Behringer, a jem or crap?

Behringer stuff, a jem or crap?

• Behringer is great, I love their products!

Votes: 172 32.8%
  • Behringer is so so

Votes: 206 39.3%
  • Behringer sucks, don't ever buy from them

Votes: 87 16.6%
  • Don't care / do a search, lazy ass / don't own Behringer stuff

Votes: 59 11.3%

• Total voters
This is just my opinion but I think the motto I have heard about behringer equipment is true. "Behringer will give you the best bang for the buck." I have a behringer Bass guitar amp, Behringer studio Truth monitors and a small mixer... My bass amp is awesome, I have impressed so many ppl with it. Although I am not that good yet with studio gear, I have never had any problems with my other behringer stuff.

I'm not sayin that their gear is the best, I think if you have the money and are willin to spend it then you can get better gear from other brands but for ppl lookin for good product at a good price then this is it. If you are new to buyin equipment as well then Behringer is the way to go.

I say, if you don't have much money, need some basic functionality, and you're not going to depend on it to make a living, buy it. The truth is though, it's cheap built stuff that probably won't last as long as the gear that it was copied from and does'nt sound as good as alot of gear that's a little more money. That does'nt mean that you can't make decent home recordings with it though. I've heard some good stuff that was recorded with behringer gear but it had alot more to do with the music and musicians than the gear that was used.

cowboyj said:
What do you all think?

i have only purchased a headphone amp and a balanced patchbay & a cable tester

I don't like the headphone amp, and have opted to build my own.

The patchbay is not one i would trust for 1000's of insertions, but luckily i'm not using it in that fashion.

Actually, the only thing i've actually purchased and liked ( i was given a T1953 which i gutted and refitted, and i can use it on snare SOMETIMES) is their cable tester. It's actually extremely handy.

so, congratulations behringer! Your cable tester rocks!

I have a behringer xeynx...its okay, nothing crazy great. The effects help out sometimes, i havent had any channel/sound problems. But im thinking for my next mixer, i might go for something a bit bigger and better (soundcraft..mackie..etc). If your starting out and unsure about if you wanna pursue musical stuff, id say go for it for the price. But the price seems like its the only plus.

TravisinFlorida said:
I say, if you don't have much money, need some basic functionality, and you're not going to depend on it to make a living, buy it... alot more to do with the music and musicians than the gear that was used.
Ha great, I read all the way through the thread and finally, on the 4th page, somebody posts basically what I was gonna post. Damn you for making me read!! Hah

Here's the simplest way to explain it:

Behringer is the McDonald's of audio gear.

TravisinFlorida said:
That's it. You know you want the steak but a big mac won't make you cry.

Yeah man! It's like, the fastest way to be not hungry, but you'll most likely regret it later when it turns to shit... liquid shit... haha

hahaa...yeah thats best I've read out of the 12,000 posts on this subject.

McDonalds... it fits man...pfftt

I don't know much about audio history, but I think Behringer started the entry level audio.
They put in regular people's budget audio equipment. They do what they have to do to make it as cheap as possible, even if they have to steal some designs here and there. I don't think that's morally correct, but it's like mp3 piracy. It does bad but it also does good.
Example: Behringer stole a mixer design from Mackie. I bought the Behringer mixer since it was so damm cheap and it was the only one I could afford. If I woulnd't have bought the berhginer I probably wouldn't even have started to think about making my own studio. So in a year or two when I have some more money and my Behringer mixer breaks up, what am I going to buy? Probably a mackie or similar brand. Which I wouldn't have bought in the first place if I never started my own studio with that cheap ripp-off behringer mixer.
So from a musicians point of view, who already has to spend a lot of $ on musical instruments, they are fucking awesome.

I voted so-so on this one...I've got some Behringer stuff that completely blows, and some that isn't too bad. I don't have any of it for recording (well, a headphone amp, but come on...), but basically all of it is for live sound. My biggest Behringer purchase mistake/ dissappointment were buying two of their friggin 15" main/monitors. $160 sounds and holds up like they were $160 a piece. The two went on the very first night (not even 100 watts into both from a crown XS 400..I think that's what my amp is called....:confused:) and they just both blew at the crossover. So bad juju with behringer speakers.
I was given a behringer EQ, 2 channel, 31 band...and it's INSANELY noisy. I don't use it at all, even for monitors. I got a DBX instead. I have a rather old Behringer compressor/expander/gate, however, and it does it's job nicely and has for quite some time...

So I guess all in all, it's not that great. Their guitar amps are complete junk, though.

I have a rather old Behringer compressor/expander/gate, however, and it does it's job nicely and has for quite some time...

Yeah, i have on older compressor, i'm guessing about 10 years old atleast. It seems to be decent. It does it job, it's quite, and it's pretty transparent. I have the headphone amp as well, i mean you have to be pretty bad to mess up a product like that.

I also have to agree with poster talking about his mixer. I did the same thing. There was really no way when i started that i could afford better. Everyone says buy cheap, buy twice. Well, i probably would have bought the nicest 8 channel mixer and really be lacking on inputs. So it worked out great for me. I didn't like my mixer, but it actually did save me money. It's entry level gear and it's fine for the entry level user.

Would i buy anything now. No, not a chance. Even mackie has a comparable headphone amp at a similar price level. That's the only peice of gear i would concider, only because it has absolutely no impact on soundquality. But it is a bit noisy. I'm pretty sure the mackie would be a better choice with zero research. Anything else, i wouldn't even take the time to read a review.

...you will replace them and lose nearly all the money on them....

My Behringer armada includes:

16-ch Mixer ("with British EQs!") - $150 at GC
4-ch Mixer - $40 at GC
Patchbay - $100 from Zzounds
2-ch Tube Mic Pre - $230 at GC
4-ch Headphone Preamp - $110 at GC

TOTAL - $630

So far, I've had this stuff about a year and a half, and it still works. Works pretty well, actually. What if I hated every single bit of it all of a sudden, and replaced it with *used* stuff that folks here would approve of? Can I take a $630 bite - less the actual use I've gotten from the stuff?

Answer is "yes."

Most people making this argument are assuming a zero-sum game, which it isn't.

yeah, their the McDonalds brand....

I don't expect much from McDonalds either, but I eat their shit crap simulated burgers now and then for $1.

Usually regret it too.

i still have my trusty Eurorack MX802A

its held up great so far - its been thru alot also..

i wouldnt buy and am or fx or anything but mixers are ok in my book

Back