Behringer-PLEEZE DON'T THROW THINGS AT ME!

Editor

I'm an old rocker who still likes to play at home & is poor ... oh yeah, I also drink rum ... so I bought a V-AMP2. Great for my needs BUT I can't get the Design software to interface with the unit (apparently a common problem). This is the 2nd reason I bought the thing for so I'd like to get it working.

I've read all the instructions/posts/FAQ's/been to as many forums as I could find with no success yet. Thot I would try you guys since your the smartest bunch a fellers I come across so far ("Nice shoes! Have you lost weight?!? <--- works on DA WIFE & she's mean as a snake;)

Here's what Behringer says in a reply to a question from another user:

<USER> "Error message: if you connect a device with its MIDI through function active it cannot respond to scanning - rescan all MIDI ports now".

<BEHRINGER> When using the V-Amp Design editor software for Windows, you will need to use both the MIDI send and MIDI return connections - at least on start-up of the software. The software sends a request for a device ID - which must be returned to the PC via the second MIDI cable. So you need to use 2 MIDI cables.

To check the status of "MIDI THRU" / "MIDI OUT" in your V-Amp model, enter "EDIT" mode by pressing both of the arrow keys (bank up, bank down) and selecting "MIDI" (key A). In this configuration, the "TAP" key can be used to toggle between MIDI THRU (LED off) and MIDI OUT (LED on). To use your V-Amp model with the editor software you must select "MIDI THRU" (LED off)."

Is it just me or doesn't the error message say DON'T use MIDI THRU. Behringer says set the unit for MIDI THRU ?!?

Either way, I tried both settings -- no dice.

I'm using:

emachines 2.6 ghz
512 ram
Windows XP Home
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

I have read that XP doesn't like the software. I have also read that XP is OK with the software.

AFAIK MIDI in/out is set up on my machine.

(I'm not a MIDI expert so there could be an issue here. I have installed/enabled all the Creative devices & software related to MIDI)

I have connected the MIDI IN to MIDI OUT on the V-AMP
I have connected the MIDI OUT to MIDI IN on the V-AMP
15 pin connector ---> gameport on PC

The gameport card is connected to the Audigy so I think that is OK ... should I try a MIDI to USB connection? Is there anything else I need to do to make that work?

If you can help me get this thing working, drop in & I'll buy you a rum or 3 ... we can jam. I swear, I don't know if it's the rum or the Behringer stuff, tghe more I have, the better I sound ;)

I'm here to throw stuff at you. Not so much for using Behringer, but for using E-Machines. Bleh!

Have you tried running XP in compatibility mode? I can't see it not liking 32 bit apps, but it might be worth a shot.

Try an M-Audio 'Uno' USB-MIDI interface. It works great with the V-AMP Pro and V-AMP 2.

amra said:
Try an M-Audio 'Uno' USB-MIDI interface. It works great with the V-AMP Pro and V-AMP 2.
Not sure what that is but I'd try it if you think it would solve my non-recognition problem. Think it would?

Trent Reznor said:
I'm here to throw stuff at you. Not so much for using Behringer, but for using E-Machines. Bleh!
Hey! Don't make fun 'O my E! Sure, Emachines are cheap but they're also ... they're also ...nope, they're just cheap;)
Trent Reznor said:
Have you tried running XP in compatibility mode? I can't see it not liking 32 bit apps, but it might be worth a shot.
I don't know how to do that but I'm not convinced it's an XP thing anyway. As I said, I found just as many posts saying there wasn't a problem with XP as posts saying there was.

It looks to me that both responses from Behringer were consistent. Just the language is a bit confusing. You want MIDI THRU disabled. In most cases MIDI THRU passes along only the MIDI data that it recieves at the input, so the device cannot reply to the ID request from the software.

Does the Behringer have a MIDI communication LED on it's panel. This would tell you if the software request was making it to the device.

Have you ever had a MIDI device hooked up and working on this particular gameport.

You may want to check the windows device manager to see whether the game port driver is enabled and functioning.

There's also free MIDI com monitoring software available to log MIDI traffic and help you in troubleshooting, just google.

MOFO Pro said:
It looks to me that both responses from Behringer were consistent. Just the language is a bit confusing. You want MIDI THRU disabled.
Yes, that's what I figured. The error message implies that but Behringer's reply mixes the right answer with the wrong language.
Does the Behringer have a MIDI communication LED on it's panel. This would tell you if the software request was making it to the device.
No, the MIDI function is primarily there to make changes to patches AFAIK.
Have you ever had a MIDI device hooked up and working on this particular gameport.
No. I'm very new to MIDI & a guitar player so I haven't had much use for it up to now. Device Manager says the gameport is functioning & the driver seems in order. The Soundblaster section also says MIDI I/O is OK but as I said, I'm new to MIDI so I could have trouble here without knowing it.

I found something called MIDIOX ... is that the monitoring program you suggested?

One quick note here. Did you connect it right. Like midi out to midi in. In other words you didn’t connect it backwards did you?

Yes I believe midi ox will log MIDI com traffic... been a while since I've used it...

And altiris has a great suggestion... swap one end of the MIDI in & out cables and try it again... that's got to be the most common problem with midi connections.

You also may want to check to make sure that the software and V-amp are both trying to comunicate on the same MIDI channel. (1-16) they have to be identical or they won't see each other. Most software will let you broadcast and listen on all channels, but I'm unfamiliar with the behringer patch editing program.

I took a quick skim through the manual and notice that you can send a dump from the V-amp into a sequencer program... this would validate a good return path from the V-amp to the computer.

altiris said:
One quick note here. Did you connect it right. Like midi out to midi in. In other words you didn’t connect it backwards did you?
Yup. Tried it both ways ... twice;) No dice.

MOFO Pro said:
You also may want to check to make sure that the software and V-amp are both trying to comunicate on the same MIDI channel. (1-16)
Yes, the V-AMP displays Ch. 10 by default so I set the program to 10 as well but still no recognition. Tried Ch. 1, 2, etc. but no results.

I took a quick skim through the manual and notice that you can send a dump from the V-amp into a sequencer program... this would validate a good return path from the V-amp to the computer.
I read that too but don't understand it. All I have that might qualify as sequencing software are Cubase & Fruity Loops. Don't think they will work:)

You can set MIDI Ox to listen, send a dump from the V-amp, and look to see if it's recieved, and on the right channel. MIdi Ox will also intercept requests the software sends the device...

Hey if you need a MIDI Interface other then what someone suggested (The M-audio Uno). I got the M-Audio USB Midisport virtually unused I'd sell for like $40. Yeah it does work. I only don't need it cause I picked up the Onyx 400f by Mackie which has my midi needs satisfied for now.

MusiciansFriend.com sells this for $70 = shipping = atleast $75

Through me... $45 with shipping probably.

M-Audio Midi Sport @ MusiciansFriend.com

If yur interested just hit me up via PM...

ThaArtist said:
Hey if you need a MIDI Interface other then what someone suggested...
Thanks anyway Art but I'm still not convinced that the problem is with the interface.

MOFO Pro said:
You can set MIDI Ox to listen, send a dump from the V-amp, and look to see if it's recieved, and on the right channel. MIdi Ox will also intercept requests the software sends the device...
This all pretty Greek to me (or is MIDI Latin?). I installed MIDI Ox & managed to get a display by playing notes on my (computer) keyboard. Is this a step in the right direction?

I believe I confirmed that my Soundblaster Audigy is handling all the I/O (I've tried to attach a screen shot of the MIDI Ox display)

Not quite sure what you mean when you say 'right channel'. I launched the V-AMP software but there was no display in MIDI Ox when it was scanning for devices.

I did find a ~few~ references to MIDI on the Microsoft HELP site;very few; & something else strange -- there are no Multi-Media or MIDI icons in my Control Panel. Is this a ~feature~ of XP Home?

Attachments

• MIDIOX1.JPG
    MIDIOX1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 262
I recieved the same error when I first hooked up my V-Amp Pro to the computer. It works fine now and it is still exactly the same config. When you click the V-amp icon to open the program what happens and what windows pop up?

Editor said:
Not quite sure what you mean when you say 'right channel'. I launched the V-AMP software but there was no display in MIDI Ox when it was scanning for devices.
I should have stated "correct" channel (kind of like when someone asks you if they should take a left and you respond "right").

Midi ox shows up as a mapped device so it looks as though it's installed properly. You'll want to make sure that Midi ox is configured to capture all messages; system, control change, and midi notes. The midi note messages that ox is capturing from the keyboard are different then the protocal used to communicate with the V-amp.

Also make sure it's capturing all channels. It's odd that ox does not capture the request the software is sending to the device... especially since it's capturing the midi notes from the windows keyboard.

I agree it's probably not the interface... we're missing something simple...

ocnor said:
I recieved the same error when I first hooked up my V-Amp Pro to the computer. It works fine now and it is still exactly the same config. When you click the V-amp icon to open the program what happens and what windows pop up?
I get the patches grid with the config window in front. All the patches read 'User Preset' (I'll attach a pic).

Attachments

• VAMP1.JPG
    VAMP1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 241
I noticed that you have no device information specified in the background window. I dowloaded the software, just to see what you are loking at.. you need to specify a device, device name, midi channel, and input and output port. I don't see any of this in the screen behind the error box

As I understand it, once the device is plugged in & configured & the program launched, it is supposed to automatically scan & find the V-AMP2. If I hit 'ABORT' on the scan, I get the 'attached' display.

Attachments

• VAMP2.JPG
    VAMP2.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 234
Back