Behringer T1953 Preamp - Any Good?

Well...

Well, it really depends. I think I read about a mod to the op amps that supposedly does wonders. Burr Brown op amps I think they're called. How much do you plan to sink into it to improve it? Consider that cost while you look at preamps a step above this.

This was my first preamp and, well, looking back, comparing to what I have now and considering Behringer's hit-or-miss build quality...

I'd say get it if someone is giving it to you. If nothing else you can take it apart and swap out the tubes.

Thanks for responding.

No, it isn't a give away.... and the switches and dials are cheezy.
Looks like I should pass on this one.

Thanks again,
Rcih Smith

If you can find the Behringer Magician...

...it might be something to pick up. 8 channels of tube goodness. A tube upgrade and a swap of the op amps might make a pretty decent preamp. I think I would use it as a one channel preamp and daisy chain Ch. 1 Out to Ch. 2 In, etc. to get some nice tone. Or it could be a complete noisy, muddy mess. Might be worth it.

Hi!

I just wanna be sure; I have behringer T1953 ultragain and an old 8ch mono mix console. Can I Plug the output of T1953 (jack-jack stereo) to input of console that has mono input? And also i'd like to know what I must not do! :)

Thanks!

Try this...

If you have a guitar plugged into Input 1, then connecting Output 1 into your mixer will get the guitar on Input 1. Same scenario for Input 2 to Output 2.

Try Output 1 into Input 2 (daisy chain), then Output 2 into your mixer. This way you get more of the tube sound, however little there is, going into your mixer. Adjust your levels so as not to clip the meters. Just experiment until you find the right settings.

I'll remember this.It might come in handy some day.With this method you get more gain on the signal taken trough two amps, and so the tube effect becomes more efficient, right?
But in my case i'll connect the input of T1953 to a condenser mic (C3), cause my console don't have phantom supply. I'm worried about output of T1953. Don't wanna destroy it by using the wrong cable. I've decided to use jack-jack cable (console haves only jack inputs) and now i don't know what i need to buy-stereo jacks or mono jacks? Or it don't matters? The console haves mono jack inputs.

Back