnt know I am the devil and on top of being the devil, i tend to have a high rate of failure when it comes to fixing electronics i've never worked on before :D

g0dmoney said:
i have a ub2442fx-pro and i love it... im not seeing the problems that people always claim behringer has.

it's a great value, and it stands up firm next to a mackie or yamaha in the
same range. i smoke cigarettes and let dust collect on my project studio
and the behringer i had before this one didn't ever give me any problems..
I traded up to the bigger one here.

luck of the draw i guess

Back