Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

trebles said:
Though i will say i did pick up my mackie HR824,S FOR 1000 USD FOR THE PAIR and i know thats even below the us price so some deals work out that way which is good ...(

trebles,

If you don't mind me asking, from where did you get those Mackie montitors @~$2,000-AU ??? (RP $3,200-AU).

Regards,
rathpy

"Nahhh i dont mind you asking"

I obtained the hr824,s through a Melbourne store After doing much hunting around and hagling i happened to find a store which happened to have someone there who was lets say changing his position i happened to Phone him at the right time and bought the pair of monitors from him carton fresh also bought a pair of rnc compressors on the same day as well total end price for two rnc,s and the pair of mackies

$2800.00. aussie dollars or $1400usd not bad if i say so myself

:cool:

trebles,

From what I can make out, you got ripper deal, even on the RNC's (,considering that everything is dearer in Australia. eg. RNC's list at $529au or ~$265usd). Good haggling!

Regards,
rathpy

the trick to haggling or lets call it securing a more reasonable deal is do it when your cashed up to do so as if you talk the talk but dont walk the walk all you manage to do is get offside with many shops

the one good thing i have now is time i never rush a purchase theres no need too if you rush you pay top shelfprice.

Many dont like todeal in this way but heres what i have to say on this when you buy the product what you can effectivly sell it for is way less then what you bought it for so why pay top price who cares you get one or two sales people off side but the guy who does the deal for you is the one you will be sticking with also think about how much easier future deals are too do he knows you wont pay top price but he also knows you will cough up the green folding stuff soits only in his intrest to give you what you want at the price you want it for.

Alot of shops talk about the service they give you and reckon its a fair cop to pay the fullprice and balance that up with the service they give you to me thats all talk

take product warranty for example do you really believe their worth the paper their written on think about some of the warranty nightmares you have heard about and then at what cost the consumer goes to just to get back a working product and still their behind the 8 ball and out of pocket.

I will never pay retail on anything i spent years buying and selling to know i dont have to ride the same highway.

Is there a difference between this

-Ultra-Linear Omni-Directional Microphone

And this?

-Ultra-Linear Omni-Directional Measurement Microphone

And also I am thinking of useing these to record myself singing Opera. I am a Tenor and have some very high resonance in my upper range, and some major overtones on a good day. Any suggestions on whether or not these would work? I am quite poor right now so it is looking like I might have to take a shot at it. I would be working with a Korg d16 and a mackie 1202 Pro for it's pre's. Would this give me a very accurate "non-messed" with sound? Because that is what I need to make a good demo.
Thanks for your time.

Matt

That "ultra-linear" stuff has been bothering me. In amplification, I've always understood ultra-linear to mean a mode of amplification that uses pentode and triode operation simultaneously so as to mimimize the artifacts of either mode. I don't think there is anything "ultar-linear" in this manner about the Behringer mic, so it seems to be their marketing guys trying to feed off audiphile buzz words or some such idiocy. Not that I don't like the mic, but I hate when techincal terms lose their significance. It's like those ADA power amps that claimed to be tube amps, even though the power was all Mosfet.

Okay, rant's over, but unfortunately I have little clue on micing opera. I'd figure you'd want to get the voices in a good acoustic space, and skip anything resembling close micing, but I don't know. If you're doing ambient micing, the Behringer is a pretty cheap mic that could be workable, but it does have a good bit of self-noise to contend with.

Bear

Re: aww

Guardian said:
Just gotta make sure you declare the value high enough so you get your full $$ paid back. I think if it's over $5k, it gets handled as a 'high value', im --Sal

And be prepared to hire a lawyer if you have to try and claim that insurance.

I bought an old Chroma Polaris on Ebay a while back. It came to me in the original shipping Box that fender shipped it to the music store in. It had the original foam that it was shipped in. It was very very broken. It had recieved enough shock to crack the wood ends, and tear the mylar ribbon cables that connect the keyboard to the logic board. The seller contacted UPS, who asked that we get a repair estimate. I took it to a repair shop that specializes in vintage gear. I had to pay them out of my own pocket(not much, but still)to get a statement that basically siad it was screwed and couldnt be repaired. UPS then picked up the board, still in the original box. I called them, and they told me that it was not properly packed(I dont think that they had even looked at it), and that they were shipping it back to the seller. I told the rather rude lady that it was in the factory packing material that the manufacturer originally shipped it in. She changed her tune, said she would get it shipped back to here and investigate further. Next, they said they lost the repair estimate(I had to get another copy), then they said that a local shop where the seller lived could fix it. So he took it there, paid them to tell him that they couldnt fix it, and called UPS. UPS said that it hadnt been packed properly(again), the seller reminded them that we had already covered that, then they said they would look into it. and started dodging his phone calls after that. Strangly enough, the person handleing the case was out on vaction, as well as thier supervisor, and thier supervisors supervisor etc. Finally the seller gets a local TV station involved and they show up at the UPS office with a camera crew demanding to know why UPS's insuanace is worth a shit. Suddenly, they are cutting a check for the insured amount, and to the deceased chroma off to wherever they take such things. So I got my money back(minus the repair estimate), and the seller got on the news, and UPS got a dead Chroma Polaris. I only ship things by UPS that cant get broken...like maybe sand or an anvil or something. My time is worth too much to deal with jerks like that.

Re: aww

Guardian said:
Just gotta make sure you declare the value high enough so you get your full $$ paid back. I think if it's over $5k, it gets handled as a 'high value', im --Sal

And be prepared to hire a lawyer if you have to try and claim that insurance.

I bought an old Chroma Polaris on Ebay a while back. It came to me in the original shipping Box that fender shipped it to the music store in. It had the original foam that it was shipped in. It was very very broken. It had recieved enough shock to crack the wood ends, and tear the mylar ribbon cables that connect the keyboard to the logic board. The seller contacted UPS, who asked that we get a repair estimate. I took it to a repair shop that specializes in vintage gear. I had to pay them out of my own pocket(not much, but still)to get a statement that basically siad it was screwed and couldnt be repaired. UPS then picked up the board, still in the original box. I called them, and they told me that it was not properly packed(I dont think that they had even looked at it), and that they were shipping it back to the seller. I told the rather rude lady that it was in the factory packing material that the manufacturer originally shipped it in. She changed her tune, said she would get it shipped back to here and investigate further. Next, they said they lost the repair estimate(I had to get another copy), then they said that a local shop where the seller lived could fix it. So he took it there, paid them to tell him that they couldnt fix it, and called UPS. UPS said that it hadnt been packed properly(again), the seller reminded them that we had already covered that, then they said they would look into it. and started dodging his phone calls after that. Strangly enough, the person handleing the case was out on vaction, as well as thier supervisor, and thier supervisors supervisor etc. Finally the seller gets a local TV station involved and they show up at the UPS office with a camera crew demanding to know why UPS's insuanace is worth a shit. Suddenly, they are cutting a check for the insured amount, and to the deceased chroma off to wherever they take such things. So I got my money back(minus the repair estimate), and the seller got on the news, and UPS got a dead Chroma Polaris. I only ship things by UPS that cant get broken...like maybe sand or an anvil or something. My time is worth too much to deal with jerks like that.

ups insurance....hahahah my friend had his line 6 combo shipped back east (he was moving) and he saw the ups guy drop it as he was carrying it in..but the ups guy never said anything like "oh i dropped it" so he called the number and complained he saw him drop it and that it's messed up. No estimates, no shipping the unit back...They let him keep the amp (which worked fine) and he got something like 1200 for insurance. Lots more studio stuff.

The moral of the story...

Watch the ups guy take it out of the truck :)

Ok, I have someone shipping a Korg d16 to me some time in the next couple of days, and I'm really nervous after hearing all these horror stories. What is the best and safest way to ship something? I know this isn't about the ecm8000, but I think this question needs this threads exposure and everyone will benifit from some wise answers in this area.

Matt

P.S. If I could get some help on my first question a couple up I would appreciate it also. That one was about the ecm8000. =)

Executivos said:
ups insurance....hahahah my friend had his line 6 combo shipped back east (he was moving) and he saw the ups guy drop it as he was carrying it in..but the ups guy never said anything like "oh i dropped it" so he called the number and complained he saw him drop it and that it's messed up. No estimates, no shipping the unit back...They let him keep the amp (which worked fine) and he got something like 1200 for insurance. Lots more studio stuff.

The moral of the story...

Watch the ups guy take it out of the truck :)

I once watched a UPS guy unload a bunch of monitors out of the back of a truck by literly throwing them into a pile. Luckily they all came out ok, but they guy saw me watching him and didnt think anything of it.

mgiles7 said:
Ok, I have someone shipping a Korg d16 to me some time in the next couple of days, and I'm really nervous after hearing all these horror stories. What is the best and safest way to ship something? I know this isn't about the ecm8000, but I think this question needs this threads exposure and everyone will benifit from some wise answers in this area.

Matt

P.S. If I could get some help on my first question a couple up I would appreciate it also. That one was about the ecm8000. =)

I have anything I care about shipped FedEx. I dont really know if it is safer, I have never had a claim with them, so that says something. In our area, UPS doesnt even wait for you to get to the door, they just leave it out on the porch in plain sight, for anybody to pick up.

fed ex.

You think Fed Ex is any better? Nope..guy who works @ UPS worked there too, and he said it's the exact same thing, EXACTLY...and the idiots at Fed Ex..hah, Ok, get this..I recently had something ordered from AMS..they had it out for delivery @ 530am, on a fed ex truck...I wait home all day, to make sure it doesn't get left outside in the snow/cold...and they never showed up..never...I check the website for the 500th time around 8pm, and it says 'receiver not in/business closed'...bull, If they had bothered to try dropping it off, I wouldn't NEED to be in, cuz I havea waiver on file, so they can just leave it at the door...which they didn't do..and if they were there and for some reason couldn't, they'd have left a note..nothing...So the next day, I check outside around 2pm, and there it is, sitting there....

So my $2500 package bounced around a fed ex delivery truck all day, and then again the next day...they are VERY stupid at Fed Ex too, from my experience at least..the only difference in Fed Ex and UPS, is that Fed Ex charges more, ships more volume via Air, and doesn't have a union..so they can fire people/layoff people..

Fed ex claims they're going to be stealing about 15% of business from UPS, probably from ground shipments..but they do everything the same way inside as far as handling packages goes..so who knows..

--Sal

Re: fed ex.

Guardian said:
You think Fed Ex is any better? Nope..guy who works @ UPS worked there too, and he said it's the exact same thing, EXACTLY...and the idiots at Fed Ex..hah, Ok, get this..I recently had something ordered from AMS..they had it out for delivery @ 530am, on a fed ex truck...I wait home all day, to make sure it doesn't get left outside in the snow/cold...and they never showed up..never...I check the website for the 500th time around 8pm, and it says 'receiver not in/business closed'...bull, If they had bothered to try dropping it off, I wouldn't NEED to be in, cuz I havea waiver on file, so they can just leave it at the door...which they didn't do..and if they were there and for some reason couldn't, they'd have left a note..nothing...So the next day, I check outside around 2pm, and there it is, sitting there....

So my $2500 package bounced around a fed ex delivery truck all day, and then again the next day...they are VERY stupid at Fed Ex too, from my experience at least..the only difference in Fed Ex and UPS, is that Fed Ex charges more, ships more volume via Air, and doesn't have a union..so they can fire people/layoff people..

Fed ex claims they're going to be stealing about 15% of business from UPS, probably from ground shipments..but they do everything the same way inside as far as handling packages goes..so who knows..

--Sal

I did have a similar experiance with FedEx once. I sold a keyboard and they guy sent the check fedex next day. Me, my Gtr player and my bass player are sitting in my house waiting for the check so we could go ship the board and head to the music store. I am looking at the web site, and it said they had tried to deliver, and no one was home(there were three of us there at the time). I called Fedex and bitched, and they said they would try to deliver again. while we are talking to his supervisor on the phone, they guy calls in to his supervisor and tells him we still arent there. We run out front and he is sitting in front of the house talking on the phone. I guess he couldnt handle the whole door bell concept.

At least the check got there in one piece though.

idiots

Yeah , they are pretty dumb sometimes..oh well..everyone is dumb I guess, can't blame an entire company for 1-2 people..except it happens to be lots of people for some reason..doh. I was pissed cuz there were microphones in the box, and I am SO anal with my equipment..at least the Neumanns arrived ok, and I got them inside ASAP.

--Sal

FedEx and UPS are merging

The new company will be called FEDUPS.

Sorry, I know this is an old joke, but I had to post it.:D

I had an almost bad experience with FedEx. I had ordered a Fostex VF-16 Multitracker and a Fostex CR300 CDR/CDRW from ZZounds. I picked the package up at the FedEx place in Panama City, FL. Both units were packed in a box, side by side. The box was about 6'X3'X5". It had a long gash along the length of the box. I showed this to FedEx while there and asked if I could open it there and inspect it. They said no. If I did not want to accept the package I could send it back, unopened. My other choice was to take it home, inspect it and if it were damaged to call ZZounds and let them handle it from their end. Luckily each unit was in it's original box which was then placed in the long box and nothing was damaged.

I had a pair of Behringer Truth monitors shipped from 8th Street Music via UPS. The shipping weight was 70lbs. One corner of the box was crushed. The box was left on my front porch (I live way out in the country) while I was at work. So I come home and see the box and the damage. Again, I was lucky. There was enough styrofoam that prevented damage to the exterior of the speaker. The foam was pulverized. Anyway, everything worked, but it is very obvious no care is taken during shipping.

If any of you have an opportunity to fly anywhere, watch the baggage handlers load the plane. It is a joke. Stuff falls off the belts going into the baggage hold. Boxes clearly marked fragile are thrown around like they were nerf balls.:mad: All this performance for the audiance sitting on the plane.

Oh, since this is a microphone forum, and I am a beginner with little cash flow, let me say that I have a Behringer B2 and it has been great. All I can compare it to though is the 58's I was using for vocals.

Happy Recording

Last edited:
quick question

I just got a pair of C 1000S's for my drum overheads. They sound GREAT... Can anyone make a comparison of the two that owns them If the proce for the pair is under $100 the studio budget will cover that no problem, but are they worth having INPLACE of teh C1000s or just as a different kinda mic. (I already have a pretty big selection of mic's, i guess its like cables.... you can naver have too many!) :)

Back