Behringer Mixers Quality issue, no problems here.

Jason James

Hey there, I have several pieces of Behringer gear and really like it quiet frankly. I have a Larger rack mixer, crossover and feedback destroyer. All of which I've had over a year, use EVERY day and take on the road. Never even a glitch. I was wondering why so many here don't like behringer. I know the boards don't feel as tough and sturdy as a Mackie or A&H etc and they arn't. But a good road case will fix this. Mine looks brand new and has had a hard life. The Mic pre's are another issue and truthfully I can't hear a difference between my Behringer and my friends Mackie 1604 VLZ. Both sound nice and have very little noise. Anyway just wondering what thoughts are out there. I'm considering getting behringers largest rack mixer and a ultracurve (rta, eq, etc) and was wanting to here other opinions. (Please no wise guys only WISE GUYS with first hand knowledge) Thanks have a great day.

Jason

ps think it really makes a difference buy from GC or MARS, where eles should one buy?

i like my Behringer 2004A mixer and it's pres. Not a sigle problem over that past several months, well, it sure gets HOT, but, they stated this issue in their manual, so, no biggie.

anybody who is happy with it, more power to ya.....

if someone can afford a Mackie over a Behringer id recommend it because it does sound better, whether YOU can hear it or not.....if someone can afford a Soundcraft or Allen&Heath over the Mackie id recommend that because THEY sound better than the Mackie, better eq's, yada,yada......

but sometimes it comes down to necessity...id rather have a Camry, but i only can afford a Corolla...but im not gonna go around telling everyone my Corolla rides just as good as their Camry.......sure, both will get me from point A to point B, just one will give me a bumpier ride........

Yes... well put Gidge.

It does seem that with "B" mixers you can get lucky.
Jason... What are you listening on when you compare the "B" to the Mackie? I'll guarantee that if you listen to both through a quality monitoring system, the difference will be obvious.

As for the Ultracurve... I've used one live and found it very slow and cumbersome. Probably be of more use in a studio, but I don't think it's worth the money.

Mark

Gidge said:
anybody who is happy with it, more power to ya.....

if someone can afford a Mackie over a Behringer id recommend it because it does sound better, whether YOU can hear it or not.....

heard of the emporers new clothes gidge?

i'm getting a little bored of this whole argument.... no matter what piece of equiptment you buy you can always get something better, the point is where do you draw the line? mixit-g, from memory, you are a proud 20 bit adat owner, why not go for 24 bit hard disk? gidge, from memory you record onto p.c., why not mac? aren't they supposedly better options?

guys i'm not trying to have a dig at you here, i'm just trying to make a simple point.

day in day out behringer boards are critisized on this bb but they do offer a great value for money alternative, we never hear people saying "don't waste your time with n-track, get pro-tools" or "forget the c-1, get yourself into a rode valve mic"

this whole bandwagon has had its six months of glory, we know the story, its time to get over it....

Doc

Not once in Gidge's post did he criticise Behringer or say "don't buy Behringer".
He simply said if you can afford it, buy better. But don't say that it's as good as something else when it isn't.

I'm sorry for attacking your post. I'm not trying to be nasty or flame you. It's just that I see too many people jumped upon on the BBS because their posts are taken out of context. Everyone, me included, needs read a post a couple of times and take them on face value before we start reading between the lines.

I feel better now. :D

Peace

Mark

excuse me dr. ,

"heard of the emporers new clothes gidge?"......yes i have...and the comment that Mackie pres are better than Behringer pres even if HIS ears cant hear it just means that just because one persons ears cant hear the difference, doesnt mean that there isnt any.......

im the biggest cheapskate here....the whole point of my post is to get the best you can afford.....i didnt make any bad comments about Behringer, i just gave my opinion (which he asked for) that I think Mackies are better than Behringers.....

ill be the first to recommend cheaper gear when you can get similar results....i dont know of anyone here that can deny that.....so i dont know who pissed in your Wheaties today because it wasnt me.........im trying to have a good muthafu&*in day so back off.......

"The Mic pre's are another issue and truthfully I can't hear a difference between my Behringer and my friends Mackie 1604 VLZ. Both sound nice and have very little noise. Anyway just wondering what thoughts are out there. "
sounds like he was asking for a comparison to me, how about you dr.????????

yes i record on a PC....i record on a God awful HP Pavillion 500 mhz POS ....my soundcard, all mics, preamps, compressor, my guitar, bass, keyboard, everything i use would be considered budget....half of it alot of the people here wouldnt touch....im not on some holier than thou trip thinking you gotta have a $1000 mixer to play....i just answered his friggin question.....

have a great muthafuc*&in day......

i'm sorry if i offended guys, i wasn't trying to critisize anyone in particular, i guess i was a little out of line...... bassically my opinion is that in my limited experience the behringer/mackie thing is like spliting hairs, and the quality gained may not cover the price increase in my opinion..... again guys, sorry if i offended, i didn't intend to offend anyone, i just wanted to air some issues, and i probably chose the wrong place to do it, and went about it the wrong way.......eh, perhaps i should abstain from reading threads with the word behringer in them.......

humbly seeking forgiveness

dr. colossus

its only an XT doc thats a crappy 16 bit (18 bit A/D apparently though).

Ouch theres some steam on this one !!!

no steam champ just a little misunderstanding and poor judgement i my half, never with the intent to piss anyone off

I hate when you guys fight!! Just Kidding, Thanks for the input. Again no doubt that the Mackies are a better built board, as far as sound quality I have a hard time hearing the diff (I mostly do live sound, when recording I use a Meek or something for a pre). Thing is, I need 16 direct outs in a RACK mixer. I don't think Mackie offers this. The largest Behringer Mixer, the 3242X or something does and of course it's only $800. Anyone know of a better board somewhere close to this price w/ 16 direct outs, inserts, good eq, mic pres, etc?? Again thanks for the help, I'll take another a/b between the Mackies and Behringers. I know here in Austin (the supposed live music capitol of the world) some clubs run Allen & Heath and the rest it's a toss b/t Mackies and Behringers with Mackies a little more popular. I know some guys that won't touch a Behringer and some that won't touch a Mackie. Have a great day and remember the words of a famous singer.........It's ONLY ROCK-n-ROLL...............but I like it.....

Jason

Hi Jason,
I used my Behringer live twice, and I must say that it performed better in that situation than it did for me in the studio. I could still hear the harshness of the pre's, but it did an OK job. I had the MX3282A and it didn't have any direct outs, but that's not to say the newer ones don't.

My main problem with it live was that it was very fragile. Both times I took it out of the studio, it came back with problems. Chanel 13 failed both times, as did Group 1. Both time it was fixed under warranty, and after the second time, I got rid of it before it could give me any more grief.

I know of two other live rigs using Behringer mixers and they both have at least one chanel that goes down regularly.

Reports of recent units seem to say that this problem has been addressed and is better than it was.

Basically I spose I'm saying that I'm more than happy to use a Behringer live, as long as I don't have to foot the repair bills. :D

Mark

Hey,
I was also looking for some mixers in that price range with 16 direct outs more for studio then for live, but who knows if that'll change.
The Behringer MX3242X does have 16 direct outs and inserts on every channel. I've been looking at it a lot but the only thing that is turning me off about it is the fact that the direct outs and sub outs are unbalanced.
The Alesis Studio 32 is also another mixer that has 16 directouts, but I don't really know much about it to tell you. The outputs are balanced and that's a plus. I asked about it and got this response:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=44984

The Soundcraft Spirit FX16 is also another interesting board with 16 direct outs, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any groups though, you can check it out at www.soundcraft.com

yaowza

Back