Behringer ADA8000 opinions?

twostone

I gotta HD24XR wanted to know if this unit would work for recording drums? I don't have enough of micpre's to capture a drum kit I only have 2 micpre's at the moment. Budget is my limitation, thought I might give the ADA8000 a try . I know it's a Behringer but that's all I can afford for awhile until I save of for a Octipre or something,just need something basic for now. I don't expect stellar performance from the ADA8000 but for 230 ship to your door seems like a bargain . Also if anybody has any demo's with this unit please share so I get an ideal of how bad or good they sound Thanks.

Actually the ADA8000 is Probably one of the best pieces of Behringer gear they have Made (From what I hear)...I hear many poeple complaining about Behringer gear but everyone says great things about the ADA8000 especially for the $200 Price tag you can not beat haveing 8 Preamps and an AD/DA Converter and Digital In/Out and wordclock....It is like haveing a 8 Channel Interface for $200...If I had the money and a Digital Input/output on my PC i would get one .....

I"m sure you won"t be dissapointed for that Price.....

Cheers

I have one and love it...

Allows me to record 16 simultaneous tracks with my VF16 via the lightpipe out, but I mostly utilize it for the individual pres/xlr/phantom power to record my drums...

You can't beat it for the price.

:)

What do you expect?

It's another piece of crap stuck in a box made by none other than Uli Behringer. Of course it sucks.

Actually, I've never used it, so I can't really comment. :D

I use one with a MOTU 828mkII I think I got it for $189 + Tax at GC (but I don't really remember the price).

Anywho, no complaints. As people have said, for the price, it's hard to say no. I've been quite happy with it, and would buy it again if I had to.

My general feeling is don't worry so much about the mic pre's, worry about musicians who know which way their guitar goes.

It's a pretty crappy piece of gear, but it's one of the few pieces Behringer got right (for the most part).

The preamps suck (this is undeniable, people!) but the converters are actually decent.

At that price point it's tough to beat.

Can you make a good recording with one? Yes you can. I have. I'll probably never use one again though.

Here's a sample

24 channel live recording rough mix, done with 3 :eek: ADA8000's...

tnjazz said:
It's a pretty crappy piece of gear, but it's one of the few pieces Behringer got right (for the most part).

The preamps suck (this is undeniable, people!) but the converters are actually decent.

At that price point it's tough to beat.

Can you make a good recording with one? Yes you can. I have. I'll probably never use one again though.

Here's a sample

24 channel live recording rough mix, done with 3 :eek: ADA8000's...

What's your definition of "suck"? Something that you say you can make a good recording I wouldn't think "sucks" Now compared to an Octopre, maybe it "sucks," but on it's own, I think it's good.

I'm not trying to defind Behringer because I own an ADA8000, like you said at that price point, it's tough to beat. Of course it's on the low end in terms of the qualities of the mic pres, and Behringer is a shady company that I don't necessarily feel good about supporting (again the price made it too good to pass up). I would never try to bill it as more than it is, but I'm just trying to understand the language. You say it's crappy, but they got it right?

-Confused.

RAK said:
What's your definition of "suck"? Something that you say you can make a good recording I wouldn't think "sucks" Now compared to an Octopre, maybe it "sucks," but on it's own, I think it's good.

I'm not trying to defind Behringer because I own an ADA8000, like you said at that price point, it's tough to beat. Of course it's on the low end in terms of the qualities of the mic pres, and Behringer is a shady company that I don't necessarily feel good about supporting (again the price made it too good to pass up). I would never try to bill it as more than it is, but I'm just trying to understand the language. You say it's crappy, but they got it right?

-Confused.

After hearing recordings made with higher grade preamps, the Behringer sound sucks. That is my definition of suck.

However, I consider myself an extremely critical listener and to some who are not as concerned as I am with what they are hearing (perhaps the typical home hobby user?), the ADA8000 represents an excellent value.

I bought three. One arrived DOA. I replaced it and worked with them for several months.

Are they usable? Sure, if you're not all that picky about the sound quality. Once you listen to recordings made with the $1000+ preamps you realize what's not there though.

If you have nothing better to compare it to, it's a good piece. Can you get good sounds out of it? Listen to the sample and see what you think.

I don"t know how the Behr Pre amps are built but it might be Possible to mod one so it Produces better quality like Maybe replaceing some Low quality Electro"s with some better quality ones and Bypass them with good Polly"s and maybe switch out the Opamps for better quality ones....

Just maybe something to look into if you own a ADA8000.....

Cheers

Actually, I own one, which sits in my rack next to an Avalon AD2022 and a Joemeek twinQ. It's simply an option when I want more than 8 simultaneous ins into a Digi002. Yeah, I think of it as an auxiliary preamp for additional drum tracks or when I have multiple simultaneous voiceovers in a radio play. My assessment is that they are basic mixer preamps, probably no better and no worse than a Mackie board. In other words, it does exactly what I want it to do, at a bargain price. Is it a great preamp? No. Is it a useful tool? Yes.-Richie

tnjazz said:
After hearing recordings made with higher grade preamps, the Behringer sound sucks. That is my definition of suck.

However, I consider myself an extremely critical listener and to some who are not as concerned as I am with what they are hearing (perhaps the typical home hobby user?), the ADA8000 represents an excellent value.

I bought three. One arrived DOA. I replaced it and worked with them for several months.

Are they usable? Sure, if you're not all that picky about the sound quality. Once you listen to recordings made with the $1000+ preamps you realize what's not there though.

If you have nothing better to compare it to, it's a good piece. Can you get good sounds out of it? Listen to the sample and see what you think.

I agree, compared to $1000 preamps they don't compare. Sorry you had bad luck with them at first. I don't by into the critical listening stuff you're saying though. Many people (of corse not all) could probably hear the difference between a $200 pre and a $2000 pre, but never get the chance, so the $200 pre sounds great. But I don't think the $200 pre loses its value one you hear and can appreciate the $2000 value.

I known a few very talented full time engineers who have used them because, hey why pass that up for $200.

I'm not trying to convince you to like the ADA8000, I think your opinion is very valid, and people should know there's a lot better sounding equipment out there. I'm just saying my entire career so far has been based on being a "critical listener," and I have no problem with it. (this is where I opened myself up for people saying I'm probably tone deaf)

Again, why spend $2000 on a mic pre only to spend an entire trying to get the bassist and drummer to learn how to play in time together.

Basically I just want to agree with Richard Monroe's assesment.

The ADA8000 is a total bargain. Easily worth the money if you need to add 8 digital I/O's and 8 preamps on a tight budget.

Reactions: RAK
Well I thought it was a pretty good deal myself so I went ahead and decided to pick one up so I'm able start recording drums figured this might to the trick I appreciate all the input you guys posted and Tnjazz the tune you posted was decent enough for our bands demo project. We don't have the luxury of using high end preamp's unless we go down to our local studio which they have some 1073"s which we had one demo done. So I know the Behringer isn't gonna compare with what they use but for the price it's hard to beat again thanks for every body's input and opinions.

Back