beginner to keyboards, I need help getting one

bball_1523

Hi, I am going to be learning the basics of piano at school this semester and I am also deeply interested in purchasing a keyboard for my own personal use and practice.

I was wondering what you guys think I should purchase since I am completely new to piano/keyboard playing and the technical side to them.

I listen to a lot of progressive rock/metal and am heavily influenced by the style of music. I would like to create beautiful atmospheres and play lots of gorgeous melodies over my pads. If you've ever heard of Symphony X, Pain Of Salvation and Enya, that's the kind of music I want to play on keyboard. I'm not really worried about soloing or tweaking sounds and making them all dynamic or whatever like Jordan Rudess of dream theater does, but rather I just want to make atmospheric rhythms like in the songs of the three artists I mentioned above. I mainly want to add that to my own metal songs with a lot of distorted guitars.

I'd prefer to get an 88 key keyboard for as cheap price as cheap I can get it for (budget=~$200-300). I'm unsure if I should get a keyboard or midi controller? I have some programs that I can use a midi controller for and play away, but I don't know if it's a good idea if I should just get a keyboard with it's own patches and midi capabilities rather than just a controller with no patches?

What do you guys think?

is a pitch/mod whell really necessary? I want one because of all the prog keyboardists I like that have one, lol.

I just wanna use this keyboard with a synth program and to practice my own piano skills.

I would go with a seperate keyboard as opposed to a midi controller, for two reasons.

1. You don't have to boot up your computer every time you want to play.
2. It is much easier to gig with a real keyboard than a controller and a computer.

I suppose you could go with a controller and a seperate rack-module, but I would expect that to be out of your price range. I just like outboard keys better, so I suppose I am biased.

Hope that helped a bit.

tourettes5139 said:
I would go with a seperate keyboard as opposed to a midi controller, for two reasons.

1. You don't have to boot up your computer every time you want to play.
2. It is much easier to gig with a real keyboard than a controller and a computer.

I suppose you could go with a controller and a seperate rack-module, but I would expect that to be out of your price range. I just like outboard keys better, so I suppose I am biased.

Hope that helped a bit.

I agree with the first point, but the 2nd one right now is not necessary since I have never played live yet, even with my guitar. But down the line when I do play live, I'll make sure I have a decent keyboard for it if I use one.

Are there any cheap alternatives to a keyboard that has midi rather than just a midi controller?

What do you guys think about this keyboard:

Studiologic SL-880 PRO 88-Key Hammer-Action Controller---

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/search/detail/base_pid/708347/

Last edited:
Back