Behringer B1 or Marshal MXL1006

tuna

Hi.
I would like an opinion about my next buy:
I`ve found a used marshall mxl1006 about the same price of a brand shinny new behringher B1 kit.
As its my first condenser mic, and they are cheap in front of the other models ppl usually discuss overhere ( a AKG can costs easily 4 times than them overhere), I would like to ask if there are a big difference between them.
The B1 kit is nice, with a case, a "spider" and other supports for the mic.
The MXL1006 is in mint condition, but comes alone, with a small bag ( like sm 57 bag) and that`s it.
Best regards !

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100038

quote from dot on that thread:

Along with a good number of budget large condensers, we also tried the Behringer B1 on various sources such as vocals, amps, drum OH and acoustic guitar. In almost all cases the five or six engineers present at the sessions made various funny faces denoting non-pleasure with the sonic results of the B1. Some of the descriptions noted by the engineers included "cheap-sounding", "thin", "tinny", "shitty", "really bad" and "sounds like a good mic to record a mosquito".

Uffs.
Seems like the shockmount and nice case are there for a reason.
Thanks for pointing this thread.

tuna... what other mic's can you get in Brazil besides those two mic's and what type of things are you going to record the most?

Hi DJL,
In this price range, for condenser mics, this what I could find.
The are in the US$ 250 - 300 range, MXL being mint condition, but not new, and B1 being new.
Beginning from US$ 400 or more, I think I can get a CAD mic (not new). AKG`s run a little bit high than overseas prices.
It will be my first condenser mic, I have a small homestudio, mostly a blackface ADAT, small mixing board, compressor, etc, and I am planning to do a little bit of everything, recording vocals and acoustic guitars, helping to get ambience sounds of eletric guitars and drums.
So far I got dynamic mics ( sm-57, 58, electret mics), and I could get pretty good results with them. I thought that I could buy a condenser and start to get used to it.
Best regards, and thanks for your time replying this thread.

Go CAD.

I had an MXL V93 which I think was the same as the 1006.

Very bright.....almosdt brittle.......a little harsh IMO.

I got a CAD E-200 and it is a great all around mic.
Omni/Cardiod/figure 8 patterns, bass roll off, and 20dB pad.
Battered powered if neccessary (with Nicel/Cadmium batteries).

I would say that the E-200 is a pretty nuetral mic, very quite.
Not an in-your-face kind of mic but I love it.

More money but definitely worth it IMO.

-mike

I think I will stick with my dynamics, and save more for a nice first condenser.
Anyways, the first time is always remembered heheh

Tuna, I think your research is a bit faulty. I spent more than a month researching budget mics on-line and in magazines and found only one in the $100 range that received consistently strong reviews for low money vs. quality: the Studio Projects B1. I recently bought two and am very satisfied.

I recommend using the search function at this site. Dig deeper.

Best,

J.

tuna said:
I think I will stick with my dynamics, and save more for a nice first condenser.
Anyways, the first time is always remembered heheh
I think that's a good idea too.

The MXL V93M is the same as the MXL 2003, not the 1006. However, the V57M is (I believe) the MXL 1006. There's another that's the same as the MXL 2001, but I can't remember the name of it. I think it's a V6xM something...

I don't like the Behringer B1 or B2, and haven't heard the new B5 or C1. But, I would suggest the V57M, or the 67G from the reviews it's gotten. The Studio Projects are also nice mics.

You can save for a nicer mic, that's cool. However, there is an exceptional assortment of budget mic's (under $200 us) that have shown remarkable performance for the home studio. Not to mention, that one person's opinion of a nice mic is another's opinion of crap. So it's very subjective.

The main problem is that it is hard to find some gears overhere in Brazil, usually _when_ they come, are too overpriced.
That`s why I`ve asked these 2 mics, it is the only stuff I could find in this pricerange.
[]s

I've heard this before and have been curious..

Can't ya'll mail-order from the U.S. and pay overseas shipping? I know that it's a greater cost, but I wouldn't think more than $25.00 for a mic box...

Blind Cowboy...

Yes, several retail sites I've visited offer worldwide shipping.

And yes, opinions about mics are very subjective, so don't trust anyone, including me, too much about anything. Reviews do help a bit, though.

Good luck,
J.

While shipping overseas, I would have to pay the national taxes, what usually are about 60% of the product`s raw price.
Of course, big importers has other laws under which they operate.

Back