behringer ecm8000 distorted

drummercat

HI, I am new to this forum (long time reader). nice to meet you all ~~
I bought a pair of ECM 8000 about 6 months ago, They work well for my drum overheads.
Last week I record some drums tracks still no problem....but I turn it on 2 days ago, I can hear a lot of distortion when I hit the cymbals......and the china cymbal distorted most!!
The distortion occurs after I turn it on about 3-4 mins.......and yes both mics.
I haven`t drop or crash the mics before......
any idea how to solve this problem???
I use a behringer ub2442fx for mixing and preamp.

Thanks!!
drummercat

From my experience, the Behringer ECM's clip like crazy when using them as drum overheads.

Not just one or two of them . . . every one I've ever tried.

And not just with one particular preamp or in one particular recording situation, etc. etc. bla bla bla bla.

Every one of them clips, internally, every time I've used them on drum overheads and in every comprehensible situation. In that role, they're just useless for me. I guess if you like clipping, distorting mics then they're a fine choice.

chessrock said:
From my experience, the Behringer ECM's clip like crazy when using them as drum overheads.

Not just one or two of them . . . every one I've ever tried.

And not just with one particular preamp or in one particular recording situation, etc. etc. bla bla bla bla.

Every one of them clips, internally, every time I've used them on drum overheads and in every comprehensible situation. In that role, they're just useless for me. I guess if you like clipping, distorting mics then they're a fine choice.
hmmm maybe, i dont have any experience with those mics. but he said he was getting nice results...
we all know the bad quality some behringer things can have, but its weird that it happened in both mics at the same time....maybe theres something wrong with the mixer? cables? phantom?

yeah well, it could be so many things
what im just trying to say is "do not throw the mics right away" as it could not be the problem source (sol)

thanks

Yes.....I have some nice result last 6 months.......
I havent change any setting before the distortion occurs.....
I tried unplug the mics and try it next day......I turn it on again it works well for 3-4 mins....and then distort again....

I remember I hit a lot of very loud rim shot last week.....after that there is distortion......will these rim shot destory the mics ????

Thanks!
drummercat

drummercat said:
Yes.....I have some nice result last 6 months.......
I havent change any setting before the distortion occurs.....
I tried unplug the mics and try it next day......I turn it on again it works well for 3-4 mins....and then distort again....

I remember I hit a lot of very loud rim shot last week.....after that there is distortion......will these rim shot destory the mics ????

Thanks!
drummercat
Shouldn't. If they both suddenly start distorting at the same time, I'd seriously look at any components that are common to both mics, like the preamp.

I have no other preamp to test.....
but I tried them in other channel in the mixer.....still sound like crap...
I think I should try them in other pre.....

anyone tried to use dynamic mics as overhead???
how`s the result???

Harvey Gerst said:
Shouldn't. If they both suddenly start distorting at the same time, I'd seriously look at any components that are common to both mics, like the preamp.

Back