Behringer B-1: Good for the money?

BRX rad

I recorded with this mic last week, and really liked it. Do you think it's a good mic for the money? I'm looking to pick up two of these large diaphragm condenser mics. Any other suggestions that are under $150?

I don't really care for that mic. But you should get what sounds good to you.

However, if you haven't heard many other mics of this type, I would suggest checking out the Audio-Technica 3035 in that price range.

If you like the sound of them, then that's all you need to know. Personally, I think for a LDC mic I'd go with a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics. Those are well built, with high quality components. One thing we know about Behringer is that they skimp on everything from design to components. Given that, you may not be happy with their equipment over the long term. Plus given their record one B1 may sound completely different than another.

If you only need on LDC mic, you should check out the studio projects C1. Those are a bit more colorful sounding than the SP B1, but they sound pretty damn great on vocals.

one time i got a marshall 2003/603s pack for 100 bucks... i think that would be a good deal too.

however, the behringer is great for the price.

otherwise, i would suggest saving up for a studio projects mic

I think I'm gunna go with the Audio Technica AT2020. I found a killer deal on them on eBay.

They're decent mics, but they aren't large diaphragm condensers, nor are they true condensers. They use an electret condenser capsule that is only about .63 inches (16 mm) in diameter, while LDCs are normally an inch and up. The AT2020 is good for instruments (and particularly those that need a little bit of extra brightness), but I wouldn't typically reach for one as a vocal mic.

If you want a good vocal mic for sub-$200, I'd suggest a CAD M-179 (or better yet, a used CAD M9 if you can find one). Most mics that are cheaper tend to be a "you get what you pay for" sort of deal. More to the point, people often have an initially positive first impression of many of the cheaper mics because they are bright. Over time, though, and with careful listening, the sound will start to grate on you because it is bright. :D Whatever you do, don't use one of the bright mics as your only mic. The pain is cumulative when you stack up such harshness on lots of tracks. :)

Oh, or you could go with an Apex 205. The long ribbons can be nice for vocals if your pres can cut it. If your pres aren't so hot, stick with the CAD, though. A good test is to try an SM57 or SM58. If your pres can hack it with one of those, they'll be fine for any of the modern ribbons as well, as they have similar sensitivity.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to use them as vocal mics. I plan to use them as overheads for recording drums.

Ah. I just assumed that since you were looking at LDCs, you were probably trying to do vocals. That's completely different. Yeah, AT2020s ought to be reasonable for overheads. I've never tried it, but I think it would be reasonable.

You might want to add a little boost from about 40-120 Hz to make up for a little dip in the low frequency response, but otherwise, my gut says that I wouldn't expect them to be too harsh on cymbals. I've never tried them for that, though, so don't quote me on that. :)

Another vote for Studio Projects B1. I have a pair and they are versatile and neutral. Great performer for the price.

Back