Behringer Amps

eternalpayn

How's it going, everyone?

Usually I'm a pretty big fan of Behringer, most of my gear is from them. My Behringer bass amp is supposedly 20watts, and it goes the volume a 20watt should. However, I've been looking into getting a bigger, 100-200+ watt amp in the near future, and everywhere I go I'm seeing people say that the bigger Behringer Amps falsify their wattage, or at least are much quieter than other amps of equal power. If this is true and someone has experience with it, can you tell me how much quieter it is? Am I hearing a couple disgruntled customers, or do they really pack less of a punch? I just don't wanna get screwed and end up with a practice amp, but I also don't want to shell out a couple hundred more than I have to.

Thanks!

Seriously, it doesn't matter if the amp claims 1kW or 10W. If it gives you the tone you like, enough headroom, and a competitive price, give it a shot.

Remember that all other things being equal, perceived volume in terms of watts is logarithmic. A 10W amp is half as loud as a 100W amp on the same speakers. The difference between 60W and 100W is going to be a little more headroom. It's not going to be drastically different in sound. It's more like turning the 60W amp to 11, to borrow a cliche.

FWIW, I briefly owned a Behringer BX4500H and returned it for being lifeless and dull. In my opinion, they should remove the entire preamp and replace it with a NICE compressor, and sell the thing as a 450W preamp-less power amp for bass guitar at $200. That makes it a cheap, powerful slave head for your extra speaker cabinet. As a complete head, though, it wasn't worth owning.

Is there a particular amp you're considering?

I still have one of their BX1200 tilt back bass amps. It has proven to be a good solid small bass amp suitable for a range of venues. I believe their BXL1800 is the current model that is somewhat similar.

Ed

The volume issue may not be with the amp rating, but the efficiency of the speakers they're using.

that's it!!!!

...lifeless ...

I could never quite find the word to describe my Behringer amp. Lifeless seems to fit. My Fender Sidekick 35R has lots more "spank" than the Behri. Even my Supro Chicago 51 has a lot more "life". Could it be the Jensen speakers or is it the preamp? Never was quite sure why it didn't have more "punch". It's a GMX210.

The volume issue may not be with the amp rating, but the efficiency of the speakers they're using.

I agree 100%.

In my case, it was just the head. I don't really know if there was a volume issue with the BX4500H. In the short time I owned it, I didn't really crank and compare to anything.

Just for the record, I don't think there's anything really BAD with a Behringer amp, but I do think it's a case of getting what you pay for. If you want a cheap practice amp, go ahead. I needed a gig-worthy head that was simple and sounded great, and the Behringer just wasn't fitting that description. Might have been gig-worthy, but it was filled to the gills with features I didn't need, and it didn't sound that good.

Back