Behringer audio interface (uca222)

colja

So you can connect it to the mixer through rca inputs, but there's only 1 pair of left and right rca outputs! So I can only connect that to only one active monitor? Or how does that work?

The manual for the uca222 has diagrams for hookup to two monitors left and right. You could also send those outs to something else if you wanted to. They aren't limited just to monitors.

UCA222 Manual

I'm not sure how you figured you get only one monitor from two outputs.

If you're going to use it for overdubbing you would connect the outputs to the mixer. The mixer would need to have the appropriate features to make this possible. If you're just capturing audio without overdubbing then you can connect the left output to one monitor and the right output to the other monitor.

AFAIK the 222 is electrically identical to the 202? I have had two of the latter and both gave very decent results within the limitations of the device and its price.

Those limitations are: 16bits only but you still get a -85dBFS noise floor and the mixer is likely noisier than that! Then the input headroom is limited (IIRC -18dBFS is at -10dBV) so some care with levels is needed as most mixers and pre amps naturally chuck out considerable more than neg ten (I built a passive pot box for mine to use at work) .

You do NOT want to drive active monitors (yes! You can use two as told!) straight from the RCA outs. You will have only software control of level. Not good. Instead, as mentioned feed the outputs back into the mixer (almost all mixers have RCA "tape/CD" inputs) or use a passive controller, a stereo 10k pot in a tin would be fine for a compact setup.

So, an OK device if you just need to grab the output of a mixer but operationally, dubbing, building tracks etc, not useful.

Dave

Yup. I'm using a UCA222 for live playback of sound effects at a theatre this week and I'm definitely doing a stereo feed with those two RCA outputs with lots of left/right panning for the effects. It's a nice little unit, especially for playback.

I'm not sure how you figured you get only one monitor from two outputs.

If you're going to use it for overdubbing you would connect the outputs to the mixer. The mixer would need to have the appropriate features to make this possible. If you're just capturing audio without overdubbing then you can connect the left output to one monitor and the right output to the other monitor.

I'm stupid when it comes to this :P Monitors (active) have left and right inputs. So I plug the left from uca222 to the left of one monitor, and the same for right?

I'm stupid when it comes to this :P Monitors (active) have left and right inputs. So I plug the left from uca222 to the left of one monitor, and the same for right?

Yes, but! As I say, the only control you will have over the sound level (other than the pre sets on the monitors) is the software slider on whatever recording software you use (call a DAW).

This is not only inconvenient but also gives you nothing to dive for when the system goes ape***t at 2 am.

As Bobbs and I said, handy wee boxes but DO have operational drawbacks.

I am sure someone far more 'puter cute than I will post a picky of the required connections on a mixer?

Dave.

Oh! I have a dynacord powermate 1600-3 and it has cd 1-2 and 3-4 inputs! So I plug it in there? What do I do next?

Why do you need the UAC222 when your mixer seems to have a USB interface???

Posted by ecc83.... 'Instead, as mentioned feed the outputs back into the mixer (almost all mixers have RCA "tape/CD" inputs)'

Which your mixer does have if you chose to use the Behringer interface
You could also use the '2 Track In' jacks as well

1600.jpg

Posted by ecc83.... 'Instead, as mentioned feed the outputs back into the mixer (almost all mixers have RCA "tape/CD" inputs)'

View attachment 98034

I'd use the USB I/O or connect the interface output to the CD input so it could be routed to the monitor outputs rather than the main output. The 2-track input look like it can only go to the main output, which would make overdubbing impossible. Using the monitor outputs would probably require a headphone amp.

---------- Update ----------

What monitors do you have?

View attachment 98034

Because that interface allows 4 chanells only... I'm not familiar with this, that's why I'm asking! If I plug the outputs from uca222, to the cd inputs (also rca), what will happen? How will I hear the sound like I would if I would plug them directly into monitors? I'm bad with this, please don't be pissed

Oh, also, where do I connect the uca222's inputs? 2track or rec send?

Because that interface allows 4 chanells only...

That's 4 channels of audio to/from the mixer at a time, not a total limit of 4 tracks in the software. In the software you can have as many as you want. The DAW will let you mix them to stereo, which you play back through the mixer while adding more. You've got one up on many people here whose interfaces can only send 2 at a time to the software.

I'm not familiar with this, that's why I'm asking! If I plug the outputs from uca222, to the cd inputs (also rca), what will happen? How will I hear the sound like I would if I would plug them directly into monitors? I'm bad with this, please don't be pissed

Connect the monitor outputs from the mixer to the monitors. This is slightly confusing because those are somewhat different uses of the word monitor, but it's the way to go. Actually, the monitor output should be able to feed studio monitors and headphones, with the option to mute the speakers when you're overdubbing.

Oh, also, where do I connect the uca222's inputs? 2track or rec send?

Use the rec send. But really it looks like you don't need the UCA at all.

That's 4 channels of audio to/from the mixer at a time, not a total limit of 4 tracks in the software. In the software you can have as many as you want. The DAW will let you mix them to stereo, which you play back through the mixer while adding more. You've got one up on many people here whose interfaces can only send 2 at a time to the software.

Connect the monitor outputs from the mixer to the monitors. This is slightly confusing because those are somewhat different uses of the word monitor, but it's the way to go. Actually, the monitor output should be able to feed studio monitors and headphones, with the option to mute the speakers when you're overdubbing.

Use the rec send. But really it looks like you don't need the UCA at all.

Thanks! But if I want to record drums, I use 9 mics :P so I need more chanells! Anyways, thank you very much!

Thanks! But if I want to record drums, I use 9 mics :P so I need more chanells! Anyways, thank you very much!

Alas, then you've bought the wrong piece of gear--or two wrong pieces of gear. Entry level interfaces like the UCA222 and even some fairly high level USB mixers still only feed 2 channels (i.e. stereo) to and from the computer. Especially with mixers you always have to watch because the manufacturers are keen to say "16 channel mixer" when they mean 16 inputs, not 16 outputs.

There are some boxes that would do what you want. If you could live with 8 channels (or buy a basic preamp and use one of the line level inputs,
this TASCAM would be about the most economical way I know of to do it. I'm afraid that the jump from 8 to 9 inputs can be a difficult one to cross.

Alas, then you've bought the wrong piece of gear--or two wrong pieces of gear. Entry level interfaces like the UCA222 and even some fairly high level USB mixers still only feed 2 channels (i.e. stereo) to and from the computer. Especially with mixers you always have to watch because the manufacturers are keen to say "16 channel mixer" when they mean 16 inputs, not 16 outputs.

There are some boxes that would do what you want. If you could live with 8 channels (or buy a basic preamp and use one of the line level inputs,
this TASCAM would be about the most economical way I know of to do it. I'm afraid that the jump from 8 to 9 inputs can be a difficult one to cross.

I'm using a dynacord powermate 1600-3... What do you think about it? Could I use the uca222?

I'm using a dynacord powermate 1600-3... What do you think about it? Could I use the uca222?

Yes, you could use the 222 but maybe not with the software you have . I have used 2 USB interfaces together in Samplitude but I am not sure other DAWs allow it. Even then the two devices will not be locked in sync. That did not matter for the 3 minutes or see we needed at the time but longer tracks and especially time critical instruments like drums could pose a big problem.

As Bobbsy says, if you want the high track count you really need another interface.

Dave.

What interface should I get then? I need no chanells! Also, where is the monitor output on dynacord powermate 1600-3? I'm looking at the manual but I can't find it...

They're labeled MON 1 and MON 2 and meant for stage monitors rather than studio monitors. The idea is to separate the record output from the control room/headphones output so you can hear the playback plus the live inputs but just record the live inputs. You could switch it around and use the MON outs for recording and the main outs for control room/headphones.

But like they said above, the gear you have isn't really meant to do what you want to do.

They're labeled MON 1 and MON 2 and meant for stage monitors rather than studio monitors. The idea is to separate the record output from the control room/headphones output so you can hear the playback plus the live inputs but just record the live inputs. You could switch it around and use the MON outs for recording and the main outs for control room/headphones.

But like they said above, the gear you have isn't really meant to do what you want to do.

Yeah that's what I thought... I just had to make sure! What interface do you guys recommend then? Or should I just use the one that comes in the mixer? And what's wrong with my gear? I mean, where's the problem? What should I get? I haven't bought the uca222 yet, I only have a
- Dynacord Powermate 1600-R
- 2 Bell V4s (speakers)
- 1 bell subwoofer (forgot the model)
- a custum built amp for speakers
- 2 Martin passive speakers EM series
- active monitor

I guess I could use the interface in the mixer :P I would mostly record guitar just for fun!

Back