Behninger XENYX 1002b

Wack

Hi, I've recently borrowed a friend of my friends Behninger XENYX 1002b non powered mixer. The reason was to test it recording drums, and acoustic live recordings. I've successfully recorded drums and acoustic with mics. But I can't seem to get the line ins or mono ins to pick up the guitar/bass/keys. I assume that would be the run in for the instrumentals. I don't have the instructions, the guys out of town and this is why I'm using it. Does anyone have any idea how to pick up the instrumentals? My friend said I may need guitar to mic output. He said the board may not pick up simply guitar input, and as I said before, I need an adapter to make the guitar input to a mic input. If anyone knows if this is or what is my problem, please let me know.

Thanks so much for posting that, I'm going to try it when I get home. I used the correct mic lines for drums accept the last 4 not 3 as I use 4 mics. I was using a vocal mic on mic line (1) and also had guitar plugged into lin in 1 and only got mic levels. Can they not be in the same input? Also, I've completly unplugged everything mic/instrumental wise and ran just the guitar, tried it in about every input and got nothing.

I was using a vocal mic on mic line (1) and also had guitar plugged into lin in 1 and only got mic levels. Can they not be in the same input?
no, they cant;)
Also, I've completly unplugged everything mic/instrumental wise and ran just the guitar, tried it in about every input and got nothing.
is the cable okay? does bass guitar give input?

The cable is fine, works through the tascam. Bass is not being picked up at all. I'll know shortly if the info you've given me is as accurate as it seems. I thank you for all the help you have provided.

i assume your going line in straight from a guitar/bass source, which mean unless you have active pickups you need an active preamp, like an avtice direct input(di) box ot get singal from a guitar or bass.

Is that a nessisity If I can run through amps? Does the mixer not have pre amps? Or just mic pre's? Thanks for the info. If you have a link for the preamp, It would be greatly thanked.

Why do you not want to mic the amps?

The mixer has mic preamps, but to record direct from a bass or guitar you need a DI box to sort out the impedance mismatch.

However clean direct recorded guitars sound fairly shite unless you do processing to them afterwards (reamp, amp sim, etc), but you wouldn't be able to do this with the mixer setup anyway if you were recording a stereo mix of the instrumentals.

Which brings us back to full-circle back to the idea of mic'ing the amps, which is generally the preferred method anyway.

Back