Behringer ADA8000 and Mixer question

blarg

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask. I'm planning on using the Behringer ADA8000 to connect to my computer via Optical Lightpipe. My question is, how would I put an analog mixer into it all so I can use the analog controls for the inputs? I was thinking that I would put the mics into the mixers then from mixer to ADA, which then goes to the computer. But I'm not sure if each of the 8 channels will be seperate going into the computer that way. Either that, or I would go from the ADA to the Mixer from the outputs, but then I figured that the data going to the computer would still be pre-mixer. So if anyone could let me in on their setup, or offer some help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm assuming you want to use the ADA8000 for the AD conversion. First of all, the ADA8000 has mic preamps so you might want to consider not using the mixer at all If you don't need any complex routing. In that case the mixer is just extra signal processing.

If you want to get individual inputs from the mixer to the ADA you will need at least 8 direct outs on the mixer. These would go to the line ins on the ADA.

You would not want to run through the ADA first as your just going back to analog at the mixer and I think your goal is to have digital input to the computer.

I don't have the ADA but I looked at the manual, and it says you can get 8 channels out through an ADAT type interface. In otyher words you will need an ADAT compatible interface on your computer to decode the output into 8 channels. I'm not sure if ADAT and lightpipe are the same or compatible maybe someone else can answer that.

Good luck
Erich

do you know of any good mixers with 8 direct outs. I'm on a bit of a budget, so try also to consider cost. Just let me know the cheapest one you know of.

blarg said:
do you know of any good mixers with 8 direct outs. I'm on a bit of a budget, so try also to consider cost. Just let me know the cheapest one you know of.

Behringer has some decent mixers for very little cash out. Some hate them though.
I have the Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO and it is setup on the top of my rack and makes it very portable. It has 8 direct outs you can control with the faders and they patch directly into my Digi002R. I have the same Behringer ADA8000 on back order so I will augment the 8 direct channels with the 8 from the ADA800 through a direct digital out and give me 16 channels at one time.
$299.00 at Musicians friend:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631230/

Last edited:
what about the Behringer BCF2000, it seems like it would control the mixer on the software, but in the manual it looks more like just a midi control box. Similarly, if you could use it as with the software, could it be used as a real time mixer. In other words, can you use it as you are recording, or is it pretty much for playback or for pre-record settings. I guess I'm asking, what exactly is it, can I use it, and is it worth it to get it instead of the analog mixer.

Back