Behringer mini headpone amp review

lukeslim

Hi folks i needed a headphone amp so a few of us could sit around laying some tracks as you do.
First brought an ART unit that was just a complete disapiontment.
So got the little Behringer Mini Head Amp very cheap an does the job really well lots of options big bang for your dollar can only recomend this if your a little hobby guy like me.
Every one can hear themselfs whilst recording and that suits me.I only have cheap phones and can crank it up with no dissortion.
Cheers Luke.

Little more info? I'm looking for a cheap headphone amp. How did you use it? What kind of routing does it have? How many outputs? Why were you disappointed with the ART one and not the Behringer one? What were the differences?

Chris. said:
Little more info? I'm looking for a cheap headphone amp. How did you use it? What kind of routing does it have? How many outputs? Why were you disappointed with the ART one and not the Behringer one? What were the differences?

Hi Chris,
firstly the little ART unit was one stereo in and 4 out.No matter how i tryed
to set it up for the purpose of monitoring whilst recording the was not enough
volume and as soon as you tryed to get some more gain/volume it would distort.It was just complete waste of my $120 (aussie dollars).

The Behringer cost $80. It has 2 sets on inputs so 2x left & right RCA's. There is a gain and pan pot for these to line ins.
Also L/R link outs so you can link it up to other one.There is four headphone channels all with gain pot and a button to select the line in you want.There is also an exta headphone jack for each channel so you could use 8 sets of phones.Don't know if performace is reduced by this as my test have only been with 3 sets of phones.

My set up is M audio LT1010 I run the sound card into a power amp and
monitor with some passive Alesis monitors.
I connected the Head amp to one of the line outs on the power amp so i can
switch from speakers to phones quickley.I also ran a line from the power amp phone out into the second line in on the behringer just a balanced cable for a mono mix and played around and compared sounds different levels, phones etc
and every thing worked fine no problems at all.
The Behringer cost less has way more features can control levels via LED meters.And the most important thing it does the job for my needs I am just playing around at home not a pro engineer etc.
The Art unit did not.
Hope this helps cheers Luke.

I've got one AMP800 myself as well, powering my AKG K240S and Ultrasone DJ1. It DOES NOT sound any better than the headphone output of my sound interface (MOTU Traveler) but it does the job when I need to send the same signal to a few people. I've opened it up and found that the opamps they used are not the 4580 as mentioned in the manual but generic (i couldn't recognize the logo, looks like TI but it's not TI) branded 4558, even the microamp (from behringer too) is using 4580. It's useable, it has heaps of functions for the price. But just don't expect it will sound first class.

PS: I'm a Behringer user as well, with 6 pieces of rack gear from them and a few mixers from them (1 SL and 3 UB). Just wanna let u know that i'm not here just to bash their product.

Back