Behringer MIC200 valve replacement

Enchilada

Strange person.
I just replaced a faulty valve in my MIC200 preamp
It still doesn't sound awesome but it's incredible the amount of difference replacing the valve made. Its a lot warmer and the vocals are more, I don't know how to describe, crisp sounding and a LOT cleaner (less noise). There's more definition or something.
I replaced it with a gold plated electro harmonix 12AX7-EH that cost well over 3 times what most other valves I looked at cost.
The original valve blew only after having it for a couple of months so I could have had a dud sounding valve to begin with but I'm happy with how it sounds nop. I think it will make a sweet bass DI box.

I'll post samples of it through my delta 1010lt card later.

I only have one issue, the valve doesn't glow
It is my understanding that valves should glow and why would it sound so much better if the valve wasn't working.

Enchilada said:
I only have one issue, the valve doesn't glow
It is my understanding that valves should glow and why would it sound so much better if the valve wasn't working.

The valve glow is fake, don't worry about it. It's backlit by a panel, just like lots of tube stuff from Roland, Korg, etc. The gear doesn't power the tubes enough that they glow, but people want to see tube glow. Marketing people want to see the glow, anyway. I almost guarantee it's working fine.

It's not a real tube preamp. It's called a "starved plate" design. It uses solid state components for the preamp, and then bleed in a little distortion from the tube to add warmth. Real tube amps operate above 100v. In a starved plate it only uses abount 45v.

As far as I know Behringer doesn't make a real tube pre.

I know it wasn't a real tube pre, a real tube pre costs heaps more. As for the LEDs to light up the valve, the MIC200 doesn't have those but the big vintage looking preamps they make do..
I was just making sure it didn't have to glow.

It probably won't glow that much. If you turn the lights down you might see a light orange from the filament.

Back