Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Ok give me the STUPID award

I got my second mic today and on the way down to the studio I thought
Well why dont we look inside of the mic to see what it looks like.
(I have never done this before )
ANy way I pull on the head piece and off it came and left the wires dangling on the
body of the mic.
I was able to solder them back on but it was NO FUN They are like little
hairs and you have to put the iron down in that little head piece.
Oh well at least it works

Nez
Could be worse....I got my mics from Musician's Friend. They came wonderfully packaged and in great shape. However, the Mackie 32x8 I got off ebay was left on my doorstep completely trashed. I open it up...the corner is in fragments...the frame was twisted so the sides tore off...a nightmare! Luckily the guy is super cool and UPS is taking care of it but DAMN!:eek:

Herm
Now you know, though, right? I figure ya wanna learn the inner workings at some point so I'd say it was quite smart to pull apart the behringer instead of say a royer ribbon or something!

Ham
I don't know but I didn't want to leave you feeling ignored:D

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob

Thanks Down Under

Hey Ausrock, Trebles

I know this is not a political forum but I was just reading the following on a Fox News Web Page about other countries involvement with the USA in the war on terrorism. I would like to thank our friends in Australia and many other countries who are assisting us in this effort. Maybe some of our US music stores would see what some of your people are doing for us to see that we continue to have our freedoms and make the world, in general, a safer place and would lessen their refusal to do business outside of our borders. This is a brief listing of your support:

Australia

Ships:
3 Frigates, One amphibious command ship

Troops:
150 Special Forces Soldiers; their duties may include possible search and destroy missions in combined operations with British forces; total number of personnel to be deployed: 1500

Planes:
2 PC3 Orions, 2 Boeing 707 Tankers for air-to-air refueling of combat aircraft, 4 FA-18A Fighter Planes

I know many other countries, especially the Brits are helping us and all are due our gratitude but I wanted to print Australia's participation because we have heard a lot from you guys the last few days. Each soldier participating from another country increases the odds that ours will all make it back from harms way.

What was the old '60's phrase, Make love not war. Lets all get together and make music. Everything else will fall into place. The spoken word can be strong, but if you can put it to music it goes further and deeper. Music can really open up the emotions. Man, am I having flashbacks from the sixties. I wonder if I still remember how to roll one. Oh well, I've gone from pot to Percaden. Works just as good and as long as I got my doc, its legal. Peace!!

Thanks again for the kind words Papa Jack.

I am sure all our forces along with us uk and world forces are doing what they have too we all have alot to be thankfull for from the safety of our armchairs as many more are seeing direct combat action so we all can live in freedom and peace

Thats one special gift indeed F R E E D O M something we all take for granted it helps to remind us how unlucky some really are compared to where we all are.

Ok politics an world events aside

Papajack you see it works like this

Australia recently adopted that gst like alot of other countries it was suposed to drop tax of certain items goods and services and add a flat 10% to all i am no economic brain but thats the nuts and bolts of it all

but when one examines the pricing alot closer one can see some major on the side scams made to make up their bottom line alot easier leaving us the consumer to pick up the tab this is why many like myself try hard and purchase good o/s

I must say so far ive bought whatever audio gear i have out here and iwill add i have got it so far below us costs so one might ask then whats all the fuss all about then well its all the bs one goes through to achieve the lower price here its not like i can go down to the store and buy it off the shelf at a lower price i got to twist arms till someone gives in then you got to cough up the cash there and then if you want deals like this so there is no lay away or getting great deals its cold hard cash bang give me what you got heres the dollars.

Eg an easy way to purchase those mics we are all talking about would be pay the dollars have the shop plain wrap your goods send reciepts and paper work to you via surface mail then ship the good out as b stock or replacement stock etc they still get the sale i get the goods and customs dont scam more dollars of the top anyway this is the dilema we face other then that if we want something we have to save the cash go in talk hard then you get the deal anyway i play it by ear im not quick to buy anything till i know i can get for what iam willing to pay.

by the way Papa Jack have you gone to look at that url ive left for you a few times in here ?

anyway look forward to reading more from you as time goes by

take care

kind regards

Wayne
Melbourne Australia

Sensory Overload

Trebles,
I visited that site last night rather late. It is an excellent site...so much stuff. I'm goint to have to download and print a lot of it when I get the time, then retire to my one-seater reading room for a couple of hours. Thanks for the tip.

They Arrived!

Hi,

I finally got my pair of ECM8000s last night from 8th Street Music and played with recording my wife snoring since it was too late to do much else. When I awoke this morning, I listened to playback and found that after about 5 minutes of my wife's soft snoring, my snoring kicked in about 50db louder and went on for a long time. I had no idea what she had to put up with.

The omnis pick up everything -- trucks going by, rustling papers, buoys in the bay, the furnace coming on, everything. I see why the venue becomes so important when using omnis, and also why employing bass roll-off would be useful as well. The honest truth of a truly flat mic isn't necessarily all that flattering. ;-)

Mark H.

Thanks Harvey!

My ECM's finally arrived. Thank you so much Harvey for pointing them out to all of us. We owe much to you and your wisdom.

I never did get an aswer on the difference between omnis and cardoids when it comes to room sounds. Are cardoids less forgiving on quiet sources because of the "one-sided" type view they have?

Just curious what your thoughts may be...

Just wanted you all to know....I just received my 2 ECM8000 mics from Zzounds.com. I paid $33.95 each plus $4.95 S & H for a grand total of $72.85 out the door for the pair.

I got the low price beacause I used "zZounds Spy Report" to ask them to match or beat the price from 8th Street Music.

I orderd on 11/15/01 and recieved them (well packed) on 11/27/01 via UPS.

Many thanks to Harvey for the great tip on these nice and inexpensive mics! I'm looking forward to recording some great stuff with them!

Doug, try plugging one in :)

I got mine yesterday too from 8th Street.

It sounds ok. Definately very bright as was mentioned long ago. I think I'll find many uses for it down the road.

The case it comes in is pretty lame, and the mic flies out when you first open it (mostly because they put the foam in backwards!!).

The mic itself is very heavy and strong feeling. I like that.

This is my first experience with an omni. I had a lot of fun getting right up into it!

Thanks for the tipoff harvey! I can't see any reason NOT to own a couple of these mics at $35 a whack.

Slackmaster 2000

Re: Thanks Harvey!

DougD said:
My ECM's finally arrived. Thank you so much Harvey for pointing them out to all of us. We owe much to you and your wisdom.

I never did get an aswer on the difference between omnis and cardoids when it comes to room sounds. Are cardoids less forgiving on quiet sources because of the "one-sided" type view they have?

Just curious what your thoughts may be...
Actually, there are several tradeoffs involved:

Cardioids are more fogiving on quiet sources because they pick up less room sound, but when you get them in close to the source, proximity effect plays havoc with the frequency response.

On the other hand, you can move an omni in very close to a sound source and the sound will still be the same, but the (now louder) source will tend to mask more of the room sounds.

It's almost a "Catch-22" situation, but each will have a slight edge, depending on the particular source you're trying to capture.

Basically, you just keep screwing around with this stuff and try to remember what happened when ya did something - it's called experience, and it just takes time.

"Basically, you just keep screwing around with this stuff and try to remember what happened when ya did something - it's called experience, and it just takes time."

Indeed, dude. Indude, deed. :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a request I put in for two of these mics materializes. I think they're gonna take me to some new places.

Hello again folks! Last nite I double mic'd a git amp as follows;
RODE-NT1 thru ART & limiter to board. Mic placement was approx 7" offcenter from amp's speaker. 2nd mic, the ECM, was placed approx 4 1/2 feet on center-line/axis from git amp's speaker,thru ART to board. RODENT & ECM panned hard left and right-dry and slight delay respectively.My vision was to producing my own natural reverb by using the ECM as an ambience-capturing mic and recording a fuller rhythmic git. (Mind you I'm playing percussive rhythm chords to accentuate bass & drums on Fender Strat) . And you know what, I was impressed!!! I like the idea of using omni's to capture Nat' Room'Verb while using another mic
to record amp up close! Please kiddee's, TRY this at home!! You will like the results and with more experimentation you can come up with neat lil omni mic'ing techniques that will most certainly satisfy you!!
Works well with acoustics also!
Peace
Mr.Q

Hey!!
You copied my idea! You musta heard me thinking about that!:D :p

I'm glad to hear that turned out pretty cool. I was going to try the exact same thing last night but, alas, I was lazy and surfed the net instead. Man, I was even going to use the NT1!

I suspected, though, that one of the strengths of these mics was being used as a second mic or room mic or what have you. That's cool news, indeed.

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

Here's anutha' mic'd-amp position using The ECM & SMack58 I tried today using elect bass.
ECM was placed approx foot and half pointed at a 45 degree angle towards my Peavy bass cab's speaker. SMack 58 aimed directly about 8" from cab's ports. Both mics run thru ART, thru limiter to tracks 2-3 both panned dead center. Flat eq on ECM
and a 75hz roll-off on the SMack with a approx 4hz gain on mid.
No efx,no comping and both tracks bounced to track 8.
The combination of bass tracks 2-3 bounced to 8 provided a clean,
crisp bass tone similar to a piccolo bass but with a clear low end.
PERFECT for the percussive thumb-slap technique of bass playing
with each note heard concisely. Again kiddee's try this at home! I never knew how cool it is using an omni for amp-mic'ing techniques!!!
Peace
Mr.Q

Misterque

I have tried this a few times and it's worked wonderfully! Place a sm57 within 2 in.,off centered from the speaker cone.Then I placed a 4033 about 5 feet away from the cabinet.The 57 is going to pick up the clarity without the room.The 4033 is going to pick up the added ambience from the room but it will lack the clarity.This is the trick For every foot away from the sound source you add 5ms of delay to the close mic (57) this will bring the close mic back in time with the 4033.What you get is the clarity and the naturalness.Works for me,I also use this theory when it comes to micing the drum kit.The drums sound in time with eachother and it gives you a natural perspective.The only setback is you need more than a couple delay units to achieve these effects.Peace:D

Harley,
I think you meant add 1ms for every foot of separation, since sound travels about 1 foot per millisecond. 5ms would be exactly right for your 5 foot separation example. Or did you actually mean someone should add 25 milliseconds of delay to the close mic for 5 feet of distance in your example?

Harvey you've done it again!!

Your exactly right it's 1ms per foot,It takes me a couple lbs. of coffee/sugar to get the motors running in the morning.Thank's again harvey.:D

Drum micing

As stated above you add 1ms for every foot, so on drums what I do is pick a focal point, say 6ft. above the drummers head where the xy overheads are at then measure all the mics distances relative to this focal point and add 1ms of delay to each mic for every foot away from the focal point.Peace:D

Back