behringer T1952 tube copressor/ limiter

thomaswomas

i know that most people would stay clear of behringer products but i wanna know if anyone has any positive reviews of this product. i'm basically looking for something cheap which will warm up my recordings until i can upgrade to a top quality item (which won't be for a long time).

if anyone has any experience with this product i'd love to know,

thanks

What do your tracks sound like that makes you want to warm them up? What are you recording with now?

The behringer thing is a solid state compressor that piles on some starved plate tube distortion, and it hardly sounds warm at all. It's a bit like a crummy exciter. I've fell for all that crappy "tube" stuff in the past, and usually it just makes your tracks sound noisy or brittle. In the case of this unit, just brittle.

RNC will provide that extra "something" you seek. Anything less will disappoint. Or maybe one of those Joe Meek things, I have no experience there but someone else may pipe in. (I didn't care for the Meek sound, but LOTS of folks love it, {that's why we don't all drive Chevy's})

Hi there, I'm new.

I've been using one of those Behringer units for a year or so now on home recordings of my own material.
IMHO you'll be disappointed in the Behringer unit if you're looking to add "analogue warmth" or simulated tape saturation.
The gate function seems OK, compression seems OK aswell but it's far from transparent.
Honestly, I bought the thing for gating unwanted room noise (which it seems to do reasonably well) and for light vocal compression (which it seems to do reasonably well also).
I'm a little embarrased to admit but it looks good in the rack too :o

Here in Australia, it cost something under 250 bucks which was a factor aswell.
In the short term, I'll be buying an FMR RNC though.

Cheers
Doc
Australia

Warm up / Tape saturator

If you want that old analog sound and you are on a budget, looks around to find an old reel to reel tape recording. You can have some for less than 300$, i bought mine for 100$. Looks for an old unit from the 60s or 70s. That will warm up your track big time. Better than any emulation or expensive hardware.

If you want to still add more analog sound and warmess, try to find an old amp from the 70s, you should be able to find one very cheap. Or an old analog EQ. It will add warm and color to your track, and you will get the real analog sound for a very reasonnable price.

I personnaly use an old TEAC 2300s, reel to reel tape recorder. And an ADC Sound Shaper one ten-IC. They do magic to color and warm up the sound. I also have a T1952 but only for compression :P

I know, i am a little late, but maybe some one will catch up that post. :)

Have fun and remember, it's not the gear you use that is important, it's how you use it.

Gear:
Virus TI2 Desktop
TEAC 2300s reel to reel tape recorder.
ADC Sound Shaper One Ten-IC EQ
Behringer T1952 Tube Composer
APC-20
BCR2000
Ableton Live 8.2

I've been thinking about a reel to reel for tracking vocals and a few other things. I'd really like to do an all analogue project, and mix in DAW.

Anyway, the RNC will not give you a warm fuzzy feeling. It is clean and compresses. If your tracks need to be compressed get the RNC, if they need some warmth (or to get rid of the sterile cleanliness of the digital world) the RNC will not work for that. I've been using a GAP pre-73 to track a lot of the vocals and other instruments I want to warm up...that will give you more analogue feel than the RNC.

Also, another more detailed option...I've been building my own 1176 compressor. For $400 it is awesome, and I know nothing about electronics, just learning as I go. I've used a friends, and it has the character I've been looking for. If you're interested in some details, and places to get started PM me. Plus building your own stuff is super fun, and MUCH easier than I thought (though still not super easy). 1176 will give you what you're looking for, but it's $2000!

WHOOPS! I just saw this was from 2007! Sorry for the late advice!

I hate it when people say "warm" and other ridiculous marketing buzzwords when talking about audio.

When you say "warm" I think you mean "attenuated HF". Just get the EQ out and notch it back. Or perhaps you're looking for some distortion or "saturation". Use a distortion generator and parallel process the track.

If you use real words that accurately describe what you want, people can help you. Otherwise, you're just inviting somebody to sell you something.

Peace.

I hate it when people say "warm" and other ridiculous marketing buzzwords when talking about audio.

When you say "warm" I think you mean "attenuated HF". Just get the EQ out and notch it back. Or perhaps you're looking for some distortion or "saturation". Use a distortion generator and parallel process the track.

If you use real words that accurately describe what you want, people can help you. Otherwise, you're just inviting somebody to sell you something.

Peace.

Alright, pretty much everyone knows what people mean when they say "warm'. Maybe we should be more specific in describing these terms. "warm" is a well accepted term...it's not like we say random things like "I want my audio to sound purple with a touch of orange it it". Vague terms are useless when asking for advice, or giving it, but "warm" is pretty clear most of the time.

How is "saturation" any clearer? I hate this sort of snobbery.

Oh and this thread is years old, so I don't think it matters too much to the OP.

I have a t1952...I run my vamp pro and my VT15 through it...its fairly decent if you know what you're doing with it, pretty much like any Behri composer..lots of bang for buck and I like how it looks too..Ive got a little behri rack with a virtualizer pro as well, Im a fanboi lol

I took out the "lights" as they make the unit hot..the limiter section is pretty useless but the comp and gate are great on my guitars...Im not sure how much saturation I get out of it...to be honest my ears dont really hear much, maybe slightly thicker sounding at full whack

but I dont record guitars much, its mainly for my own enjoyment..for the price its a great entry level tool into learning about compression etc..and looks the part

I havent tried the "tube" pre amp that goes with it...but review wise Ive read nothing good from users...so Id maybe avoid that piece..shame as it looks great too

I've got one of these units. It's alright as a compressor but as far as I can tell, all the 'warmth' control does is boost the treble (and in a really harsh way). It also has a 'warmth' meter which is slightly hilarious (in a geeky sort of way).

Back