Behringer compressors: Pro XL series

tomleblanc

I've been looking to buy a compressor, and had narrowed it down to either the FMR RNC, or one of the Behringer Compressors (because of their great features, and dual mono compression capability). Unfortunately I wasn't able to find much information about the new "Pro XL" models Behringer put out recently, especially in terms of comparison to each other and to the older "Pro" models. It looks like the XL series is substantially different from the Pro series compressors, but that the line between Autocom and Composer has become a bit more blurred. I was pretty confused, so I did some research.

I posted this info in the newbie area because I had some general compressor questions, but I figure it might be useful for people here who're looking at Behringer compressors (and better for search purposes to have the subject in the thread title) Here's what I found:

Apparently the "XL" models are Behringer's "new and improved" compressors. Interestingly, it seems that the difference between the Autocom Pro XL and the Composer Pro XL is pretty minor. According to the manual the specs are completely identical aside from a few minor things.

1. The Composer Pro XL has Behringer's tube-emulating function, whereas the Autocom Pro XL does not.

2. The Composer has a better de-esser that's manually adjustable, with a button to select "male" or "female." All this does is change the filter frequency to either 8.6kHz for "female," and 7.5kHz for the "male" setting. But the amount of reduction and everything else seems the same, according to the specs. The Autocom Pro XL's de-esser has a filter frequency of 5-8kHz and seems to be automated (at least there's no easily-accessible knob to tweak on the unit, like there is on the Composer version).

3. The Autocom Pro XL has a better enhancer, which is adjustable. It can boost up to 40dB at 7.5kHz, whereas the Composer Pro XL can boost up to 28 (and doesn't seem to be adjustable). Of course, it's debatable as to whether or not this enhancer does very much sonic "enhancing," but that's another debate altogether.

4. The Composer Pro XL has a relay-controlled hard-bypass with auto-bypass during power failure, whereas the Autocom Pro XL does not (according to the Behringer comparison chart I found on their site, the Autocom has a switchable hard-bypass...that doesn't make sense to me though).

Does anyone have the Composer with the tube-emulation function? I can't imagine it being all that great, but maybe it's a cool effect I'd want to have available. On the other hand, I've heard that the Autocom's enhancer is pretty useful sometimes. Ahhhh, I can't decide!

The Autocom Pro XL runs about $89, and the Composer Pro XL is around $109. If these are the big differences I don't understand the significant price difference. Seems to me that they just have a few minor differences in features, but are essentially the same compressor when push comes to shove. So maybe it just comes down to the differences...better enhancer vs. better de-esser + tube emulation + relay-controlled hard-bypass...hmmm...

Ummmm, homeboy. Didn't you post this question in the "NEWBIE"
forum!!??

Again, go for the RNC 1st, and peep the older version of the Composer Pro.

MISTERQCUE said:
Ummmm, homeboy. Didn't you post this question in the "NEWBIE"
forum!!??

Yes, I did, which is why I added the following line above, since I think this info is useful for others too: "I posted this info in the newbie area because I had some general compressor questions, but I figure it might be useful for people here who're looking at Behringer compressors (and better for search purposes to have the subject in the thread title)"

But now my question isn't about RNC vs. Behringer! I think this was getting too specific for the newbie forum anyway, and as I said I'd rather have the flexibility of dual-mono compression capability.

Basically, I was asking if anyone has personal experience with the Pro XL compressors, or insight about the particular features I described above, to help me choose between the Autocom and the Composer.

But thanks anyway homeboy ;)

now i'm gonna be late for work! but in hindsight i would rather have gotten the autocom pro xl... as apposed to the composer... for what i do the enhancer control would have been more useful than the de-esser.... as far as the tube thingy goes, well its always nice to have more buttons to push :)

MRQQ its just my opinion, but i find the pro xl series more "musical" than the pro series... but like i said thats just my opinion

Thanks Dr.! Why do you like the enhancer on the Autocom? What's it good for in your studio?

Also, does anyone else have one of these units and want to give me some more feedback on 'em? Thanks! :)

the enhancer is uselful in clearing up the higher freq.s, i never turn it past about three on the dial other wise it starts getting harsh (this is the pro not the xl series i have never heard an autocom xl)...

Do you know exactly what the enhancer does, or is it more of a "black box" type of thing? Do you typically use it on vocals?

Cool, thanks T-Bone! I'll post your comments from that thread here too, for search purposes, so that if anyone needs this thread in the future all the info will be here for them. Here goes:

T-Bone Studios said:
OK... I just picked up the PRO XL, Its got heaps more features then the PRO, but most of them suck.

The "Tube emulation", and Enhancer sound awful, (only tried using on bass and vox), The tube button just added heaps of noise, and the enhanser just added huge upper freqencies which sounded like it was feeding back/ringing, plus it added lost of noise too!

The de-esser (a new feature on XL) was quite good i thought, it did its job like it should without sacrafising tone.

The Compser pro had a better gate on it then the XL. But they both work pritty well to cut background noise.

Overall they both compress pritty well, there a bit noisy, so lucky they have a gate, but i still could do without that noise, Although My bass pre is REALLY Noisy as with the B-1 Mic. I wish I had a better compresser to compare with, but $85US, i can't complain.

I hope this helps"

Back